Tire rubbing, help.

69ls1

Registered
I have a RCC turbo kit. I am getting a very slight tire rub on the radiator. I assume it is happening under braking at the dragstrip. I am thinking on going to a 120/60/17 series tire. What are the pro's and con's of using the smaller tire? How does it change the handling? Is the tire actually only 12mm shorter than the 120/70/17 tire? Any other concerns?

Thanks.

you failed to mention some important details, is the bike lowered?

if the bike is lowered, going to a smaller tire and worring about handling should be the least concern . it wont make a difference since a lowered bikes handling is more affected by it being lowered than being affected by a smaller tire. 12mm is not much but in theory it will steepen the rake angle and cause the bike to steer sharper with faster turn in.

if the bike is stock ride height, rubbing is probably due to incorrect sag settings and lack of compression damping. set sag to 30mm and stiffen the compression damping until it feels right.

60 series is the first step to getting less to no tire rub
is the turbo pushing the rad out more? if possible can you pull the rad in or up and in?
just asking some kits allow for the rad to have some room
is there a second fan that is causing the rad to be pushed out a hair

The turbo is holding the rad out some. I could move it back a little, but the fans are getting close to the headers. I have about a half inch of clearance now between the fans and headers. The rad is also close to the turbo. I will check on moving the whole rad up also.

Is this a bigger than normal(street type) turbo? Cause if I have slight rubbing with an intercooler and do not have an intercooler, either your suspension is shot, head bearings are loose and/or you are a lot lower than 2".

After doing every trick in the book plus a few of my own tricks to get maximized clearance for my intercooler w/o raking and/or intercooler notching, I have slight rubbing under braking when lowered in the front by 3/4 - 1". I have better fork springs up front and have the rear lowered about 2".

I just installed my turbo and had the same rubbing with the lowered front under heavy braking. I reversed the stock lower Rad bracket so it would go around the turbo and installed a long bolt with spacer into the long slot of the bracket and moved the rad lower side back to about 1/4 inch from the headers. I have no melting problems yet.

I just installed my turbo and had the same rubbing with the lowered front under heavy braking.  I reversed the stock lower Rad bracket so it would go around the turbo and installed a long bolt with spacer into the long slot of the bracket and moved the rad lower side back to about 1/4 inch from the headers.  I have no melting problems yet.
Have Muzy blade?

wish i had the problem!
beerchug.gif

i messed up a couple radiators with the front tire, now i have a cut rad no fan thing pulled back to the headers, 120/60 tire to, now the only thing the tire rubs is my bottom triple clamp.
laugh.gif

You can push your stock rad. right up against the header(use heat shield tape on fan housing) your second fan should clear. I used a 65 series tire for awhile, then it started to rub intercooler, now running a 60 series. You should also upgrade front springs(I did), as this will benefit your bike in other aspects also(braking, handling). Between all these things you should gain plenty of clearance. I would rather have a 65 series as the 60 is ok,but would be happier with the 65 for the twisties.But if your just straight line, the 60 is even better, since the front is even lower. GOOD LUCK
thumb_up.gif

beerchug.gif

Back