Tire Pressure PSI

Aashish

Registered
I have an Orange Black 2008 Hayabusa and wanted to understand what PSIs are people running their GEN II Busas on for street/highway use. The manual says 42 psi for both front and rear, this I am assuming is for when 2 people are on the bike. What is recommended for best grip and braking? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

42-42 with or without pillion and luggage. And boy do I notice when it drops a couple of psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set when cold and before traveling on the road, 42-42 for general riding is too high for me. Especially in Summer, where the PSI can go up by 6-8 on the hot tarmac.
If I have a passenger, I will run both PSI at 39/40. Otherwise 38-38 is perfect for me.
I rode a whole set of rubber on 42-42 religiously and all that happened was that the middle wore out rapidly (to useless) and the sides had quite a bit left at 7000km.

Not sure if tire PSI ai all tha different for GenI or GenII. I did my first track day and they made me set my pressure pretty low. 29 in back 31 in front. Two sessions later PSI went up 6 pounds in both tires.

When i rode on the street yesterday, i went with 35 rear 37 front and it felt real good. I had always been a 41-42 PSi guy. I'm switching now. Most of our roads are curvey...

I am in the UK by the way and it never gets that hot, so best to experiment and find what works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the tire you use should be taken into consideration also.

Very important factor right here. Also what is your definition of everyday riding?

I generaly run about 35 psi for street use, a little lower if I think I may be playing around on some curves.

I was told that running low PSI (I always ran 38/40) on the highway will cause the flat spot sooner ?
I still go with 36 to 38 on the curvy roads .
I also thought you wanted the front lower than the rear....not true ?

On my Gen 1 with sport tires (Powers, 016's, etc..), 35F-37R. Sport touring tires (Road 2s), I'll go up 1-2 lb on both ends.
I avoid straight sections of road as much as possible.
2 up, raise it to 40R-38F.

I run 41 at both ends all the time on the street with Dunlop Q2s. But that is just me everyone is different.

I was told that running low PSI (I always ran 38/40) on the highway will cause the flat spot sooner ?
I still go with 36 to 38 on the curvy roads .
I also thought you wanted the front lower than the rear....not true ?

Kenny, the reason you run less air in the rear is because the rear works harder than the front and creates more heat which raises the pressure more.

For street tires it's usually only 2-3 pounds different but some race tires have a spread of over ten psi cold.

Roads on which I ride in India are long straights with moderate amount of curves. Temperatures in summer reach 110F+, winter never lower than 45F. Hope this helps...

You definitely do not need a soft compound rubber for the heat. Perhaps a 2 compound set-up is the way to go for you, if you are most riding upright and leaning moderately.
Metzler M5's would be very good as well, but for your useage, Dunlop RoadSmarts are hard to beat.
O.

Back