Anyone Painting Dash Panels Anymore?

phierce

Registered
I know the Pusher stopped painting them awhile ago.
Is anyone else painting the inner dash panels?

What's involved in the smoothing out of the panels?
Is it something that I could prep and just get painted on my own?

I don't know if anyone here is still doing them. There was a website that I saw a while back that would exchange stock+some cash for painted. Have you tried doin a google search? You might be able to find it that way.

As for prep work. Sanding should be about all that's needed. You might have to use some body filler to get all the bumps out, but I don't think so. If I remember correctly the grooves aren't that deep.

.......sand the texture down with 180 on a DA sander. clean the piece with wax and grease remover, spray an adhesion promotor and then a high build primer to take out the rest of the texture. the adhesion promotor is necessary when spraying ANY bare plastic. else wise the paint with start to flake off.

sand the primer with 400 grit, spray your sealer, base coat, and clear. make sure you add a flex agent in with the primer, sealer, base and clear.

i'm a painter by trade, hit me up with any questions

pics are on the way of smoothing textured pieces. hold for just a second. i'll edit them in this post
sanded:
dash001.jpg

primed and guided coated
fiberglass008.jpg

painted:
dashpainted011-1.jpg

dashpainted016.jpg

i know their just random pics from my old show truck interior, but it shows the process

Last edited:
if you have it up on its edge then yes it will create low spots. keeping it flat wont make low spots on the plastic due to the fact you're simple knocking down the texture, then spraying high build primer over it.

think of this, sanding by hand, unless you use a block will make it look like nothing but ocean waves. again, thats why the primer is there to block with 400.

if you have it up on its edge then yes it will create low spots. keeping it flat wont make low spots on the plastic due to the fact you're simple knocking down the texture, then spraying high build primer over it.

think of this, sanding by hand, unless you use a block will make it look like nothing but ocean waves. again, thats why the primer is there to block with 400.

And that's why you're the painter and I'm not. :laugh: I have very little experience with painting. I'll make it run well, you'll make it look good! However, I do think that the inner dash panels will have to be sanded by hand rather than a DA, simply because of the amount of curveture. I don't think the DA will be able to access. The ones between the tank and the lowers should be fine to use the DA on. Of course, I was wrong before and I could be wrong again. :lol:

You can search in a website called:

They have info on different things you can do to your Busa (including the inner panels).
Here is the direct link to the company that paints them below to save you the search. You just send yours in and what they actually do is send you back painted inner panels in the manner you requested as an exchange for yours. Prices and further details you'll find there at the site. They are located in Miami Florida.
HTTP://WWW.RACEREADY.US

And that's why you're the painter and I'm not. :laugh: I have very little experience with painting. I'll make it run well, you'll make it look good! However, I do think that the inner dash panels will have to be sanded by hand rather than a DA, simply because of the amount of curveture. I don't think the DA will be able to access. The ones between the tank and the lowers should be fine to use the DA on. Of course, I was wrong before and I could be wrong again. :lol:

haha. you can use a 3" da to get inside. if you want to sand by hand thats fine. you dont always have to use the big DA. :thumbsup:

I know the Pusher stopped painting them awhile ago.
Is anyone else painting the inner dash panels?

What's involved in the smoothing out of the panels?
Is it something that I could prep and just get painted on my own?

Search out and PM Senior Member '469Boy* Robert Kelly' and he will set you up. His prep and paint work is second to none! His Hayabusa 'Greenie' is pictured below!

greenie.jpg

Back