Thoughts on the Yamaha FZ1?

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
I am selling my VFR here soon if everything goes well. This got me thinking...

I love my busa but the 08 FZ1 looks like a nice compromise between the handling and comfort of the VFR and the power of the busa. Plus If I could find a low mileage used one my monthly payments would be cut in half...

Any thoughts?

lol no love for the FZ1 I guess? Thats ok ive already started to wipe that idea from my head anyway.:poke:

I had an 05 that I traded for the busa.Wish I had it back at times.But no comparison to the 06 and newer,differant machine.

A buddy of mine bought an 08 FZ1 a few months ago. He has an FJR 1300 and wanted something a little better for dodging traffic in downtown Seattle. He loves it but wants more room. I posted on here a while back trying to find him a new header. He got hit by a huge rock on the freeway and stoved in the head pipe big time.

you saying,--- getting it as a second bike:thumbsup::thumbsup: chucking a Busa for a FZ1 sounds a little:cookoo: but then again i am Bias, ..... as long as you enjoy the ride all good no matter what brand. :beerchug:

I had an 06 FZ1 for a year. It is a great looking bike and attracts attention everywhere. At least in RED.
As is it needs some help but responds well to minor mods. Open the exhaust, -1 on the front sprocket, +1 on the rear sprocket, open air box, block off AIS, remove exhaust valve, add lead shot to the bars, lower both ends 2" and it becomes a great bike. I really miss the center stand and lack of plastic. It is really easy to work on.
Since then I have had a Busa, a GSXR1000 and a ZX14. Going back to an FZ1 now I would miss the low and mid range power of the other bikes. At higher RPM the FZ1 can hold its own. Used ones can be had very cheaply. Try the FZ1 forum. Lots of knowledge there but not nearly as nice a group of people as you find on this forum.

a buddy of mine has an FZ1. we swapped bikes for a short leg of a trip.. needless to say, i was happy to get my bike back. his seemed to be like a dirt bike, sat really high and didnt have the tq the busa has.

Why would you sell your VFR love mine 116k miles and still runs like a champ with no maintance required.

I owned a black '01 FZ1....flew to newark, nj one-way...bought it (w/ 1,500 on the odo for $6,500) and rode it 1,275 miles back home to south florida...

WashFZ2.jpg

ivans jet kit, full yosh made 138rwhp...rode it 27,000 miles in 4 years...

cheers: properly tuned?..for a liter bike the engine screams from 4Krpms on up to redline.

jeers: weak clutchpack (as in 1 burnout and you'll be replacing clutchplates) and less than handling as compared to a busa or a vfr.

Sum it up?: It's an R1 based engine shoe-horned into an econo naked...but it is one of the great standards.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
a buddy of mine has an FZ1. we swapped bikes for a short leg of a trip.. needless to say, i was happy to get my bike back. his seemed to be like a dirt bike, sat really high and didnt have the tq the busa has.

Yeah...it did kinda have a dirtbike riding position. However, it was extremely comfortable and capable of long rides. Here is a pic of my 06 FZ1 and my 06 Busa. Both are gone now !!!
:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, that and the FZ6, Ive been eyeballing these two for the next time.

09MS_FZ1_blk_S3_8d30e296.jpg

09MS_FZ6_blk_S3_0e539e0a.jpg

I ran up to the local bike shop this past weekend just to see what they had in stock. Because I'm in the middle of Midwest Winter, I had the itch to see what's out there on the market. Been a while since I rode the Busa. They had a sweet looking 2009 FZ1. Even though I'm still madly in love with my 2007 Hayabusa, I'm always thinking about "the next one". I'm sure it won't have the amazing power of the Hayabusa, but I'm most curious about how well the suspension and brakes would work in stock form compared to my stock Hayabusa suspension and brakes? I'm 6'2" and 230lbs. I'm beginning to place a higher value on track day performance. For me, that means handling ability, not all out top speed runs. Having less horsepower is not an issue for me if the bike has superior handling and braking characteristics.

I had an '01 FZ1 and the brakes on it were better than my '06 busa. I don't remember much about the suspension, sorry.

I'm really leaning hard towards an FZ1. I just came across a brand new 2008 model left-over at a dealer here in town for $7,999. If I found a way to trade in my 2007 Hayabusa for equal to the amount I still owe on it, I could lower my payments by about $70/month. That's pretty significant savings right there. It just seems like a slightly more comfortable bike that has limits that not astronomically high like the Hayabusa. For example, I'll never ever have the chance to hit 186, so as long as I can have fun around town, on the occasional track day, and on twisty weekend rides, it doesn't really matter what the theoretical top end is. I know the popular statement is "it's better to have and not need than need and not have". I just kind of wish what I needed and what I had were closer in line. I still feel like I'm wasting the potential of my bike.

ive got the 06 red.
Id say its a keeper.
Pretty good bike in stock form but i bit the bullit and added Ivans fce, ign moduel, pc3 ,scorpion slipon ,Copperdog screen , +2 alu. sprocket and rearsets.
Its soft on the low end but pulls very good after 6000.
If your like me and dont mind reving it up, then you'll like this bike.
Performance is about equal to a 600 supersport.
Oh yeah, gas milage sucks , my reserve light comes on at 110 miles,but im not poking around.

Last edited:
If you like the FZ1....why not consider the .....???

you know at first glance the B-king DOES kinda look like a naked standard like the fz1 but have you ever sat on that thing? Its humongus .I really wanted to like that bike but couldnt get over the size of that tank ,with chrome on it like a harley no less.

I had an '02 FZ1; piped and jetted it was an awesome bike. I had it along with an FJR and traded the FZ for the Busa. I wish I had kept it and traded the FJR, which I later sold. The FZ1 was great fun and as an all around bike, it has very few peers IMO.

Back