Tire Irony

Scooter

Registered
I'm tire shopping right now, so I did a search on tires. There are a TON of posts! After all the reading, I've made some observations.

Just thinking out loud here. Stay with me...

There are three types of riders: Those that ride HARD. Those that ride like grannies. And, like me, those that are somewhere in-between.

"Hard riders" (aka Racers, Stunters, etc.) go through tires like mad. They need sticky compound tires, and will use the tires to their full capability. However, whatever brand they try, whether they like them or not, they have to replace them in a couple months anyway. So they always try the latest tire. Eventually they will try all the brands out there and rarely be "satisfied". (Seriously, they say, "s are the best tires I've ever used, but next time I'm going to try the s.")

"Granny riders" seem to make tires last forever. It doesn't matter how sticky the compound, they get a bazillion miles out of their tires. These riders never approach the limitations of the tires, so it doesn't really matter how well the tires could perform. As long as their tires are round and black, they'll like them.

In-between riders are the ones who need a balance of mileage and sticky. This is tough to figure out.

We constantly see posts asking, "What's the best tire for high mileage AND grip in the corners?" And the ironic thing is, the answers that follow are usually like this: "I get 10,000 miles out of my _ so you should try them." Or, "I change my tires every 4 weeks, so you might want to try _."

Do you see why these answers don't help us "in-betweeners"?

(In fairness, I have seen posts that ask for the stickiest tires no matter the mileage and vice versa.)

Seriously, my guess is that you're a "hard rider" if you get less than 2,500 miles on the stock tire. You're a "granny" if you get more than 6,500 miles. Does that sound about right?

So whats my point? Well, I think it might be a good idea if folks would evaluate their riding style and post their tire findings in a centralized location. Perhaps a pinned post for each riding style.

Thoughts?

I'd be all for this. I know I asked for advice just last this week and got a huge range of responses. The confusing part was people posting wildly different mileages for the same tire. For example, I had several people recommend Pilot Powers, but the claimed mileages ranged from 2000 miles to 15,000 miles.
rock.gif

It would be really nice to have a section like you're proposing and possibly a tire rating scale that people could post to rate stickiness, longetivity, etc.

Really sounds about right. It has been my experience the very first thing one needs to do when contemplating the purchase of new tires is to establish the true use of your bike. Is it a commuter? Are you a sport touring guy taking longer trips? Or do you only pull the bike out when you can get fully geared out for a few hours of hard and fast riding in the country? Second: what is your true riding style? Twisties, drag racing or more like a fast trip to the local Starbucks with the front end in the air? Third: geographical location....mainly highway or interstate with few corners? Or, do you hit the twisties just miles from your driveway? Lastly, roadbase composition. They use a rock called scorio (wrong spelling) in Wyoming that eats tires up. When a person really sits down and analyzies all the data, the tire you want may not be the tire you need. Most manufaturers offer a matrix and when questions are answered honestly, the grid will show you what tire is all-around best for your needs. All this being said, sometimes it just becomes a matter of trail and error....try a few and find your personal favorite. Mine?? Still M1 Sportecs!

The hard part is the fact that everyone is different....

I by no means consider myself a granny however, my previous M1s lasted a touch over 7k.  I am now at about 6k on my new M1s and they are still good to go for maybe another 1500 or so.

I commute 165.4 miles round trip everyday to work, which consist of highway in the am since it's 3 - 4 am and then back twisties in the pm, it keeps the tires wearin even, and the the short trots around the twisties out west VA were I live.

Since I consider myself an inbetweener I would recommend the M1s, I like them cause they last, they're sticky enough for me to hit the twisties with confidence, , and they warm up quick.

<!--EDIT|04busaVA
Reason for Edit: "don't add very well.. 1 way = 82.7 round trip = 165.4"|1127507930 -->

Whenever i contribute my opinion on the topic of tires, I try to qualify it by explaining that I dragrace just about every weekend, and while my Shinko sticks great, it don't last long. I have no idea about the handling side of the equation, I could care less about turning on this bike. As said earlier if everyone would post up their REAL riding style (not what they think they do LOL) and brand/tire life that would help.

I commute 182 miles round trip everyday to work
Just some rough calcs: 180 miles / 70 mph = 2.57 hours. 2080 work hours in a year / 8 = 260 days X 2.57 hours = 668 hours of riding a year / 24 hours in a day = 27.8 days of riding a year. That's a month a year of going back and forth and back and forth 24 hours a day....well, I was bored.

Just some rough calcs: 180 miles / 70 mph = 2.57 hours. 2080 work hours in a year / 8 = 260 days X 2.57 hours = 668 hours of riding a year / 24 hours in a day =  27.8 days of riding a year. That's a month a year of going back and forth and back and forth 24 hours a day....well, I was bored.
laugh.gif

that's one reason why I have 26249 miles on an 04 bought on April 22, 2004.....

Just some rough calcs: 180 miles / 70 mph = 2.57 hours. 2080 work hours in a year / 8 = 260 days X 2.57 hours = 668 hours of riding a year / 24 hours in a day =  27.8 days of riding a year. That's a month a year of going back and forth and back and forth 24 hours a day....well, I was bored.
how bout a re-calc....
smile.gif

should have been 165.4 my bad I don't add very well but one way from my garage to work is 82.7 miles........

laugh.gif

Well, you should be able to speak to reliability. Has the bike given you much trouble? I mean other than routine maintenance?

laugh.gif

Well, you should be able to speak to reliability. Has the bike given you much trouble? I mean other than routine maintenance?
none and the way she is riden I don't suspect anything major to happen.... (knocking on wood)

I'll be riden this beotch till the wheels fall off.....
biggrin.gif

I get about 3,000 miles front and rear out of my tires. I ride twisties in the canyons of Cali. BT56, Dunlop 208, Metzler Sportec M1 and Pilot powers all last the same for me.

People want their cake and eat it too. You can't have great grip without tire wear. Think about how aggressive you ride and buy the tire compound(tire grip) that you're comfortable with. Don't worry about longevity, that comes with how you ride.

Whenever i contribute my opinion on the topic of tires, I try to qualify it by explaining that I dragrace just about every weekend, and while my Shinko sticks great, it don't last long. I have no idea about the handling side of the equation, I could care less about turning on this bike. As said earlier if everyone would post up their REAL riding style (not what they think they do LOL) and brand/tire life that would help.
Jeremy remember when I borrowed your bike.....I thought I told you but your Shinko's handle like DOG POO.

My Mich Pilot Sports----have been sweet---a track day--- long street rides---quick full gas blasts.
Seem to be wearing quite well-- I am an inbetweener.

Me,a hard rider? You've got to be kidding. In twelve sets of tires on my Busa, I barely get 2500 miles out of any of them. M-1s are my favorite, 208s are my least favorite.

OMG!  Forget tires!  How many times have you cleaned/lubed and/or replaced your chain/sprokets?  
wow.gif

You are definately "da man".
bowdown.gif
My 04, bought new in August of that year, only has 3K on it!
I clean and lube the chain every 500 miles, as it is I am actually looking for the first chain and sproket replacement now....

Back