Tire pressure for track

How about on the street? I believe that the recommended tire pressure for everyday riding is 44psi cold, front and back, right? Do you keep it the same when riding hard in the twisties or the above recommendation apply here as well?

Thanks.

Here's the reason for the high pressure recommendation in the owner's manual - Suzuki is giving you that pressure because it ensure's the tires are inflated enough to carry MAX LOAD (2 Adults). You don't need 44 lbs. to carry one 180lb rider, but you sure as heck could if you put two 250LB riders on it.....

Here's the reason for the high pressure recommendation in the owner's manual - Suzuki is giving you that pressure because it ensure's the tires are inflated enough to carry MAX LOAD (2 Adults). You don't need 44 lbs. to carry one 180lb rider, but you sure as heck could if you put two 250LB riders on it.....
Exactly stated skydivr. Liability is the word I think you are trying to say. Imagine two 250 Lb riders on one bike go into a tight turn with to low of a tire pressure, wipe out and die. Picture the civil lawsuit the surviving family would have against Suzuki. Most of us want to believe that engineers at Suzuki have spent thousands of hours in Research & Development testing motorcycle tire pressures and determined that for the best performance, 44 psi should be maintained in the front and rear tires. In all actuality, the law firm that represents Suzuki recommended 44 psi to avoid lawsuits from surviving crash victim's families. The bottom line is, if two 250 LB people are riding on one bike, 44 psi would be an appropriate psi. If you don't fall into this category and you are of normal weight, 34 psi front, 36 psi rear is a great place to start.

Suzuki recommends 42 psi (Not 44) because that's what the tire manufacturer recommends. If you look on the stock BTO16 rear you'll see "Load Range 805 lbs at 42 psi". The 42 psi is all about max load carrying capacity. Suzuki could care less about the relationship between pressure & grip but if the tire fails and causes a crash, it can generate a lawsuit against suzuki as well as the tire manufacturer.

All DOT tires sold in the US will carry a stamp in the sidewall with load capacity @ max psi. This simply means the tire can carry X-pounds of load at Y-pounds of pressure (cold).

Suzuki recommends 42 psi (Not 44) because that's what the tire manufacturer recommends. If you look on the stock BTO16 rear you'll see "Load Range 805 lbs at 42 psi". The 42 psi is all about max load carrying capacity. Suzuki could care less about the relationship between pressure & grip but if the tire fails and causes a crash, it can generate a lawsuit against suzuki as well as the tire manufacturer.

All DOT tires sold in the US will carry a stamp in the sidewall with load capacity @ max psi. This simply means the tire can carry X-pounds of load at Y-pounds of pressure (cold).

FINALLY you freakin posted!

Great info... screw max psi!

Will not apply this psi unless I have 1.5 of me riding on back.

You prove my point, and i will also give you the benefit of my, and some others around here, bad experiences in the hope you won't make a mistake like we did....if your tires are handing bad, REPLACE THEM. If they are 2 years old as your OEM's are now, REPLACE THEM. If they are "slippery in wet/cold", REPLACE THEM! The cost of the new tires is minor compared to the cost of new plastics, gear and hospital bills, all for just trying to "finish these babies off". You can find a set of Dunlop Q2's for around $300 on the net if you watch for them.

I sure wish I could take back the last time I tried to "finish off" a set of tires (Crashed), when I had a brand spanking new set in the back of my pickup ready to mount.....
Thanks Skydivr. Point taken.

Back