Tire Pressure Poll

Tire pressure Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok folks, here is the deal. I just had a bad time with the BT-021. I used to run 40psi, on both sets of Bridgestones that have been on my bike. I have read post that say psi is best at 42, others say 38, or even lower. I now have a set of Avon Storms and want the best mileage I can get out of these tires because I want to try them out. I run 2 up most of the time(95%), what say you? The bike shop said run no more than 38 for optimal performance. Please advise.

Last edited:
I use the 10% rule.
The tires should be 10% more when hot then when they are cold.
On my BT016 that is 33 cold (and reads 36.5 hot) both front and rear.
My PP's were front 36, rear 37.

James, you already know that the tire was the issue, not your inflation.. I had that tire on for Eureka springs last year and complained about how it felt from day one.. We both know how that went..

You do not push your bike very hard but you do ride 2 up quite a bit.. I am sure that will have some effect on your pressure setting..

I am most anxious to hear how you like the Avon myself.. I have to put something on my rims other than the BT002RS for the street and am thinking that the Avon might be the way to go for me too.. (still kicking around the BT016)..

BTW I put 38 psi.. but that is only when I am on longer rides.. For riding to work, I keep them at 42..

Now the other exception is my two track days so far.. started with 30/27 (F/R) and ended up running 30/29 (36psi hot off track on BT002RS) You about ready to do track day? :)

Last edited:
Thanks Mike.

Randy, your right, I know it was the tire on the 21's, and no, I only wish I could do a track day this year. :beerchug:

i run 38=rear and 36= front regardless of brand tire. 40 feels unstable to me.

interesting 10% article... I'm gonna have to check if the tire's pressure increases less if you have a higher starting pressure.

Somewhere on my work bench I wrote down my tire pressure and size vs tire temp and I think it was over 10%. ???

James, try 38 front and rear for solo riding...for 2 up 40-42 rear and leave the front @38 :beerchug:

I run Pirelli race tires and my magical hot numbers are 29 rear 31 front. I usually start with 25/28. If hot pressure turns out to be a pound or two over, I lower the pressure a pound or two. If hot pressure is to low, I add an equal amount. So the 10% rule may work on some tires, it doesn't work on all tires.

Street tire pressure depends mostly on load, not temp. The heavier the load the more airpressure is required. Most syreet tires will work fine anywhere between 30 & 42 psi depending on load. Never overload a tire with low psi. The tire can overheat and fail.

I have to put something on my rims other than the BT002RS for the street and am thinking that the Avon might be the way to go for me too.. (still kicking around the BT016)..
:)

Randyman, if I were you, I'd stay with a bridgestone tire. If you are going to run the BT002's on the track, run a bridgestone on the streets (Preferably the 016) Changing brands will change your suspension. It's wise to keep the same brand tire when switching from street to track and back. You will become much more comfortable on your bike if it handles the same on the track as it does on the streets. Just my opinion of course but I've found this theory works for most people.

Randyman, if I were you, I'd stay with a bridgestone tire. If you are going to run the BT002's on the track, run a bridgestone on the streets (Preferably the 016) Changing brands will change your suspension. It's wise to keep the same brand tire when switching from street to track and back. You will become much more comfortable on your bike if it handles the same on the track as it does on the streets. Just my opinion of course but I've found this theory works for most people.
Very good, thanks.. :) Hey on the "10%" rule... I am conflicted..

On first track day I ran from 27 (too wishy washy) to 33.. I went down a pound per session until I got that squishy feeling again for more than a lap.. found that right around 29, the tires were biting hard within the first lap and were not wishy washy.. I stayed with these pressures on the second day and did not fool around with them any more.

however, both front and rear were at 36 psi following session.. comment?

On first track day I ran from 27 (too wishy washy) to 33.. I went down a pound per session until I got that squishy feeling again for more than a lap.. found that right around 29, the tires were biting hard within the first lap and were not wishy washy.. I stayed with these pressures on the second day and did not fool around with them any more.

35-36psi 'hot' is good :thumbsup:

I looked a long time for someone of knowledge to step up and commit to tire pressures.
I called Michelin and Bridgestone and they won't say what the pressures should be.
That piece from Pridmore is the only thing I could find that even gave a clue as to a rule of thumb setting.
This topic really varies, and there are a lot of personal preferences, but like a lot of things, whatever works for the individual guy is best.
(even if it is 90W...sorry Tuf) :laugh:

I looked a long time for someone of knowledge to step up and commit to tire pressures.
I called Michelin and Bridgestone and they won't say what the pressures should be.
That piece from Pridmore is the only thing I could find that even gave a clue as to a rule of thumb setting.
This topic really varies, and there are a lot of personal preferences, but like a lot of things, whatever works for the individual guy is best.
(even if it is 90W...sorry Tuf) :laugh:
problem that it felt like I had was that the tires took too long to warm up..

I don't know about the 002's as I've never experimented with them. CharlesBusa and BABUSA both say 36 psi hot so I assume that is correct or at least close. If I had to guess, I'd say that may be a pound or two high but I really don't know?

problem that it felt like I had was that the tires took too long to warm up..

If you want to end up at 36, then would you be able to get there if you started at 33?
That would fall into the 10% rule.
I would try it and see. JMO

I think if a tire is run with too low pressure to start, it will heat up, but to a greater extent, which would hurt the tire, overall.
I think the 10% rule lets it heat up only to a point where the heat in the tire is at a tolerable level.
Both the low cold level tire and the 10% tire may get to 36 pounds when hot, but the low tire will be operating at a higher temp to get that pressure, which could be hard on the sidewalls and tread.

It would be interesting to take the temp of a tire that started at say 30 pounds and got to 36 pounds hot, and compare it to one that started at 33 pounds and got to 36 pounds hot.
My logic says the 30 pound one would have an overall higher temp to get the smaller volume of air up to the same hot temp.

But I may just be full of hot air, and not abiding by the 10% rule. :laugh:

Last edited:
Back