Tesla's on auto pilot

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
I think Tesla needs to shut off their auto pilot until at least a good percentage of cars on the road today have them or there is another road for cars with auto pilot..

There have been a rash of accidents involving Teslas on auto pilot...there is even one case of some wealthy nut riding in the back seat while on auto pilot-he had his Tesla impounded and then was caught sitting in the back seat while on auto pilot in another one and said he will keep buying them and he isn't worried about getting them impounded.

In my opinion, there is no place for this auto pilot out amongst regular vehicles..

Well in the time we have had several well-covered auto-pilot crashes we have had thousands of manually piloted vehicle crashes. AUto pilot is a key to being to keep individual transportation. It can make our current roads sufficient for many years to come. And, it is much safer.

Well in the time we have had several well-covered auto-pilot crashes we have had thousands of manually piloted vehicle crashes. AUto pilot is a key to being to keep individual transportation. It can make our current roads sufficient for many years to come. And, it is much safer.
You read my first line right?

I'd like to see the percentage of Tesla cars on autopilot compared to crashes, I'll bet that percentage is fairly high as there are not that many out there.

In my opinion, there are just too many variables out there for auto pilot to be effective.

Just wait until the bad guys we spoke about on another thread get the tech to control the auto pilots...the mayhem on the hiways will be something to behold.

I will rip that AI right out of my car. I'll be that old guy that everyone laughs at cuz he still "drives" his car.

How is auto pilot different from self-driving vehicles which are not to far in the future?
Same thing, different wording I guess....

Tesla calls it "auto pilot"

On the subject of having self driving vehicles on the roads occupying the same space as self drive vehicles is a recipe for disaster....a self drive computer probably can't compensate for someone on their phone, making a sandwich or being impaired...

if anyone of you have driven a tesla or own one, it tells you to keep your hands on the wheel and it reminds you to keep your hand on the wheel or it disengages auto pilot. part of the reason we are seeing more collisions with teslas is bc more people are buying them. not to digress but i think that feature can be great for elderly/disabled people who are bad drivers due to physical abilities. plenty of senior citizens are a driving way pass their driving years but have no one to help them with daily errands and/or live in areas without public transportation so continue to drive. unfortunately the only way we make these driving systems better is to put them to work.

if anyone of you have driven a tesla or own one, it tells you to keep your hands on the wheel and it reminds you to keep your hand on the wheel or it disengages auto pilot. part of the reason we are seeing more collisions with teslas is bc more people are buying them. not to digress but i think that feature can be great for elderly/disabled people who are bad drivers due to physical abilities. plenty of senior citizens are a driving way pass their driving years but have no one to help them with daily errands and/or live in areas without public transportation so continue to drive. unfortunately the only way we make these driving systems better is to put them to work.
Infrastructure on the roads will need to be updated, even things such as intersections and merge lanes will need to be revised...potholes will need to be a thing of the past as well as these autonomous systems don't react well too irregularities on the road.

I watched a documentary on them where a town in Europe was set up for autonomous vehicles including speed limit restrictions. There were 5 vehicles which drove around the town basically by themselves while being monitored.

They threw everything at them, pedestrians, animals, bicyclists, cars pulling out in front of them and the vehicles all reacted positively. The vehicles did not like any potholes or rough road patches as the system didn't steer away or slow down from them. Maybe the technology will get advanced enough to do this but I wonder how snow and ice will equate into this system...

These things will work great until they don't...

i honestly feel this is a sign that cars might go away. people use to get excited about how smooth a transmission would shift, how responsive an engine was,or how precise the steering works. now u cant find new cars with manuals and everyone is excited about automated cars. parking themselves, driving themselves, opening doors automatically, shifting themselves, etc. cars seem to be turning into personal taxis.

i honestly feel this is a sign that cars might go away. people use to get excited about how smooth a transmission would shift, how responsive an engine was,or how precise the steering works. now u cant find new cars with manuals and everyone is excited about automated cars. parking themselves, driving themselves, opening doors automatically, shifting themselves, etc. cars seem to be turning into personal taxis.
I met a guy who is the manager of a local grocery store, he used to own a speed shop and said business slowly disappeared as the younger crowd just weren't into modifying their cars anymore-or at least weren't interested in expensive mods.

Cars are becoming more and more utilitarian, of course there are exceptions but they are the rarity.

I met a guy who is the manager of a local grocery store, he used to own a speed shop and said business slowly disappeared as the younger crowd just weren't into modifying their cars anymore-or at least weren't interested in expensive mods.

Cars are becoming more and more utilitarian, of course there are exceptions but they are the rarity.
Kids are a lot dumber today than when I was younger. We had common sense. Today's youth only know what's on a screen in front of them.

i disagree with dumber and no “common sense.” whats common sense changes with time and location. if we stick to cars, how many people today know how to set dwell/timing vs decades ago? now how many people back then knew anything about setting a tps or read engine codes? to me a big difference with modding today is the price. swapping a cam, exhaust, and intake on a old school small block required a screwdriver set and timing light to get the engine tuned for your mods. you mod a modern engine, you either have to take it to a shop that has the software to mess with the ecu or buy it yourself if you know what you are doing with it. shops love to charge a premium for custom tuning, so that adds cost. also more states have laws against hp mods for emissions or other reasons. next, more race tracks are closed so where can you go play legally? on the street but, risk paying fines or getting arrested. i don’t disagree with people being more lazy but i believe it’s just a product of the environment we created. u don’t even have to leave your house for groceries anymore. stores deliver.

i disagree with dumber and no “common sense.” whats common sense changes with time and location. if we stick to cars, how many people today know how to set dwell/timing vs decades ago? now how many people back then knew anything about setting a tps or read engine codes? to me a big difference with modding today is the price. swapping a cam, exhaust, and intake on a old school small block required a screwdriver set and timing light to get the engine tuned for your mods. you mod a modern engine, you either have to take it to a shop that has the software to mess with the ecu or buy it yourself if you know what you are doing with it. shops love to charge a premium for custom tuning, so that adds cost. also more states have laws against hp mods for emissions or other reasons. next, more race tracks are closed so where can you go play legally? on the street but, risk paying fines or getting arrested. i don’t disagree with people being more lazy but i believe it’s just a product of the environment we created. u don’t even have to leave your house for groceries anymore. stores deliver.
In my experience with the youth of today, there are quite a few of them who wish they could live the kind of life we more experienced people lived.

They'd love to be able to play with cars or bikes but the insurance companies have basically made that an impossibility as there is no way most of them can afford the insurance to drive.

After a while they lose interest in something they deem unobtainable and move on to something they can afford.

Once in a while I run into a younger person who is working on a modern(ish) car and I tell them they are the future of the sport whether they are tuning a Civic or whatever, this is their time, we've had ours. The odd time a young(er) person will come over and salivate over my bike wishing they could own a bike like it but that is only a dream for them. I generally let them sit on it and check it out, a couple get a picture with 'ol Bumblebee and I'm sure it ends up on their social media with the caption "my new bike."

Just like you said @pcs the youth of today really are products of their time and age and I'm certain the old timers looked at my generation with disgust....I know when I first joined the military in the early '80s our instructors thought we were slovenly and lazy and wouldn't amount to anything.

now it’s your turn to tell the youngsters how it use to be. like how much faster an iroc/ fox body was compared to their civic haha. im out here watching the next batch of gear heads learn the trade.

8AED72B7-3E3C-41BA-B953-36EB3EDABE20.jpeg

Of course not ALL kids today are dumb, but most of them can't comprehend basic stuff that isn't electric. Planning ahead? What's that?
atleast the kids here in the DC area. They think loud equates race car. No need to hit the rev limiter every two seconds on your FRS.
Hahaha you sound old! Everyone went through the same learning curves! Some more extreme ww1/ww2, civil war the wild west etc. Times change and people change, we are a product of our upbringing and technology.

Back