Tire pressure........

Depends on the tire as well as what you want to tire to do. There is no "All Purpose" tire pressure. I run anywhere from 30 to 36 psi, depending on O.A.T (Outside Air Temp) and what I want the tire to do.

Street, anywhere from 34-42...depends on the tire, road conditions...and what type of riding I am doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

I run at 35 to 37 on the everyday commute to work, but lower it to about 32 - 35 for weekend Fun.

I use the 10% rule.
That will take into account the OAT temp and how you ride.
Reg Pridmore:

Reg Tire Inflation.jpg

OK. So, Lee's Cycle says to use 34 lbs. on the street. I had a conversation with Golden Child and he says to use 40-42. I do a lot of slab riding and 15-20% twisties. Does this info pin it down a little closer? I'm leaving for a short ride at 6:30 this morning, want to get out before the sun melts me (105 yesterday). I'm going to try 38 for today, but other recommendations are welcome.

40-42? I don't think Golden Child had his morning shot of caffeine when he told you that. I don't think you'll find any experienced rider who would agree on that one. 40 psi certainly won't hurt the tire but it will the as hard as a rock and the contact patch my be reduced to the size of a nickle? But, you will get better fuel mileage, no doubt.

I'm running HPX's and I had Elena on the back, ran two-up "hard" and 40 psi never had me wondering "once" if I was gonna stick through this hairpin it just kept on delivering.......now let's see a BT056J do that..... :oldcool:

It's going to depend on the tire. Most manufacturers list the recommended pressure for their tires. If they don't have a tire specific pressure listed, you should go by the owners manual. You need to choose the tire that best fits the riding you do.

AVON Storm 42/42
Michelin Power Race 22-24/31-34 depending on temperature

Geez ... I run the manual's recommended 42 psi all the time.

I recall reading a technical article by Kevin Cameron in Cycle World, and he recommended running the cycle manufacturer's recommended pressure, rather than the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Interesting thread.

OK. So, Lee's Cycle says to use 34 lbs. on the street. I had a conversation with Golden Child and he says to use 40-42. I do a lot of slab riding and 15-20% twisties. Does this info pin it down a little closer? I'm leaving for a short ride at 6:30 this morning, want to get out before the sun melts me (105 yesterday). I'm going to try 38 for today, but other recommendations are welcome.

Since you ride mostly slab, keep it to 38-42 :beerchug:

For general weekend rides in the country, I run 35-36 in the front and 37-38 in the rear. Commuting I will go up to 37 front and 40 rear. Slabbing, total interstate with the only corners being the off/on ramps for gas and food, 40 front and 42 rear.

I always ran 40lbs upfront and no more than 20lbs in rear. My bikes were always real long and that kept them from just torching the tire on the street. But no twisties here. Just a lil playing around and a 1/4mile at a time. Have ran it as low as 12lbs on street, cocked and loaded

40-42? I don't think Golden Child had his morning shot of caffeine when he told you that. I don't think you'll find any experienced rider who would agree on that one. 40 psi certainly won't hurt the tire but it will the as hard as a rock and the contact patch my be reduced to the size of a nickle? But, you will get better fuel mileage, no doubt.

I guess I'm now inexperienced.. ???

You'll run them where you like..i'll sell you all the tires you like...

I have an 09 and keep my tire pressure at 42 as recommended by the manual. I also mainly use the bike for commuting to work and running the occasional errand.

Back