Thoughts on painting both top fairing infill panels.

Steve127

Registered
Hi, I have the Matt silver and Daring red colour option gen 3. I keep looking at my bike and thinking the 2 top infill fairing panels don't look right painted silver and feel these panels would look great and add to the bikes visual appeal if I painted them Daring red to match the other red components on the bike. If the silver had a gloss clear coat instead of matt I would't be in two minds because I could just re paint them silver again if I didn't like them in red. However I have zero experience painting matt finishes and worry I'd end up having to buy 2 new panels. I'd be really interested in anyones thoughts on how the bike might look in their opinion painted red, accepting of course that individual's test vary.

Many a gen1 and gen2 have had their black tank sides and dash trims painted to match body panels, and/or made the factory stripes connect from tank to body panels.
It's all personal opinion of what you like.
Several people have been swapping trim colors on the gen3's.
You would be the first to here to do/post pictures of a modified stock look of what you're describing.
Try photoshop first if you're undecided.

All about what you want your bike to look like. As stated, it was a very nice mod to do to Gen 1 and Gen 2 bikes.

I did Plasti Dip spray on a hood once. It gave me a terrific "proof of concept," then, with some elbow grease, I was able to remove it.

It's really a matter of personal taste! I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer to your question.

Personally, I've thought about making these parts with carbon panels. Painted in silver or red.....would be too much for me personally. That would remind me more of the bikes from the 80's that had something like that. But if you like it, you should follow the advice of others and just test how it would look on your bike.

Hi, I have the Matt silver and Daring red colour option gen 3. I keep looking at my bike and thinking the 2 top infill fairing panels don't look right painted silver and feel these panels would look great and add to the bikes visual appeal if I painted them Daring red to match the other red components on the bike. If the silver had a gloss clear coat instead of matt I would't be in two minds because I could just re paint them silver again if I didn't like them in red. However I have zero experience painting matt finishes and worry I'd end up having to buy 2 new panels. I'd be really interested in anyones thoughts on how the bike might look in their opinion painted red, accepting of course that individual's test vary.
Hi. Just sand and prep it.then paint and clear it.

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I fully realise it boils down to personal taste, I was more looking for opinions of other individuals. It just feels like a lot of silver in that area of the bike to me. I really like the sharp red accents against the silver on this bike, I think the design team has achieved a stunning result although I accept this is still down to personal taste. I hadn't thought of Photoshop, that seems a great first move. If I end up taking the plunge [providing I can obtain the paint code] I will post photo's if others are interested in seeing the end results however I'm not going to rush into this for obvious reasons.

I have a white bike that I’ve put the read accents on and want to paint the ram air covers and the pieces you’re talking about red as well.

I vote you do it.

Back