gurrera

Registered
Salary of retired US Presidents .............$450,000 FOR LIFE

Salary of House/Senate members ..........$174,000 FOR LIFE

Salary of Speaker of the House .............$223,500 FOR LIFE

Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders .....$193,400 FOR LIFE

Average salary of a soldier DEPLOYED IN AFGHANISTAN - $38,000

Average income for seniors on SOCIAL SECURITY - $12,000

I think we found where the cuts should be made! If you agree... Pass it on!

Salary of retired US Presidents .............$450,000 FOR LIFE

Salary of House/Senate members ..........$174,000 FOR LIFE

Salary of Speaker of the House .............$223,500 FOR LIFE

Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders .....$193,400 FOR LIFE

I would bet that if these people were told that they would have to go and get a job after there terms were over, They would do a better job for us while they are there. I feel sorry for the soldier. They deserve better.

Crooks and cheats run this country. None of them deserve payment for life. Payment for the term in office, ONLY. Where are my blood pressure pills. :banghead:

dont agree at all. anyone who is a senior that has lived 65 or 70 years and hasnt saved or invested enough money to live on anything other the SS has no one to blame but themselves. I dont feel sorry them at all. if one cant save $5k a year for retirement then thats on them.

as far as the elected officals go try paying them $38k a yr. and see what kind of elected officials we get as a whole. if you think its bad now see who we would get as a replacement if the salary was not inviting. there not perfect but most are highly educated and could have done a dozen other things with their career to make a hell of a lot more then what they currently get paid now.

I appreciate what our troops do over seas and they should certainly get paid more then they do especially while serving in a combat zone but they are well aware of what their salary is before they enlist and many are fresh out of high school with no education or experience. its not a desirable job which is why it doesnt pay much.

dont agree at all. anyone who is a senior that has lived 65 or 70 years and hasnt saved or invested enough money to live on anything other the SS has no one to blame but themselves. I dont feel sorry them at all. if one cant save $5k a year for retirement then thats on them.

as far as the elected officals go try paying them $38k a yr. and see what kind of elected officials we get as a whole. if you think its bad now see who we would get as a replacement if the salary was not inviting. there not perfect but most are highly educated and could have done a dozen other things with their career to make a hell of a lot more then what they currently get paid now.

I appreciate what our troops do over seas and they should certainly get paid more then they do especially while serving in a combat zone but they are well aware of what their salary is before they enlist and many are fresh out of high school with no education or experience. its not a desirable job which is why it doesnt pay much.

If they made 38K a year they might make better decisions because they would know how ****ty it is to live of that kinda of salary. They are public servants and if they can't relate to the Public at hand then why are they Leading our Country ?

I don't know about your salary, and your ability to save money, but my dad is/will be soon, one of those living on social security. He is a professional mechanic, and has been able to make a comfortable living while not charging the ridiculous rates charged by most large shops/dealerships. Not counting the cost of his tools and equipment over the years, he almost single handedly raised my sister and I, put my sister through college, and helped me through some rough times. On top of that after surviving a brain aneurism, the medical bills wiped out what savings he was able to put together. It's taken us years, but we've almost got those paid off. He turned 60 this year, those of you who wrench on your own toys know how hard it can be, and I don't think he has too many years of it left in him. There are some people out there that squander their money and end up with nothing, but don't cast a blanket over everyone, a lot of people just don't make enough to live, raise a family, and save too.

I don't know about your salary, and your ability to save money, but my dad is/will be soon, one of those living on social security. He is a professional mechanic, and has been able to make a comfortable living while not charging the ridiculous rates charged by most large shops/dealerships. Not counting the cost of his tools and equipment over the years, he almost single handedly raised my sister and I, put my sister through college, and helped me through some rough times. On top of that after surviving a brain aneurism, the medical bills wiped out what savings he was able to put together. It's taken us years, but we've almost got those paid off. He turned 60 this year, those of you who wrench on your own toys know how hard it can be, and I don't think he has too many years of it left in him. There are some people out there that squander their money and end up with nothing, but don't cast a blanket over everyone, a lot of people just don't make enough to live, raise a family, and save too.
yes that is true but rare. few end up with little or no savings due to unforseen medical bills. it does happen but it is rare.

most have nothing because theve pissed away their money for 30 or 40 years vs. preparing for their uncertain future by investing early. time is critical to compounding interest. less then 10% of the population has more the $100k in either the bank or some investment at the age of 65. and investing in heath care insurance is something few can do as they age and become ill because they have not invested their money earlier in life and can now therefore buy health insurance so they dont get wiped out financially with an illness or disease.

some like ur father may only be able to just make ends meet. it hapens to many no doubt. but more often then not its a lack of finacial discipline vs. acts of God. very few people even on a tight budget cant save at leats 10% of their income each year even at a very eary age.

that blanket ur referring to is cast very wide but not by me. there by statistics and the numbers dont lie. there is always exceptions to the rules but the majority of those living on SS could have easily invested when they were younger but chose to go on vactions, buy expensive cars, houses, toys, smoke, drink, etc....

what exactly does squandering ur money and having nothing have to do with each other???? you tell me someone who is financially secure at age 65 who has nothing.???

living on $12k a year is having nothing and with the cost of inflation thats less then nothing. and most of those people who are financialy secure had kids that went to college and had their fair share of financial road blocks as well. but still managed to pay themselves first.

If they made 38K a year they might make better decisions because they would know how ****ty it is to live of that kinda of salary. They are public servants and if they can't relate to the Public at hand then why are they Leading our Country ?
sounds good in theory but isnt realistic. society is too competitive to not pay a high salary for a powerful and influential position like a US senator or congressman.

local state senators that may apply to but not to those making and passing laws and legistration. sorry, but you need very highly intelligent and educated people to make that happen. yea some are clowns but most are pretty dam sharp and chose to do that then make more money else where. for $38k ur gonna get mediocre. their not mayors or govenors. there a step above. a big step above.

sounds good in theory but isnt realistic. society is too competitive to not pay a high salary for a powerful and influential position like a US senator or congressman.

local state senators that may apply to but not to those making and passing laws and legistration. sorry, but you need very highly intelligent and educated people to make that happen. yea some are clowns but most are pretty dam sharp and chose to do that then make more money else where. for $38k ur gonna get mediocre. their not mayors or govenors. there a step above. a big step above.

Why pay them for life? They should only be paid while they serve in office IMO. I can see getting paid what they are getting paid for the reasons you stated but only while they are in office. Say a 26 year old got elected to office. He would be set for the REST of his LIFE for 2 or 4 years of work! That is completely insane and makes no sense at all.

If some one has worked a bit , got a good job then good luck to them

What pisses me off is the asylum seekers and immigrants who come to the UK and get hand outs with out putting any thing in the pot

Don't start me off lol:guns::guns::guns::guns::guns:

Nice work if you can get it.

I am not against immigration or asylum seekers, who are genuine.

You go to a airport or a train station, and nearly all the people doing the worst jobs are, black and Asian people, and they can't earn much money, but at least they work, while white people don't want to do these low paid jobs. So if anyone's on low wages perhaps they don't earn enough to save.

Also I met a asylum seeker when I was going to day school and the government would not let her work, until they had sorted out her case, so she had to depend on benefits.

Also people who join the armed forces know how much they are going to earn, but I don't think they earn enough, and while the are on active duty I don't thing they should pay taxes.

To all people serving their country, thank you.

some like ur father may only be able to just make ends meet. it hapens to many no doubt. but more often then not its a lack of finacial discipline vs. acts of God. very few people even on a tight budget cant save at leats 10% of their income each year even at a very eary age.

that blanket ur referring to is cast very wide but not by me. there by statistics and the numbers dont lie. there is always exceptions to the rules but the majority of those living on SS could have easily invested when they were younger but chose to go on vactions, buy expensive cars, houses, toys, smoke, drink, etc....

what exactly does squandering ur money and having nothing have to do with each other???? you tell me someone who is financially secure at age 65 who has nothing.???

Yes, this is true, most people in financial trouble later in life are there because of a failure to plan for a comfortable retirement. I was just making the point that it's not always the case.

And squandering money results in having nothing later in life.

Squander: Waste (something, esp. money or time) in a reckless and foolish manner: "entrepreneurs squander their profits on expensive cars".
Allow (an opportunity) to pass or be lost.

Gnbrett,
That is very offensive to me. I spent 20 years and 22 days defending our country and way of life as a Sailor in the United States Navy with the last 10 years as a recruiter. For the majority of those kids who enlist right out of high school, the pay and benefits are a HUGE step up from what they are accustomed to growing up. Let me give you an example of how deplorable the wages are for a military member. I retired as a E7. My base salary was ~ $37,500 (after 20 years of service). I started working for the company that I currently work for. Keep in mind that I was one of those kids that the military provided a step up financially when I graduated high school. My current job was my first experience in the corporate world. As of December 1 2011, I have been with this company for 3 years to the day. This year I will have made ~$140,000. Now you tell me, how can it be acceptable that after 20 years of management, leadership and technical training that $37,500 is a good wage. A vast majority of military members in paygrades below E-4 qualify for food stamps and various other forms of assistance. Not to mention their gross salary is below the "poverty" level.
As far as it not being a desirable job. In some instances you are correct, but police officers and firemen are typically not desirable jobs are paid significantly less than they deserve as well. Occasionally people work in jobs not because of the money but because of a desire to serve and be a part of something larger than themselves. As a society it is deplorable that we take advantage of the services that all of these people provide for us. While supporting these "career politicians" for the rest of their lives. Our country was founded on the premise that a private citizen would come out of the private sector, serve in a political position, then return to the private sector. Politicians now are groomed from the day they exit the womb. At any rate, I hope that someday things will change. I suspect they won't, but there is always hope.

Don
NCC(ss) (ret)

PS. I'd like to add this as well. I didn't realize how poorly I was being paid until after I retired. Annual salary is not a discussion in the recruiting process that usually happens. The prospective candidates are told about monthly salary and benefits. They don't know they should look at the bigger picture. As a recruiter I didn't realize just how much money I wasn't making either.

Gnbrett,
That is very offensive to me. I spent 20 years and 22 days defending our country and way of life as a Sailor in the United States Navy with the last 10 years as a recruiter. For the majority of those kids who enlist right out of high school, the pay and benefits are a HUGE step up from what they are accustomed to growing up. Let me give you an example of how deplorable the wages are for a military member. I retired as a E7. My base salary was ~ $37,500 (after 20 years of service). I started working for the company that I currently work for. Keep in mind that I was one of those kids that the military provided a step up financially when I graduated high school. My current job was my first experience in the corporate world. As of December 1 2011, I have been with this company for 3 years to the day. This year I will have made ~$140,000. Now you tell me, how can it be acceptable that after 20 years of management, leadership and technical training that $37,500 is a good wage. A vast majority of military members in paygrades below E-4 qualify for food stamps and various other forms of assistance. Not to mention their gross salary is below the "poverty" level.
As far as it not being a desirable job. In some instances you are correct, but police officers and firemen are typically not desirable jobs are paid significantly less than they deserve as well. Occasionally people work in jobs not because of the money but because of a desire to serve and be a part of something larger than themselves. As a society it is deplorable that we take advantage of the services that all of these people provide for us. While supporting these "career politicians" for the rest of their lives. Our country was founded on the premise that a private citizen would come out of the private sector, serve in a political position, then return to the private sector. Politicians now are groomed from the day they exit the womb. At any rate, I hope that someday things will change. I suspect they won't, but there is always hope.

Don
NCC(ss) (ret)

PS. I'd like to add this as well. I didn't realize how poorly I was being paid until after I retired. Annual salary is not a discussion in the recruiting process that usually happens. The prospective candidates are told about monthly salary and benefits. They don't know they should look at the bigger picture. As a recruiter I didn't realize just how much money I wasn't making either.
the military and the police have never been paid well. if making money is what someone wants then those are the wrong professions. some PD's pay well but most do not. especially down south. the qualifications for either is usually a HS diploma.

granted the military and police are dangerous jobs and SHOULD be paid more but most ppl dont want to put their ass on the line for strangers so its not that desirable therefore the pay is not all that great. cops work holidays, weekends and undesirable hours often. the military has to travel around the world for months if not years at a time in some of the least desirable places on earth. nothing desirable about that for many. its honorable but not a desirable profession for most.

no one has to go to get a Masters degree to work in the military or police to perform the job. a college education these days will cost $200-300k. no one is spending $200-300k to get a job in the military or police. at least not if they have any brains they wont. not to mention the military and police will pay for ones education once enlisted or hired.

im not saying the politicians all deserve what they get but if the pay and benifits as a US congessman or senator was not desirable then highly educated ppl would not strive for those positions. nothing offense about that. just cold hard facts.

the military and the police have never been paid well. if making money is what someone wants then those are the wrong professions. some PD's pay well but most do not. especially down south. the qualifications for either is usually a HS diploma.

no one has to go to get a Masters degree to work in the military or police to perform the job. a college education these days will cost $200-300k. no one is spending $200-300k to get a job in the military or police. at least not if they have any brains they wont. not to mention the military and police will pay for ones education once enlisted or hired.

im not saying the politicians all deserve what they get but if the pay and benifits as a US congessman or senator was not desirable then highly educated ppl would not strive for those positions. nothing offense about that. just cold hard facts.

Of these jobs, police and fire has a higher educational, age and character requirement.

Back