This would be interesting-no cops at traffic stops

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
A city in California is looking at taking police out of the equation at traffic stops and replacing them with unarmed civilians?

I'm not that bright but don't many traffic stops have a great potential for violence especially if the driver has drugs, guns or other illegal things going on?

I wonder how many of these unarmed civilians have to be killed or injured before they figure out this is a bad idea?

Not a good idea. There are enough times when people don't listen to cops at traffic stops. Do they think they will listen to civilians. They will get as much resect as security guards.

Also in some places where they have constables it does not work out well. The wanna be cops abuse their power in some cases. But they have guns.

Frankly, they don't need traffic stops at all. With ID systems and cameras they could nail every speeder and mail them a summons for a zoom trial. Take the confrontation out of it all together. They could monitor the cameras and send a trooper to stop cars that are of a specific public danger (excessive speed or drunk).

Hopefully they aren't reading this because us motorcycle guys are going to be buying a lot of tickets if they do that. I think the UK at least already has speed cams with remote ticketing. You can get a ticket for running an EZPass. You get a picture of your license and a picture of the driver. I actually got a ticket because my Ezpass malfunctioned. Tried to fight it and finally it was taking so much time I just paid it.

Frankly, they don't need traffic stops at all. With ID systems and cameras they could nail every speeder and mail them a summons for a zoom trial. Take the confrontation out of it all together. They could monitor the cameras and send a trooper to stop cars that are of a specific public danger (excessive speed or drunk).

Hopefully they aren't reading this because us motorcycle guys are going to be buying a lot of tickets if they do that. I think the UK at least already has speed cams with remote ticketing. You can get a ticket for running an EZPass. You get a picture of your license and a picture of the driver. I actually got a ticket because my Ezpass malfunctioned. Tried to fight it and finally it was taking so much time I just paid it.

Before I left Ca in 2002 they were sending out tickets in Irvine, Ca. for running red lights monitored by cameras. Where I live now they have cameras in school zones that monitor your speed and record your license plate. Then you get a ticket in the mail if speeding. I think cameras would increase your chances of getting a ticket since they are always there watching. There is less chance of a cop seeing you. How many of us have tried to beat a light?

There are a lot of other crimes discovered during traffic stops including outstanding warrants, drug trafficking, illegal guns, and more although I'm not sure I agree on cars being searched because you get pulled over for a license plate light that is out or some other minor traffic offence.

Before I left Ca in 2002 they were sending out tickets in Irvine, Ca. for running red lights monitored by cameras. Where I live now they have cameras in school zones that monitor your speed and record your license plate. Then you get a ticket in the mail if speeding. I think cameras would increase your chances of getting a ticket since they are always there watching. There is less chance of a cop seeing you. How many of us have tried to beat a light?

There are a lot of other crimes discovered during traffic stops including outstanding warrants, drug trafficking, illegal guns, and more although I'm not sure I agree on cars being searched because you get pulled over for a license plate light that is out or some other minor traffic offence.
All very good points. But they find warrants by running your ID (I know, license and ID are different. you have to stop them to run the ID), so they could do that on every ticket. That would determine whether or not they need to send a car out to get you! Interesting debate though. As a habitual speeder I don't want automated road control. But this is a good example of the defunding argument, How many cops are spending their days running down people going 10 miles over the limit with a brake light out?

They've been doing it in Chicago for over 10 years. Our employer got mailed a ticket for running a red light when my buddy was driving back in about 08. I remember the flash at night. It was an accident. Nothing ent on his record because it was a company vehicle.

Many many (many) traffic stops are fishing expeditions for cops. Traffic cameras for red light runners have been shown to decrease revenues typically gained from traffic stops due to the public realizing after a time that they’re in place and can’t be defended. Due to the loss of revenue the majority of the cameras have been removed despite them showing safer intersections with fewer violations. Revenue apparently, is deemed to be more important than safety. Citations sent to the registered owner can be defended as the driver’s ID can’t always be determined.

It’s going to get to the point where removal of the license plate will be mandatory.
Get rid of the vin number as well, then never ever stop to talk to any police.
Wear only black attire. Dark visor.
Problem solved..... oh apart from helicopters and running out of gas :cool:

@hayabuser @Sandow @clean @Rb05 you guys remem the photo radar vans? They parked soccer mom type vans on the sides of roads/hi-ways.Radar got you out the back window,the photo of your plate taken out the front window.Fully automated. Public outcry for the gub'ment to sell all the vans. I got caught once. A whole 61KPH/38MPH in a 50KPH/30MPH zone. Got a pic in the mail. Riding a Yammie RZ350. :laugh: Skull cap,one hand on the bars,just sight-seeing...

$125 buck poorer. :banghead: Good folk would nail warning signs to telephone poles,etc. I think we still have red light cams,IDK.
Rubb.

Back