Bad B-King Tires!!!

cajunham

Registered
OK I've had the B-King for a week now. Only have 250 miles on her and I'm looking at the rear tire and what do I see....a freaking nail! WTF I say to myself! I really hate Dunlop Qualifiers. Every single one of them I've had has gotten a nail in it. Going on #4 now. What tire do you recommend? I'm thinking about going back with Conti Attacks or the Avon Storm ST. Anyone used the Avon's? What tires does everyone use or recommend? I had to post pics because the thread is useless without them!! Thanks

l_0307c4c13ef13c10f91143814ac8dcaf.jpg

l_fdd4db7f5dfcb0350cb3d3c87f7645cb.jpg

l_32ec633b50749ca95618b66ecd3eb5ee.jpg

l_27d07844df807968e2154b0ffab2ea92.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm Not sure how you can Blame the Dunlops for Picking up Nails. But I have a set of Avon Storms on my Hayabusa right now and am overall pretty happy with them. So far my favorite set of tires has been a Metzeler Combo Z6 Rear and M3 front. Great stick and decent mileage. The Avons are a close second at the moment but I may change my tune if I get better mileage than the Metzelers!

Not really blaming the Dunlop just have really bad luck with them because of the soft compound. Dallas is riddled with nails, screws and crap on the road. Just pissed me off that I've had 4 Qualifiers and everyone has gotten a nail in them and my Conti's and Metzler were fine. Just wanting to get other opinions on tires with the Busa and B-King.

A buddy of mine kept getting nails in his tires, thought it was bad luck. Until he realized they were doing some remodeling at work. They were ripping walls out and dropping nails on the way to the dumpster.

He rode past the construction debris dumpster every day. He finally put two and two together, had a look and saw a nail trail from the dumpster to the site.

Look for nail likely locations along your usual route, Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Give the Avons a shot! Do a search on here. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who hates them.

Not really blaming the Dunlop just have really bad luck with them because of the soft compound. Dallas is riddled with nails, screws and crap on the road. Just pissed me off that I've had 4 Qualifiers and everyone has gotten a nail in them and my Conti's and Metzler were fine. Just wanting to get other opinions on tires with the Busa and B-King.

Pilot powers are Pilot Road II would be good.

If you go with these, you'll have to step back to 190s in the rear, I think.

When I replace the Dunlops on my B-King, I may well stay with the Qualifiers, or perhaps look at the Michelin HPX, as I really like the look of the 200s.

BTW, I'm in Plano.

bkingaugust081.jpg

Last edited:
Give the Avons a shot! Do a search on here. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who hates them.

+1 Just replaced the rear. I got 6200 miles on the first with 90% of that being 2up spirited riding!

If it's performance you are looking for, you'll be hard pressed to find a better street tire than the qualifier. This is my favorite tire. 30#'s cold, both front and rear, give them a lap to warm up and you'll get as close to race tire grip as you'll find in any street tire.

As far as the Michelin PP's go, I would never put them on a bike I intended to spank. IMO those things give you really good odds of buying new plastic for your bike. Just this past Thursday I had a very nice young man on a ZX6 shod with the infamous PP's as a student. The kid had skills and was definately not afraid of the throttle or lean angle. He crashed twice in the same corner. I did not see the first crash but he told me the front gave up grip. One of our race friends had an extra brake lever to replace his broken one and he was off and running again. Two sessions later I was working with him and he crashed in the same corner. This time I was two bike lengths behind him. I could see nothing he did to cause the crash. He was on the proper line, lean angle was not quite to the foot pegs and the front gave up grip once again and down he went. This time it was broken lower plastic, broken rear set and brake side clip on. Ended his day.

I know many of you love your PP's and that's cool with me. I'd venture to say at least 75% of the street bikes that crash on track days are on PP's. I think PP's are fine for the average guy who does casual riding with the occasional spirited ride through the twisties. However, from my experience if you are going to spank them, you best be very smooth or you'll end up on your arse.

Thanks for the thoughts I think I'm going to give the Avon's a try. I ride daily for my commute so mileage is important for me and I ride hard just not enough to really need the performance of the Qualifier. They are just too soft of a compound for me. I haven't seen anyone here in Dallas on a B-King. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Tufbusa, thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with the Dunlops after reading your post. I don't ride particularly hard, but sticky is good. I'll just chuck 'em a little more often, perhaps.

Back