Tire question

Batman#1

BatBusa
Donating Member
Registered
I need a new rear tire, I have the stock front on. can I put like a pilot power on the rear? or will i run into problems with the different grip, or worming up at different times or temps?

I have a same situation, I had a flat on rear, so I've got a M-1 on rear and stock in front. And I don't like front already, I'll get some excuse to change the front...
biggrin.gif

If you stay with the same brand (as on the front) and stay close to the same rubber compound, you'll be fine. The problems start when you have completely different characteristics between the front and back tire.

If you stay with the same brand (as on the front) and stay close to the same rubber compound, you'll be fine. The problems start when you have completely different characteristics between the front and back tire.
+ 1/2 you dont need to stick with the same brand but you do nee to stick with the same handling characteristics .

As long as you obey the speed limit, you'll be fine. I have run different tires for stunting but never exceed 100mph. Hard cornering can get you into trouble. If I were you, I'd buy a matching rear for the front, then change them both when the front is toasted. If you don't like the stock tires, just change them both. It is important to stay with the same tires, both front and rear.

I've had some people say no big deal but I'm kinda picky It would bug me to have a different tire on even if it was/is okay
so I'm gonna go same/same just me I guess
wink.gif

The rear Bridgestone stocker was toast in 3k miles. I changed the rear to a BT-014 and it has worked great with the original front. I never run different brands. I guess I just figure that the manufacturer runs close to the same designs and rubber (lot) than possibly going to a completely different designed and manufactured tire somewhere else in the world.???

Yes you can mix and match. Just make sure you keep an equal or softer compound on the front.

when my stock Bridgestone was toast, I put a Dunlop 208 on the rear. I just changed tires again and replaced the front too even though it had more life left at 13500 mi. I had no problems with a Bridgestone front and Dunlop rear.

I need a new rear tire, I have the stock front on.  can I put like a pilot power on the rear? or will i run into problems with the different grip, or worming up at different times or temps?
Just put a pilot power on the rear, still have the stock front. Only have 75 miles so far but the PP is one sweet tire. The busa handles soooooooooo much better
beerchug.gif

Mileage ridden so far includes stint up to 100, and twisties. No issues at all mixing the two tires. In fact, I had to tell myself to slow down in the twisties as the PP is not scrubbed in yet.

Hope this helps
cool.gif

In a Short term, NO !! All manufactures say to stay away from mixing tire types AND Brands. They are designed to work together as complementing  units. When you change the type or brand of one, neither tire is designed to work as designed and could cause handling problems in touchy situations. Especially in the rain
cool.gif

Thanks for all your input, I think I will go with a battlax BT-012ss, or just change them both out to a PP. Thanks alot!

Yes you can mix and match...just use Sport tires with similar characteristics
biggrin.gif

Don't use Sport tires with Touring tires
wow.gif

when my stock Bridgestone was toast, I put a Dunlop 208 on the rear. I just changed tires again and replaced the front too even though it had more life left at 13500 mi. I had no problems with a Bridgestone front and Dunlop rear.
+1 on that. bought my bike with brand-new D-208 for rear n Bridgestone B-014 on front, slightly used. had no problems n ran front all season...just got new set f/r Dunlop Qualifiers. Workin good, had'er up to 180mph...i think(no speedo healer) with no jitters.
try it for awhile, in the corners is where u'd notice the difference, if there is any.

Back