Question about tire sizes...please advise

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
My bro needs a new set of tires and I see link rtgt was nice enough to provide. Great price.
My question is bros ZZR600 has 120/65/17 on the front and only one available I see in set offered is 120/70/17 ? I could get a 120/60/17 maybe but not the oem size in the tires on sale.

What do y'all think a 70 instead of a 65 or a 60 ?
What will the diff be either way ?

Thanks

minimal difference in a 70 series tire that's only 120mm to begin with vs a 65 series....

84mm vs 78mm - about a quarter inch so what...1/8" on each side if my math is right.

Both are 120s but I can only get a 60 or a 70 when 65 is oem.
I believe the middle number is ride height not width. Dont think any will be any wider or skinnier. I think one may be lower and one be higher in the crown areas.
Very small diff but if you knew my bro even a 120/66/17 would screw his brain up !

Cmon where are the org Gods when you need them ?
Cant sleep unless I buy something online before I go to bed.

explaining tires:

120: maximum width of the tire.

70: aspect ratio - the 70 indicates that the sidewall height is 70% of the width.

17: wheel size, in inches.

if he runs a 70 instead of a 65, he will have NO problems whatsoever, and probably wont even notice that it rides differently.

Both are 120s but I can only get a 60 or a 70 when 65 is oem.
I believe the middle number is ride height not width. Dont think any will be any wider or skinnier. I think one may be lower and one be higher in the crown areas.
Very small diff but if you knew my bro even a 120/66/17 would screw his brain up !

Cmon where are the org Gods when you need them ?
Cant sleep unless I buy something online before I go to bed.

The first number is the tire width in millimeters. The second is the percentage of the width in height - again in millimeters. The last is the wheel size. So a 120/70/17 is a 120mm tire, profile is 70% of 120mm and a 17" wheel. Capiche? :thumbsup:

So there is no way an anal retentive older bro could say anything other than thank you if I buy a 120/70/17 huh ?

Not gonna say 'it rides diff, I dont like it"

He aint Rossi and we ride on flat roads.
At 4k his back tire has angles on it where you can see the mid section worn flat. Its a little worrysome to me. Just doesnt look right.

look at it this way: your tread depth on a tire is what, 8 mm? so, on a bald tire, you're down 16 mm on overall diameter.

a 70 series is gonna be about 7 mm taller than a 65 series - less than the difference in tread depth.

So there is no way an anal retentive older bro could say anything other than thank you if I buy a 120/70/17 huh ?

Not gonna say 'it rides diff, I dont like it"

He aint Rossi and we ride on flat roads.
At 4k his back tire has angles on it where you can see the mid section worn flat. Its a little worrysome to me. Just doesnt look right.
Dude if he's THAT anal retentive he shouldn't be riding a Kawi in the first place! :rofl:

Just tell him the new size is better. "Hey Bro, everyone on the Org says thier bikes feel better with this tire, they should know, they all have Busa's":laugh:

You have no idea how bad he is.
He once traded a S&W mod 19 he waited 6 weeks for one day after getting it cuz the #4 cylinder had a loose lock up !

I still tease him about that....
Everytime he asks me ANYTHING..I say '''mmm dont know I think #4 cyl is loose":rofl:
He just looks at me......

You have no idea how bad he is.
He once traded a S&W mod 19 he waited 6 weeks for one day after getting it cuz the #4 cylinder had a loose lock up !

I still tease him about that....
Everytime he asks me ANYTHING..I say '''mmm dont know I think #4 cyl is loose":rofl:
He just looks at me......
You know they have medication for that right?? :laugh:

Only issue he may have which is doubtful. Fender clearance. Just check it to be sure I'd say but highly unlikey the 5percent will make it rub.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hes Obsessive Compulsive and eats meds like tic tacs....dont work.
High tolerance.......200mgs to wake up....

Hes Obsessive Compulsive and eats meds like tic tacs....dont work.
High tolerance.......200mgs to wake up....

Well then, try a bull elephant tranquilizer dart....that should slow him down! :rofl:

Funny thing, I was watching a program on Animal Planet late last night, they were in Sri Lanka and there to help relocate a bull elephant who was entering puberty. I think they said their testosterone spikes to like 60 times normal, something absurd like that....anyway the tranq they were using they said would kill an adult human in 7 seconds. :laugh:

said would kill an adult human in 7 seconds

hah I'll take two please !

The size of the darts would be enough to scare anyone off. And you want 2 of them? :rofl:

The poor elephant had been shot several times yet the pellets were still embedded in his skin and they were able to dig them right out, more like superficial wounds. After they tranq'd him they removed all the buckshot from his hide, then roped him up to prep him for transport. Their skin is extremely thick and it takes one heck of a needle to get through. No way in heck you'd want anything to do with one of those needles, let alone 2! :laugh:

Only issue he may have which is doubtful. Fender clearance. Just check it to be sure I'd say but highly unlikey the 5percent will make it rub.
Posted via Mobile Device

YOU will have NO clearance issues.

60 or 70 it don't matter. He will not notice the difference. I run a 70 on my track bike.

Back