Matte Paint Care/Durability

If you like the silver and worried about the matt finish, why not have a gloss clearcoat done over the top of the matt or a clear gloss vinyl wrap.

All I can say is that everything matte finish I have and had is an sob to keep looking good.
I bought 2 new Shoei's last year, an RF1200 street, and a new dirt...both matte black...and both an sob to keep looking good.
They show Every fingerprint, smudge, streaks from cleaners, and the dirt helmet easily shows scratches.
I have yet to find Anything good to clean them with.
Keep in mind that they are both black though, and the silver may or may not be as bad.
Hi. Use Windex on mate colors or the special stuff.

Ufff this is another level!! highly recommended
20220211_070316.jpg
20220211_070305.jpg

I’ve had a matte silver gen3 since Labor Day. I ride it almost daily to commute to work and haven’t had any paint issues.

I like the Chemical Guys products and use their purple wash. I bought the matte paint sealant and detailer too. The sealant seems to protect well, and I use the detailer between hand washes like I have with standard glossy paint.

View attachment 1643842
This stuff works awesome !. Had pieces done in matte, put this on it, turned out phenomenal !.

i thought the black and copper looked great , thats why i bought the gen 3 , after cleaning and waxing it it looked stunning , but as soon as you touched the bodywork i got instant marks on it , i now have the white no problems with the white still kooks stunning when cleaned and polished and does not show up the marks , liking the white more and more!!!!

I've had matte helmets in the past, and I have the silver Gen3 now. The silver matte is completely different from any other matte paint I've come across in the past; the silver cleans up extremely easily. It's almost as if it has a clear coat.

I use 303 products - I've applied their graphene coating and I use their speed detailer often to keep it clean. I also have the chemical guys matte kit that @sgerry recommended but have yet to use it.

So, the silver gen 3 definitely has a sealer, top coat, or different type of epoxy paint to make it easy to clean.

I've had matte helmets in the past, and I have the silver Gen3 now. The silver matte is completely different from any other matte paint I've come across in the past; the silver cleans up extremely easily. It's almost as if it has a clear coat.

I use 303 products - I've applied their graphene coating and I use their speed detailer often to keep it clean. I also have the chemical guys matte kit that @sgerry recommended but have yet to use it.

So, the silver gen 3 definitely has a sealer, top coat, or different type of epoxy paint to make it easy to clean.
I’m glad you posted this….

When I was notching the cowl for the grab bar, the sanding drum grabbed and shot up the paint for about an inch.
All I did was a quick wipe with a wet thumb, no damage whatsoever.

Same here. I have the silver and bugs wipe off easily. More so than any bike I’ve ever had. No sure why but I like that. Bike is still mint.

Had my heart set on the black and gold Gen 3 until I saw the matte silver and red. Wow, what a sharp combination and the silver is much brighter than I thought it would be. The stock exhaust actually looks like it belongs also. I did a little research on matte paint and now I'm thinking the black and gold again.

1. No Wax or detailer made to shine.
2. Specific care products required
3. Cannot rub out scratches without ruining the paint
4. Stains easily and once it does there's no fixing it
5. Super careful washing process (Two Bucket Method)

Roads here in New Mexico are pretty harsh on vehicles so I'm concerned about rock chips over time also.

Is it as big a deal as they say or should I not care and go with silver.
My mechanic who has a showroom 2002 busa said to use water or windex to wipe down. I am using wizards wipe down for matte paint with great results as well. It beads very well and use on my matte helmets.

20220609_142215.jpg

I bought the matte silver/red combo too just a few days ago. I also wanted the black/red finish but this bike came up with a great deal so I bought it. Seeing the silver bike in the flesh initially changed my mind as it looks awesome. However reading through the supplied user manual I read the precautions for matte paint finishes and was instantly horrified. Like most others here I like to keep my bikes spotless which means frequent cleaning but the last thing I want is to spoil the paint finish. I'm keen to learn how successful having a clear coat sprayed over the panels would be but I wonder how this would work spraying over the decals as these are obviously applied after the panels have been painted. Anyone got any experience with painting over decals?

I have a matte black car and for the first year I loved it. After that it is such a pain to keep clean and I have to park it outside so any sort of tree goo just ruins the paint. Never again personally.

I have a matte black car and for the first year I loved it. After that it is such a pain to keep clean and I have to park it outside so any sort of tree goo just ruins the paint. Never again personally.
I used to work for a major vehicle importer. Several brands. We used to joke that in the contracts it insisted that some vehicles such as the matte finish Hyundai’s must at all times be stored undercover or indoors, and yet the top end Audi’s with more traditional paint had no such clause. We also had to change to handbooks or add inserts to state that matte cars here came with a different and more limited paint warranty and had very specific cleaning and maintenance instructions. Never owned a matte finish vehicle myself but working in the trade they weren’t popular.

I used to work for a major vehicle importer. Several brands. We used to joke that in the contracts it insisted that some vehicles such as the matte finish Hyundai’s must at all times be stored undercover or indoors, and yet the top end Audi’s with more traditional paint had no such clause. We also had to change to handbooks or add inserts to state that matte cars here came with a different and more limited paint warranty and had very specific cleaning and maintenance instructions. Never owned a matte finish vehicle myself but working in the trade they weren’t popular.
For the first couple years I loved it, but absolutely needs to be stored indoor unless you want to spend hours cleaning it at least once a week. Speaking of, anyone want to buy a matte black CTSV? I recently listed it for sale...

Back