This is typical.

newman

Registered
Now the Olympics is nearly here, we have the UK muck something up again saga.

First off security all messed up, thousands of soldiers have been put on security duty, because the company doing the security, could only train, at this point in time, about 6000 people instead of 10,400.
Soldiers back off duty in Afghanistan, no rest, put on security duty.

Coach catches fire in Olympic transport depot.

At the womens football match they put the South Korean flag up for the North Korean womens football team by mistake. Caused a bit of trouble this one.:laugh:

Making one lane of the motorway from the airport in to London, for Olympic vehicles only, first day 32 mile tail back.

£130 fine for using said lane, no one knows who is policing it. Sorted out now.

Not knocking the the Olympics, I love them.

It's just typical of the UK to muck things up.
If you don't live here you don't know what it's like.:laugh:

Waiting for more thing to happen.

4800 people offered refunds on tickets for diving events, because they can't see the diving platform properly.

Confusion over traffic lanes, people don't know what lanes to use as traffic signals are not working properly.

War-weary soldiers returning from a combat zone straight to police duty? A bunch of them haven't calmed down yet that is a dangerous mixture.

Putting the South Korean Flag up on the North Koreans, while maybe a mistake (and maybe not), was pretty bad...

I saw this on the news last night Newman, the cabs cannot use the lane that is for athelete drop offs or VIP's, who is to drop them off other than the cab drivers. They interviewed some cabbies and they were pissed. After 911 it must be hell to organize something of this magnitude! It sux but we have to be patient. As for the North Korean flag boob, them commies must have flipped out! Funny as S@#t...

Well, I for one realize that mistakes will happen, a lot of folks are trying their best to minimize problems so the events go down as scheduled. I so salute the athletes and their accomplishment to represent their countries. To me, they've all won even before their events. As to making it all work at once.....I think it's healthy to give people some slack and keep criticism to a minimum, the opening ceremonies haven't even occurred yet! I think the less we point fingers, the more positive the whole thing will be. Long live the United Kingdom. Raydog

Security alert at new shopping centre, near Olympic stadium.

Rucksack on ground, security people standing around it, all of 5ft away from it, ushering people past, people so close if it was a bomb many would have been killed or injured.

I was thinking this morning about the entire process to choose great cities to hold the Olympics in, and what an honor that is, then I was wondering just how much of a cluster-of-chaos-crime-and-insanity it must be for the host city. There's no amount of time that would allow any city to fully prep for all of the possible scenarios...talk about stress!

So newman, are you going to watch any of the events? :poke:

Funny I was just thinking that maybe the stadiums would be better if they was built outside the city, but then you have got to get there. And some of the facilities are going to be left after it is all finished, plus the Olympic village flats are going to be modified so people to live in them. So it benefits the community.
And Stratford is easy enough to get to so people outside of the local area can benefit as well.

Stratford is in the East End of London, where Lynne and me grew up, so we know it well. Only lived 3.5 miles away.
The trouble is you can't really do anything to upgrade the roads to make them bigger. The train station and bus garage have been upgraded, but there is only so much you can do.

The stadium and surrounding area was all waste ground anyway, so that was good to work with.

I'm only going to watch on television.

Getting tickets for the live events was so hit and miss.
You could put down a preference for what events you wanted to see, but you weren't guaranteed to get the tickets for it, you might something completely different.:banghead:

I couldn't afford the prices anyway.

The football started on Wednesday.

I like the athletics best.

Are you going to watch any yourself.

I'll watch as much of it as I can. I'm heading over to a friend's house tonight so we can watch the 4.5 hour opening ceremonies :laugh:

6000 people turn up for Archery event, which was advertised as a non ticket free event on the official Olympics website.

Would not let any of them in, said it was press and media only.
Subsequently ad taken down on web site, Olympic official denies it was ever a non ticket event.

I can't put everything that goes wrong over the next two weeks, I'm giving up, or I will have a million posts.:laugh:

Back