Tire Choice?, Bridgestone the best all around??

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
I've got to replace the rear, bald really bald
smile.gif
(this is such a fun bike!!)

Anyway, I saw this posting on another forum, and was wondering what you think (sounds to good to be true to me):

"ive done 50,000 miles Hyper-touring (Speed touring) following the WBK around the motorways of western and eastern europe in the last three summers on two different busas. i average 90-100mph when getting from country to country..there only one brand that keeps me upright all day every day.
Get Bridgestone 010 or 014 youll get twice the traction, tripple the mileage out of the tyre. ive tried dunlops 208s n 207s they SUCK (big woolys ones), pilots sports are ok if theyre cheap. corsas are good for the track."

I think the BT014 would be a nice tire if you're sport touring on the busa. That's what came stock on my 636 and I liked them enough not to spoon them off for a set of Powers right off the bat.
wink.gif
If you lean more toward the sport end of the spectrum I'd suggest a set of Pilot Powers. The Pilot Sport is being discontinued and replaced by the Power, which is a better tire than the Sport from what I've read. I think you'd be well pleased with either of them over the stock BT056's if that's what you're coming off of.

The D218's that came on both my 10R's were enough to turn me off of trying anything else Dunlop has to offer. They felt stiff and liked to let the bike drift off line in the good corners. They weren't sliding or slipping, they just didn't seem to hold a line. The BT014's on the 636 handled and gripped fine for my uses and the only thing about them that made them second to Powers was the fact that they seemed to have just a hair stiffer feel than the Powers. Aside from that I liked the 014's.

I think the BT014 would be a nice tire if you're sport touring on the busa. That's what came stock on my 636 and I liked them enough not to spoon them off for a set of Powers right off the bat.
wink.gif
If you lean more toward the sport end of the spectrum I'd suggest a set of Pilot Powers. The Pilot Sport is being discontinued and replaced by the Power, which is a better tire than the Sport from what I've read. I think you'd be well pleased with either of them over the stock BT056's if that's what you're coming off of.

The D218's that came on both my 10R's were enough to turn me off of trying anything else Dunlop has to offer. They felt stiff and liked to let the bike drift off line in the good corners. They weren't sliding or slipping, they just didn't seem to hold a line. The BT014's on the 636 handled and gripped fine for my uses and the only thing about them that made them second to Powers was the fact that they seemed to have just a hair stiffer feel than the Powers. Aside from that I liked the 014's.
Thanks for the input,

I read a post a pilot HPX (new tire I assume)

Know anything about them??

Also meant to say that both the BT014 and the Power seem to wear better (don't wear as quickly) as other tires I've rode on. The Dunlop D218 wore the fastest (rear done in 1600 miles... 10R) with the BT056 not far behind (gone at 1800 miles... Busa). The set of Powers I put on my '04 10R had just lost the little rubber nipples at around 800 miles. I could easily see them going 2000 miles, maybe closer to 3000 the way they were wearing. While that wouldn't be quite triple the miles, it's still much better than the Dunlops' mileage.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Thanks for the input,

No, I'm not familiar with the HPX... I mean I've read a litte on them somewhere but don't remember anything about them and haven't rode on them.

The HPX was released a few years back. Specially designed for the Busa and the 12.

It is a good offering from Michelin. I got right around 1500 miles out of the front and rear. It was the 1st time I had ever wore the front and rear at the same time.

I have pilot powers on all of my bikes (busa, ZX10R and Ducati) tried dunlost(there grip) metzler and perelli and thus far the powers beat all of them hands down in all aspects.  3500 miles out of a rear on my busa and this is twistie riding and 3 track days on my 10R (button willow) and my tire appears have 60% of it's usable life.  Hope this helps with your choice.

I feel the Powers and Pirellis are neck in neck... depending on what you want. For MY riding, I choose Pirelli's for the 0 warm up time, slight extra sticky even if they wear fast than Powers. Took a visual and vocal poll at the last track day and the consensus is next step up from Powers or Diablo's is RACING SLICK sticky rubbers. The owner of the track day organization admitted he just recenly tried the Pirellis and was really impressed except for the higher wear. He felt the Powers had longer wear but required more heat up. Then he told me a story about how the Powers let go and he low sided to his surprise, while on the Diablos he was able to recover TWO slide outs in the same curve after goign too far on them, without wrecking. Keep in mind, this guy is a top of field rider giving lessons, riding in advanced etc etc so I can't blame his riding or abilities. Diablo's JUST BARELY edge the Powers in my book for MY PREFERRED WAY of riding. my 2 cents. I'm sure the BT014 are very nice too
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129829741 -->

WWJD I heard the same thing about the powers but thus far I have not had that problem. What sold me on the powers is the following: When I had the Diablos and was lean over and pouring on the gas I could easily spin the tire under hard braking before a turn I could hear the tires squealing. The Powers on the lean over would bring the front wheel up thus leading me to believe they gripped the road better, on the hard braking the bike would indo rather thank skid. I'm only basing this off Button Willow track and one of my favorite local roads. Maybe your friend was running the Diablo Coarse's, if that's the case then yes that is a better tire than the Powers street. Have him try the Powers that are the next step up.

I don't know the guy personally, he was at the trackday [the owner]. I think he said they were the super corsas he tried, and I have no clue which softness of Power he was using. He's used to full track tires so I think he over rode it's limits
biggrin.gif

I barely got 3K out of my BT14 (OEM) ....and most of my time is 2-up or touring.
I am dropping a few dimes for the Avon STs this time around....I hope to have good feedback for those that ride similarly to me.

Anything but Bridgestone!!!

Actually...I cannot wait to switch out to the Pirelli or Michelin, I am also a Dunlop fan, but mostly from past years of dependable track and street tires.

I have never had much luck on Bridgestone. I guess that makes me bias.

Anyway...just my 2 cents.

Corso

014's have good grip, but 1500 miles will see them well past their peak if you like to play.

I love them and keep putting them on.

Pilots seem to stick slightly better but are gone in 800 miles with aggressive riding. My input, but I am an extremely aggressive rider.

Change front and back together, work through the break in period with precaution.

Haven't had a chance to try out the Avons...but I'm definitely gonna give them a run. I haven't heard anything bad about 'em.

I have pilot powers on all of my bikes (busa, ZX10R and Ducati) tried dunlost(there grip) metzler and perelli and thus far the powers beat all of them hands down in all aspects.  3500 miles out of a rear on my busa and this is twistie riding and 3 track days on my 10R (button willow) and my tire appears have 60% of it's usable life.  Hope this helps with your choice.
+1
thumbs-up.gif

Here's the popularity I've noticed over the past two years of my surfing here:

1. Michelin Pilot Powers
2. Pirelli Diablo and/or M1 - same company, same rubber, different tread pattern and depth?
3. Bridgestone BT014
4. Avon - although the harder riders don't seem to speak up about thier stikiness, maybe these were bought for longer treadlife?
5. Shinko for drag racers?
---
99. Dunslops. oops. that's a personal opinon injected there

I put a new set of BT014s on at 5000.  I got 4800 out of the  rear, I put another one on.  

The front that I replaced at the same time is still on and will probably come off when I replace the rear the next time.  That should be about 9-10k on the front.

No track days  
sad.gif
 - just "normal" riding....

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129910005 -->

Back