One more tire question, please

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I have a very new set of Michelin CTs on my 05. The manual says 42 psi, and the side of the tire says 42 psi.

42 psi is too damn hard (IMHO). I would prefer to have them at say 38 rear and 36 front. Lets say up to 140 mph (on occasion). In my area the roads are all chip seal. If you not familiar, that is where a layer of felt is put over the old surface, then a teaspoon of asphalt, followed by a layer of 1/2" chips is poured on until it looks like a gravel road. A roller makes a couple of passes, and traffic is used to push the surface into a smooth looking but rough road. The windshield repair business is astronomical.

Anyway, a lower pressure would reduce a lot of road induced vibration. So, how low do you think is too low?

have always run 42 front and rear on my 08 with no problems. I have seen guys on here running anywhere from 34psi to 42. I think the lowest i have seen someone recommend is 34.

I ran a set of 2CTs on my 08 (still have the front on). 34 to 36 is what I usualy keep them at. You should have no issues.

I ran a set of 2CTs on my 08 (still have the front on). 34 to 36 is what I usualy keep them at. You should have no issues.

Thanks for the info. If I were going to run it up to the top end, I would leave it at 42. But, around town, lower pressure is much a much softer, pleasant ride. You like your CTs? I think they are really good tires.

Last edited:
have always run 42 front and rear on my 08 with no problems. I have seen guys on here running anywhere from 34psi to 42. I think the lowest i have seen someone recommend is 34.

I'll be you live where they have all that high tech stuff like asphalt and concrete :laugh:

Thanks for the info. If I were going to run it up to the top end, I would leave it at 42. But, around town, lower pressure is much a much softer, pleasant ride. You like your CTs? I think they are really good tires.

Hey no problem :beerchug: I'm not so sure 42 psi is what you would want to run for top end blasts... 42 psi would probably be best for casual riding.

My thoughts on the 2CTs...

Well they did fine for me as a street tire, never had any issues. Only thing i didn't like about them was all the horror stories I hear about them letting go unexpectedly. Mind you this is during very aggressive riding(think track days) not normal riding or really even aggressive street riding. If I could get them cheap enough I'd run them as a street tire again.

If lowering the pressure doesn't work for you, maybe try fooling around with you suspension settings a little, or even going to a different tire. Some tires give less feed back than others.

Good Luck!

Hey no problem :beerchug: I'm not so sure 42 psi is what you would want to run for top end blasts... 42 psi would probably be best for casual riding.

My thoughts on the 2CTs...

Well they did fine for me as a street tire, never had any issues. Only thing i didn't like about them was all the horror stories I hear about them letting go unexpectedly. Mind you this is during very aggressive riding(think track days) not normal riding or really even aggressive street riding. If I could get them cheap enough I'd run them as a street tire again.

If lowering the pressure doesn't work for you, maybe try fooling around with you suspension settings a little, or even going to a different tire. Some tires give less feed back than others.

Good Luck!

I tried 38/36 and 38/38. I like 38 the best. Feels a little more sticky. I haven't read any of the horror stories, but you are making me nervous. What's your favorite tire?

I have heard and read a few stories here and there of Pilot Powers just "letting go" kind of just kept them in a mental file in the back of my mind... Then about a month ago a friend of mine, who is actually a very good rider, had an incident on the street which landed him the ICU for a week. When I asked him what happened he blamed it on the front tire unexpectedly letting go and was convinced that it shouldn't have let go like that.

My favorite tire for street duty right now would be the Dunlop Qualifier 2. I've ran them on both the track and the street without disappointment.

Back