Wages

Of these jobs, police and fire has a higher educational, age and character requirement.
fire not so much. I dont know of any fire departents arounds here that require any sort of educational requirements. im sure some do some were but that is rare. fire departments get paid the worst to. SOME police departments have educational requirements but most require a HS diploma or GED actually. there are a few that require 60 credits tho.

age requirements vary from state to state but are similar with the military. character requirements I would say yes to some degree since you have to pass a polygraph in many states as a requirement to be certified but thats kind of a joke to be honest with ya. the military does not require a poly at all when one enlists. and you do enlist, its not really a competitive exam like police and fire.

any job that you JOIN vs. competitively test for is not going to pay well.

Most if not all municipal police and fire require HS diploma (no GED), DL, clean driving record, background check and good credit. Congress/Senate does not have those requirements.

Most if not all municipal police and fire require HS diploma (no GED), DL, clean driving record, background check and good credit. Congress/Senate does not have those requirements.
wrong, I work in a PD that has many members who were hired with a GED and now have masters degrees. smaller PD's have much more strict requirements. city PD's often adhere to affirmative action and have less strict requirements. having a GED does not disqualify you from getting hired and it is not madatory by all PD's. its desirable to have a HS diploma but its also desirable to have a college degree but not a requirement for most places.

when ur salary is $180k a yr. as a congressman good credit really doesnt make much of a difference imo since ull nvr be struggling anyway. as far as a driving history who cares? politicians work inside an office not drive a car at high speeds or operate a large fire truck requiring a CDL.

By federal law you must be 21 to carry a firearm as an officer. The age requirement for the military is set by the DoD. The ASVAB (test) required for eligibility to join the military is a standardized test and determines your qualification for a specific job as well.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

wrong, I work in a PD that has many members who were hired with a GED and now have masters degrees. smaller PD's have much more strict requirements. city PD's often adhere to affirmative action and have less strict requirements. having a GED does not disqualify you from getting hired and it is not madatory by all PD's. its desirable to have a HS diploma but its also desirable to have a college degree but not a requirement for most places.

when ur salary is $180k a yr. as a congressman good credit really doesnt make much of a difference imo since ull nvr be struggling anyway. as far as a driving history who cares? politicians work inside an office not drive a car at high speeds or operate a large fire truck requiring a CDL.

Regardless of the requirements or lack of for those jobs, they are still higher than the qualifications/requirements for congressmen and senators

The difference between 30K and 180K is the size of your nose candy habit or other vise you may induldge in. If 180K was suffice, there would be no lobbyist, kick backs, bribes or insider trading involving politicians.

dont agree at all. anyone who is a senior that has lived 65 or 70 years and hasnt saved or invested enough money to live on anything other the SS has no one to blame but themselves. I dont feel sorry them at all. if one cant save $5k a year for retirement then thats on them.

My biggest issue with this is the fact that these lowly uneducated folks and their employers paid a bunch of money into a system that they will never see and that congress has stole blind. In the end SS is nothing more than a hidden tax. I don't agree with all the checks SS pays out to young people that are defrauding the system claiming some disability while they keep raising the age for those that worked all their lives and paid generously into the system. I don't have a problem with the children getting benefits through college because that deceased parent at least paid money in. This after all is a forced retirement account that they have paid into with the promise of little to no return.

as far as the elected officals go try paying them $38k a yr. and see what kind of elected officials we get as a whole. if you think its bad now see who we would get as a replacement if the salary was not inviting. there not perfect but most are highly educated and could have done a dozen other things with their career to make a hell of a lot more then what they currently get paid now.

You have to understand that they don't serve based on their salary, but the power their position brings and all the nice little perks. I would hate to know what their actual annual income amounts to. It would probably even shock you. It's a corrupt system filled with corrupt individuals who accept money for votes instead of representing those back home.

I appreciate what our troops do over seas and they should certainly get paid more then they do especially while serving in a combat zone but they are well aware of what their salary is before they enlist and many are fresh out of high school with no education or experience. its not a desirable job which is why it doesnt pay much.

It pays better now than it did just a few decades ago, and they have other benefits and many of them take advantage and receive a better education and a healthy dose of discipline. Many escape a terrible life and all serve us well and deserve our respect.

I could have done much better for my retirement with the 15% of my salary that's been forcibly taken for Social Security than the Government has done with it. I don't understand how people can advocate the Government taking over more programs given their horendous track record over the past 100 years.

It's a shame we don't have a problem with athletes and entertainers earning $1Ms a year, but the folks who work in jobs that provide us with the education and safely we need to live our everyday lives they have to hear about how they are getting paid too much.

I agree GNBRETT that the people with the skill set needed to run a Country this large don't come cheap. However, granting themselves salary for life is, in my opinion, a corupt abuse of their power.

too much money is given away via a gigantic, and ever growing welfare system. welfare should be a temporary last resort, and not a permanent way of life as many see it today.

By federal law you must be 21 to carry a firearm as an officer.
nope. you must be 21 to carry a gun per federal law if you are NOT a police officer working. a police officer can carry a gun under the age of 21 in the performance of his duties to and from work and while at work. I had several friends get hired as a police officer at the age of 19.

It's not how much you make it's how much you take.....home.
You can make millions but if you don't manage it well or live way beyond your means you will wind up broke anyway.

Back