2nd bike: misc on FZ1 ride

spotrot

Registered
I've been considering a second bike for fun and for my first track sessions.

Rode a friend's FZ1 w/Penski shock, re-valved tubes, ss brake lines and 'racing' pads, air box and chip mods, and carbon fiber can.

My thoughts: great looking, exc. quality,
Clutch and trans are silkier than my 04 Bus
Brakes - like power brakes - can put you over the bars with one finger
More up-right riding position is nice
More flickable (it is 100 lbs. lighter) but not dramatically different
Power: dead under about 4k, pulls 5-6 and comes alive over 7 -- but I didn't feel the torque explosion of the busa. Plus the ratios were so close, it only dropped a little over 1k during shifts. Disclosure, it was a friend's bike so I didn't take it to redline (even though he repeatedly said the R1 internals were bulletproof).

Conclusion: Great bike but having to rev so high to get to power doesn't suit me. The main bike I was considering was a S1000RR, but for a first-timer track experience, I think I'll go with a SV650. These can be bought so reasonably, already mod'ed for track.

I don't know how popular my opinion here is going to be, but I traded in my 2007 Hayabusa for a 2009 FZ1 back in late December. I have to say, I'm actually glad I did. For the type of riding that I actually do on a regular basis, the FZ1 is a far more practical bike. In addition to the comfort factor, it's lighter just like you said, so it's much easier to move around the garage so we can park our cars in there. It also has a shorter wheelbase and more steering lock which also contributes to a much nimbler handling at low speeds. I feel like my parking lot speed abilities shot up just by going to this bike. Finally and most importantly, since I don't drag race, I really feel like I'm getting better use out of this bike's potential than I ever did on the Hayabusa. It always seemed that I was stuck in 2nd gear around town and never even got to use any of the other gears. The bike had monstrous potential, but I was never able to tap into even a fraction of it. The FZ1 has such a different character though. I can rev it much higher and still not be breaking warp speed. I like that because I spend 99.99% of my time below 70mph and I can still get through a couple gears and hit a 9k rpm if I feel like it. The point is, I feel the FZ1 fits my actual needs better. I'm certainly proud to have owned a Hayabusa, it's something I'll tell the grandkids about some day. But for a bike I can actually USE on a daily basis, the FZ1 is the right bike for me.

My first non-cruiser was an '01 FZ1 that I really enjoyed. Handled well, good brakes and comfortable riding position.

If you are looking at the S1000RR there are 4 riding modes to choose from. The info below is shamelessly lifted from the s1000rr forumhttp://www.s1000rrforum.com:

1. Power Mode: Rain: Power is cut to 150 bhp, reduced torque, and the
throttle response is more gentle.
* The braking force is applied to both front and rear wheels (partially
integral brakes)
* Rear wheel ABS operates even when only the rear foot brake is used
* The system detects if the rear wheel is lifting
* Wheelie protection operates
* Reduces rear wheel spin
* Increased traction and stability even when the frictional coefficient
spikes suddenly

2. Power Mode: Sport (which is the default setting): Full power (193 at the \
crank, approx 183 rwhp) with a fast but smooth throttle response.
integral brakes)
* The system detects if the rear wheel is lifting
* DTC is slower to intervene than in Rain Mode, so slight drifts are
possible when exiting corners

3. Power Mode: Race: Full power but instant throttle response.
integral brakes)
* No rear wheel lift detection
* DTC even slower to intervene so longer drifts and brief wheelies are
possible when exiting corners

4. Power Mode: Slick (coding plug required to be inserted): Full power with
an aggressive and instant throttle response.
integral brakes)
* ABS does not operate when only foot brake is used
* No rear wheel lift detection
* Wheelies allowed up to a lean angle of 23 degrees and for up to 5
seconds

The FZ1 is a really nice bike. From what I remember of the mag reviews the Gen 1 was actually a better bike than the Gen 2, at least in the opinion of some motojournalists. Nice all-rounder with good seating position. If I was commuting on a bike this would be in the running for sure.

Just a note on dry weights:
Gen 1 FZ1 460 lbs,
Gen 2 FZ1 430 lbs,
Gen 1 Busa 475 lbs.

but for a first-timer track experience, I think I'll go with a SV650. These can be bought so reasonably, already mod'ed for track.

I bet an SV with some suspension mods would be just about the perfect track bike to start with. I started the track on my GSXR 1000 and admitedly it is a bit much at times. I may pick one up yet.

...also wadding up a $2500 SV is going to hurt alot less than pitching a S1000RR down the track.

Last edited:
Just a note on dry weights:
Gen 1 FZ1 460 lbs,
Gen 2 FZ1 430 lbs,
Gen 1 Busa 475 lbs.

I know the numbers don't lie, but it certainly feels like a lot more of a difference. The perception is very different between the two bikes. Could be a combination of factors, but it's much easier to shuffle the FZ1 around the garage than the Hayabusa was.

I know the numbers don't lie, but it certainly feels like a lot more of a difference. The perception is very different between the two bikes. Could be a combination of factors, but it's much easier to shuffle the FZ1 around the garage than the Hayabusa was.

Well cars are weighed in the front tires(axles)then the rear(axles) :laugh: Maybe it's not just a question of weight but where the weight is :laugh: :dunno: The back of my Busa seems very light I can pick it up off the ground an shovel it around fairly easy the front not so much :laugh:

The R1 is a really nice bike. I came from an 05 R1 to the Busa and I have to say that both bikes have advantages over each other, I'm not at all disappointed about going with the Busa instead of another R1.
I actually will probably will get another R1 down the road or the S1000RR! :thumbsup:

I think a 'dry' weight comparision may not hold up. Suzuki told a big lie about the busa dry weight. It's easily in the 560-570 range (573 listed for the 09) 'wet' -- all the fluids combined weigh much less than 80 lbs.

So I'm still thinking the FZ is about 100 lbs lighter.

Whatever the case may be, I know that pushing the FZ1 around my garage and navigating low speed is MUCH easier than on the Hayabusa. Obviously, nobody buys a bike for those reasons alone, but it certainly helps me feel better about my decision.

I don't know how popular my opinion here is going to be, but I traded in my 2007 Hayabusa for a 2009 FZ1 back in late December. I have to say, I'm actually glad I did. For the type of riding that I actually do on a regular basis, the FZ1 is a far more practical bike. In addition to the comfort factor, it's lighter just like you said, so it's much easier to move around the garage so we can park our cars in there. It also has a shorter wheelbase and more steering lock which also contributes to a much nimbler handling at low speeds. I feel like my parking lot speed abilities shot up just by going to this bike. Finally and most importantly, since I don't drag race, I really feel like I'm getting better use out of this bike's potential than I ever did on the Hayabusa. It always seemed that I was stuck in 2nd gear around town and never even got to use any of the other gears. The bike had monstrous potential, but I was never able to tap into even a fraction of it. The FZ1 has such a different character though. I can rev it much higher and still not be breaking warp speed. I like that because I spend 99.99% of my time below 70mph and I can still get through a couple gears and hit a 9k rpm if I feel like it. The point is, I feel the FZ1 fits my actual needs better. I'm certainly proud to have owned a Hayabusa, it's something I'll tell the grandkids about some day. But for a bike I can actually USE on a daily basis, the FZ1 is the right bike for me.

How the heck you manage to get stuck in 2nd gear around town? I usually get to 3rd and cruise pretty good around town. Not picking on you bro, just don't understand. That had to kill you in gas bro.:laugh:

Back