Tire Pressure Poll

Tire pressure Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I now have a set of Avon Storms and want the best mileage I can get

42psi for maximum mileage on the street.

All this talk about 10% rule, should I use 33 and 3/4 or 34 and 1/32psi if it's a sunny day and the moon is in Jupiter and the sacrificial goat has liver spots, is good for the track or for riding way to fast on the street, but, if your criterion is "best mileage", which it seems to be, as that is what you have indicated in your post, and you have purchased Avon Storms which is a set of sport touring tires, then the answer is 42.

you are welcome.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

42psi for maximum mileage on the street.

All this talk about 10% rule, should I use 33 and 3/4 or 34 and 1/32psi if it's a sunny day and the moon is in Jupiter and the sacrificial goat has liver spots, is good for the track or for riding way to fast on the street, but, if your criterion is "best mileage", which it seems to be, as that is what you have indicated in your post, and you have purchased Avon Storms which is a set of sport touring tires, then the answer is 42.

you are welcome.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

That is true.
The higher the tire pressure, the better the mileage, but a really hard tire does not handle as well.
The weight of the rider adds to it too, as well as the temp of the pavement.
It is 34 degrees here today (very balmy ??? ), and if I compared that to the guys who were 104 degrees yesterday, that is a big difference.

I don't think I could get my tires warm today with a blow torch.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to take the temp of a tire that started at say 30 pounds and got to 36 pounds hot, and compare it to one that started at 33 pounds and got to 36 pounds hot.

That's sorta what I was going to check this weekend. :whistle::thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's sorta what I was going to check this weekend. :whistle::thumbsup:
I think it will boil down to two factors:

overall tire heat
time to operating temp

From what I have gleaned from TufBusa's posts you have a couple considerations (and this is pretty much track related but could apply to street)..

By starting out at 30 psi, I create a condition that heats the tire quicker.
By starting out at say 33 psi, I have a tire that will heat slower

During a 20 minute session, I found it took about 6 minutes (3 laps) for the tire to feel "up to temp" at the 33 psi

Running at 30 psi, it took only about half that time.. (at 27, the bike was so wishy washy I felt insecure on it)

I guess the question is if both tires reach 36 PSI at temp, it would seem that the 30 psi tire would be hotter..

If the tire starts to feel greasy, you would want to start out at a higher starting pressure then? At what point is the tire overheated?

IF that is true, seems a more experienced rider would want more air initially so he could ride the bike harder.. conundrum is that 1.5 lap warm up time.. (fast is smooth, smooth is easier on tires, and so even slower warm up time?)

does he loose so much ground in that time that the pokey guy might actually beat him?

So much for simple answers on tire pressures... Tuf what say you?

The competition racers use tire warmers, and I would asssume their tires are as close to operating temp as they can be, when the pull onto the track.
I don't do track days but if I did I would like my tire to run as cool as possible with the maximum grip.
There is no sense having it hotter, once maximum grip is achieved. JMO

Lots of info in this thread.
Thanks guys!

Back