Front tire touching the turbocharger

gulag

Registered
Hi gang..

I have a Gen1 Busa, with a Stage 1 Hahn's setup.. I see that the front tire is slightly touching the turbocharger,,
It worries me a bit, especially if at some point the front wheel will wedge against the TC and lock up.. not a nice thought...

Do any of you have this problem? and if so, how do you solve it ?
I have a 120/70/17 front tire,

thanks in advance from the snow here in Iceland....

Hi gang..

I have a Gen1 Busa, with a Stage 1 Hahn's setup..
I see that the front tire is slightly touching the turbocharger,,
It worries me a bit, especially if at some point the front wheel will wedge against the TC and lock up..

not a nice thought...

Do any of you have this problem?

and if so, how do you solve it ?

I have a 120/70/17 front tire,

thanks in advance from the snow here in Iceland....

Get a shorter front tire . . .

Red, *<(:{)-

The cheapest way is to get the tire. What I would do (and this is only what I would do) Is to fix the problem the Right Way. Either see if you can some how move the turbo Back on the Header Flange so the Turbo gets closer to the motor or Get the RCC Header. Keep in mind that depending on how much the Turbo is moved back, you may have to move oil lines and deal with the exhaust and/or the intake air filter and where the exhaust sits and hooks up. I had this problem with moving the Turbo in the opposite direction away from the motor. I also had to re-clock the turbo so the oil outlet was level at the bottom. Good Luck my friend. :thumbsup:

I have never seen the front tire even close to the turbo on any Hahn setup, even with the optional Super 20G. Something else is going on here. Is the front end lowered at all? You cannot slide the fork tubes up in the stock triple trees more than 3/4" before the "taper" of the fork leg starts to go into the lower tree. I have seen many riders do this and its dangerous. It is not safe to clamp down on a tapered leg. If the front end is not lowered either internally or externally, something else is amiss. Going to a 120/60-17 front tire makes the Busa handle like a bag of sh**, that would be the last option, and only hopefully for a drag bike. One other thing: whenever you install a turbo header, the bottom run of bolts should be tightened first, and then the top; this pulls the header closer to the motor. Make sure you only have one exhaust gasket in each port and use this tightening sequence . . .:rulez:

thanks gang, its not lowered, and actually, I did not tighten the header the way you recommend Frank,, I will try that and see if it helps.
I would rather do anything else than going for the 120/60/17, So im gonna check this...

thanks again..

WOW..Thanks for that info Frank. The problem that I had was totally opposite. I must hast have a real bad designed header or the thing warped or something! No matter what I did, I couldn't get it so that the Turbo wouldn't hit the motor. I went crazy. I ended up drilling out the holes in the flange where the turbo bolts to the header so that I could pull the turbo housing off of the motor. Had to grind the inside of the turbo and header flanges for air flow, new oil lines etc. Freakin' Nightmare!! I don't think the velocity headers back in 2004 were all that great anyway. It was like when they installed it, they put a 1/2" piece of wood between the turbo and the motor and just tightened it up. I just didn't want to re-install it like that. It seemed too half azz. I am so glad that Turbo kits have gotten much better. Those RCC kit's are an easy choice.

well, couldnt wait and went to the garage tonight, I loosened the headers and retightened them bottom bolts first and hoila.. the turbocharger moved back 4mm, which is probably more than enough...

thanks Frank for the tip... you da man...:thumbsup:

Back