Matte Paint Care/Durability

E Zurcher

Registered
Had my heart set on the black and gold Gen 3 until I saw the matte silver and red. Wow, what a sharp combination and the silver is much brighter than I thought it would be. The stock exhaust actually looks like it belongs also. I did a little research on matte paint and now I'm thinking the black and gold again.

1. No Wax or detailer made to shine.
2. Specific care products required
3. Cannot rub out scratches without ruining the paint
4. Stains easily and once it does there's no fixing it
5. Super careful washing process (Two Bucket Method)

Roads here in New Mexico are pretty harsh on vehicles so I'm concerned about rock chips over time also.

Is it as big a deal as they say or should I not care and go with silver.

All I can say is that everything matte finish I have and had is an sob to keep looking good.
I bought 2 new Shoei's last year, an RF1200 street, and a new dirt...both matte black...and both an sob to keep looking good.
They show Every fingerprint, smudge, streaks from cleaners, and the dirt helmet easily shows scratches.
I have yet to find Anything good to clean them with.
Keep in mind that they are both black though, and the silver may or may not be as bad.

All I can say is that everything matte finish I have and had is an sob to keep looking good.
I bought 2 new Shoei's last year, an RF1200 street, and a new dirt...both matte black...and both an sob to keep looking good.
They show Every fingerprint, smudge, streaks from cleaners, and the dirt helmet easily shows scratches.
I have yet to find Anything good to clean them with.
Keep in mind that they are both black though, and the silver may or may not be as bad.
I have a Shoei X-Spirit III (black matte) and I use Motul M1 Helmet & Visor Cleaner.I also use Motul MC Care E7 Insect Remover when there are many insects and I don't have much patience and want result very fast. I also have Motul MC Care E11 Matte Surface Clean, but rarely use it because the two previously mentioned do the job perfectly.
Motul MC Care E7 Insect Remover is very good to use on the motorcycle :
Best motorcycle cleaner & how to clean your bike | Dish-soap, Muc-Off, S100, Motul, Pro-GreenMX...

I have a Shoei X-Spirit III (black matte) and I use Motul M1 Helmet & Visor Cleaner.I also use Motul MC Care E7 Insect Remover when there are many insects and I don't have much patience and want result very fast. I also have Motul MC Care E11 Matte Surface Clean, but rarely use it because the two previously mentioned do the job perfectly.
Motul MC Care E7 Insect Remover is very good to use on the motorcycle :
Best motorcycle cleaner & how to clean your bike | Dish-soap, Muc-Off, S100, Motul, Pro-GreenMX...
I just use a wet cloth with the hottest water I can stand, and slowly wipe the sheild, and the bugs come right off.
I also have a Shoei transitions/photocramatic sheild, and it says to use water only.
I wipe the rest of the helmet down at the same time, and it looks pretty good.
I like Motul's products though, so I will check out their helmet cleaners, thanks.

I never ran a matte finish helmet. Not that they don't look good, and they're cool. All mine have a gloss finish, and I use plexus. Funny thing is I use plexus to clean the bike too. So hopefully that'll work on the matte finish painted parts.

I just use a wet cloth with the hottest water I can stand, and slowly wipe the sheild, and the bugs come right off.
I also have a Shoei transitions/photocramatic sheild, and it says to use water only.
I wipe the rest of the helmet down at the same time, and it looks pretty good.
I like Motul's products though, so I will check out their helmet cleaners, thanks.

Yep, a hot wet towel draped over the front of the helmet for a minute makes cleaning bugs off a breeze. Same goes with the nose fairing, although a larger towel helps.:D

I've painted a couple of my bits and pieces matte black, and it turned out looking pretty good. Now that Chris Moore has stolen my paint scheme, I got to do something else. Lol!:p
he did u a favor, i called him out say black on black is waaaaaaaaaaay over played out. to me once the oem start providing those color combos its time to switch. im sure u will come up with a better idea than black on black

Thank you for your optimism, I started bubbling about on the Internet looking at favorite tuner cars, and bikes, and colors, and I came up with an idea that I think is going to flip you guys out.

Screw "Chris Moore", no disrespect intended, :p

I came upon an an insane idea !.:thumbsup:

Whoops, "Thread Jack"....."My bad !".

Last edited:
I’ve had a matte silver gen3 since Labor Day. I ride it almost daily to commute to work and haven’t had any paint issues.

I like the Chemical Guys products and use their purple wash. I bought the matte paint sealant and detailer too. The sealant seems to protect well, and I use the detailer between hand washes like I have with standard glossy paint.

2B597451-8E0A-4E31-8023-2FF6584910DC.jpeg

I’ve had a matte silver gen3 since Labor Day. I ride it almost daily to commute to work and haven’t had any paint issues.

I like the Chemical Guys products and use their purple wash. I bought the matte paint sealant and detailer too. The sealant seems to protect well, and I use the detailer between hand washes like I have with standard glossy paint.

View attachment 1643842
I can't comment on that stuff, as I havn't used it...yet, but Chemical guys leather conditioner, glass cleaner, and water-spot remover work Excellent!
I have no doubt the rest of their products are great too.

The matte black ‘arm rest’ panels on the Busa look new. I use the spray on Back to Black by Mothers polish every few months. It worked wonders on the formerly black blinker backs on my old CBXs. They were almost white due to oxidation I suppose. Took a few applications but the OEM black was certainly back. It’s not like Armorall that leaves a super shiny finish and requires a reapplication every couple weeks. Good stuff!

Traded in my matte GSXS1000, really thought I’d like the matte because I do paint correction as a side hustle but it’s harder keeping matte clean and matte than shiny finishes! Can’t rub too much because you’ll lightly polish the matte making it shinier than the rest leaving the surface looking splotchy.. can’t wash with anything that contains wax cause that shines too..
I’ll stick to wash and wax going forward

View attachment 1643842
Quemical guys Matte detailer spray sealant works great my friend!!!
Jet seal its only a once a year treatment for your bike, this is a strong product and if you applied a lot of this product you could damage the kanji and hayabusa stickers also the paint.

Soooooo, what if you did wax it?
Not to thread jack- but I’ve now seen all 3 bikes, and silver is my color.

Anyone wax a matte finish? Wondering how the silver reacts- would it just shine up?

Appreciated.

Outside of the Ducati I bought last fall, I’ve never had matte paint. Would have been cool to wax it and it polished to a nice even, shine.

Regardless- saw it in person and man….it’s nice.

Back