This is going to be a somewhat strange thread

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Good morning all and Happy Mothers' day!  Last night, we had a small get together with some people from my 2nd 1st squadron; that is to say my first as an officer.  The small gathering grew to about 45 Marines, present and former who had been in that squadron over on Okinawa.... As the evening progressed and more beers went down, we started talking about this person and that person... and up comes a guy who worked for me.. his name was kerns.  This guy was a weirdo... but I only had one real problem with him while he worked with me.  In fact it occured right after I fought to get him an award after he did some work for me that saved the gov't about 60K and 1.5 years in time waiting for the part.

Anyway, we did a health and comfort inspection due to some suspected drug activity in the barracks, when a young pilot came and grabbed me to come and see Kerns' room - I was the ground officer in charge of Maintenance at the time, one of three non-pilot officers in the squadron.

I walk into Kerns' room and he is in the corner tearing up (which turns into all out sobbing when he sees me) and there are 10's of thousands of $ worth of a/c parts in the drawers of his furnature, under his bed, in the head - everywhere.

Anyway, we took the parts and inventoried them and sent them back to supply; Kerns went back to has original work center in Airframes - he was a metal smith by trade.

So, back to last night, someone asks me if I heard about Kerns, and I say that I hadn't heard aything since he got out of the Marine Corps, right about the same time that I left the squadron...

Here is what they tell me... that Kerns had gone to jail for shooting down a police helicopter in Texas or New Mexico...
So, this morning, I decide to google "kerns and helicopter" and guess what pops up?  Several articles about his arrest... there are blog comments, helicpoter forum posts, etc...  all about how he took this helicopter out with a single shot.

So, first thing is first... shooting down a helicopter would not be as hard as you might imagine.  Anyone who does maintenance on aircraft or flies knows that there are EXTERMELY vulnerable points/places on any aircraft... so it is plausible to me that he shot this a/c down.

Well, the story goes that he was the first on the scene of the crash, and that he had heard a gunshot... and he was happy that the plane was taken down because it was bothing his dog by hovering so low for so long...

WEIRD.

Here is the rant.  Reading the articles, one identifies him as a former Marine Airframes Mechanic and Marksmanship instructor.  Another calls him a former sniper who served in Afghanistan prior to his departure from the Marine Corps.  Another one explaines that he recieve Sniper training while in the Marines...

So, here is the deal/rant part.  Obviously, no one ever checked his records or talked with the Marine Corps... these statements had to have come from him. So - why do so many people who get out of the military (especially before thy want to) embelish what they did?  Can't the fact that they served be enough?  How could everone be a SEAL/Green Baret/Special Forces/Chuck Norris?

Well, we knew this guy would snap at some point, and appearently he did.. BTW, all charges were eventually dropped because of contaminate ballistics evidence and no witnesses...

Oh and his parents claimed that he had suffered from PTSD since his exit from the Marine Corps following his combat duties...
HE HAD NONE.  The only deployment he made in the Marine Corps was to the Phillipines, and Ionly sent him thee because he hadn't been anywhere.

Oh well.  Not sure why I posted this, I am not a Secret Squirrell, No delta force here... I am not a member of SEAL Tem Six - I am just a dang mechanic.

I understand what you are talking about Shawn. I hear it all the time also. It just makes me sick. I myself never saw combat. I do not say that I have. I was just an electronics tech on "special" gear. I am just proud to claim the title of Marine. I do not need to embelish the fact. So I to understand the frustrations you are feeling. So I hope it hepls knowing you are not alone my brother. Semper Fidelis God, Country, Corps

I met a guy down here that was bragging he was a SEAL. I am pretty sure he was a sailor but not a SEAL. My father, grandfather, great grandfater, a couple uncles were all in the Navy, one of my best friends is a SEAL. If I would not have gone to his graduation, I would never know. Most special force officers do not mention what they are and not what they do. As you stated, they should be proud of what branch and what they do. I bought the guy a beer and would have thanked him for his service whether he was a SEAL or a fireman. While he is willing to serve and keep my country safe.

Thanks Kevin - I guess the main source of my frustration is that when people embellish thier service, it somehow diminishes what the normal people do... I am pretty proud of just being a Marine...

Semper Fidelis, back at you.

I met a guy down here that was bragging he was a SEAL. I am pretty sure he was a sailor but not a SEAL. My father, grandfather, great grandfater, a couple uncles were all in the Navy, one of my best friends is a SEAL. If I would not have gone to his graduation, I would never know. Most special force officers do not mention what they are and not what they do. As you stated, they should be proud of what branch and what they do. I bought the guy a beer and would have thanked him for his service whether he was a SEAL or a fireman. While he is willing to serve and keep my country safe.
We appreciate that... all of us!

Interesting.

Why some folks become Sergeant Slaughter after active duty service? Simple I think, folks who have served but never deployed, never experienced any action, nor combat, and they feel insecure about their contributions, or their lack of decorations.

Something along those lines anyway. You get REMFs who while in support of some elements from the 75th Ranger Regiment suddenly themselves become Rangers... Never mind the fact that they have never been to jump school, and hold an administrative MOS suddenly they are hardcore SOF warriors... UNLESS there are actual SOF Warriors in the area. Used to see it all the time in Tampa. Working so close with USSOCOM it happened a lot.

Think of it as Local Law enforcement getting all chest puffed when some folks from the Bureau show up. Same thing, you've got PFC Snuffy doing his refueling job surrounded by some SOF operators all soaked in battle rattle looking like death incarnate and next thing you know PFC Snuffy IS out there telling folks how he was gearing up for a mission last night... It's admiration, a sense of being left out maybe, or a desire to be doing more which leads to the tall tales and fantasy.

It's freaking everywhere though, I meet so many "Green Berets, Rangers, ParaRescue, and Recon" folks that I am pretty certain we do not have regular infantry anymore. The Harley Dealership is the worst, they are everywhere and once they find out that you were prior military it's all over. Best part is that they don't know where they went to school, where their units are headquarted, or who their DIs or TIs were... GO figure.
smile.gif

I just smile and nod a lot, especially with older 40+ something crowd, they've held onto their fantasies for so long I don't have the heart to ask too many penetrating questions. If it makes them feel better about where they are at in their lives then so be it.

It sounds like that guy had some issues BEFORE he even enlisted. It's probably a good thing he never saw combat. Imagine his mental stability then. I don't care what any soldiers job is. Your all soldiers first. My grandpa was just a nurse in WWII. He was NEVER ashamed of his duties. We can't say it enough...Thank you Shawn and all the other soldiers reading this.
thumb_up.gif

I'd tell you what I do, but then I'd have to kill you! :laugh:I have seen this in spades over the last few years and it's frankly quite disgusting. Some of it stems from within the active force. Some think that if you haven't deployed you can't call yourself a real soldier when others have done 1, 2 or even 3 tours. Think it's pretty stupid myself, but that's how a lot of folks think. Some that have an existing inferiority complex won't be able to take much of it and decide to make themself seemed cool like everyone else.

Same thing happened here about a month ago.....had a Marine go home to a wedding and decided to "Decorate" himself with a bunch a unearned medals. A recruiter who was attending and not in uniform pulled him aside and raised the BS flag. Anyway.....I have heard these stories off and on throughout my time in the Corps. They will continue. I personally can't understand what would possess someone to carry out an action like this.

Lack of self-esteem and self confidence I guess.

DD

I just fix airplanes man... I spotted and helped put a fire out on one once and was responsible for putting a few airplanes in the air on time for missions that really needed to get off the ground for one reason or another.... sure, the planes i worked on did some incredable things, i just had a small part in the MISSION. Its amazing though how often you say... i'm in the Air Force, automatically people say, "what planes do you fly?" I could have flown CAS missions in Iraq about 100 times in my career by now but, i just stick to my story... i just fix them, not fly them. I do on occasion fly in them to go places though!
cool.gif
<--- my pilot shades! LOL

It is usually good way to tell is the more they talk about what they have done the less they have actually done. I know what you mean by the support guys thinking they are operators. I see it all the time. I mean come on if you want to do it then take your butt over there and try for it don't go out buy all the cool gear and talk about it.

I try to down play everything I do because I hate answering questions. Standard answer to the question I am in the Navy I can paint in grey really well.

I was an everything wheel mechanic. I had a lot of fun on training missions. I also screwed up my back because I lifted more than I should have without help. Did I do anything special? Not really. Did it make a big difference in my life? You bet!

beerchug.gif

I hear what you're saying Shawn......doesn't surprise me a bit though. I have a guy at work, currently, that has done just about every job on the planet according to "him". He makes himself out to be "all that", and honestly I have my doubts. When I started working where I'm at, everyone approached me and told me he wasn't a very honest guy. Then came the morning security found him passed out in the head after a work-shift drunk. He said he got into a fight, and yet also says he trained in Tae Kwon Do, and is a 5th degree...... I'm no "ranker", but I participated/trained a lot of years in MA, and yet what was this guy proving when he supposedly beat the crap out of some guy
rock.gif
.....my teacher's would have kicked my butt unless it was in self defense.......

I think the guy's an alcoholic, and we know alkie's are liars, cheats, and thieves........ ask me how I know...
coolold.gif

So maybe your Gov't Sniper / mechanic / dingaling just has a whole lot of BS...and is possibly pathological...that is, he's deluded himself into a state of mind where he can no longer tell the truth..... I dunno, sounds like he's got a couple problems going on, AND has shot down a helo....what a tra-la-la-goon-dee-yay...........don't waste your time trying to figure him out.....
super.gif

Yes, in general it is true that the more they talk the less they actually did. For example, a friend of mine never even knew his grandfather was in WWI (you know the trench warfare ) until the funeral. The old man saw it all and never spoke of it. But it's not just military folks, there are braggerts everywhere - alway keep you BS detector handy (especially if you are buying a car or a scoot).

But I salute all who have and are still serving - God Bless You.

Two weeks is Memorial Day and I ask that everyone stop - even if just for a few seconds - and remember what this day is all about. It's not just a day off work. Maybe go to a Ceremony or something - but please remember all the men and women paid the supreme price so that we can enjoy our toys.

Yes, in general it is true that the more they talk the less they actually did.  For example, a friend of mine never even knew his grandfather was in WWI (you know the trench warfare ) until the funeral.  The old man saw it all and never spoke of it.  But it's not just military folks, there are braggerts everywhere - alway keep you BS detector handy (especially if you are buying a car or a scoot).

But I salute all who have and are still serving - God Bless You.

Two weeks is Memorial Day and I ask that everyone stop - even if just for a few seconds - and remember what this day is all about.  It's not just a day off work.  Maybe go to a Ceremony or something - but please remember all the men and women paid the supreme price so that we can enjoy our toys.
I think that was a trait of most WWII vets. My father-in-law never would say much about his experiences. I know he was in Leyte in the Phillipines, but that's about it.

The silence of those who serve and have served, is one of the most admired qualities in our service me and women from the past and today. Many will talk, exxagerate, embelish for their own reasons, whether it be admiration, sense of "wishing" they had done more or just plain lunacy, lying has existed from the beginning, there's no sense in trying to combat it...I hear alot of these things too, I don't chase it, I let others live in their own fantasies for their own reasons, instead I chose to teach my children that the sacrifices made by many, are known truely only to few,and sometimes, sadly, to none. I took them once to Arlington National to the tomb of the unknowns, and I explained that to them there, I think they understand that now. if you want to teach someone that lesson, there's no better place than there, sadly...many thanks to all who serve, have served or will serve to defend our nation.
bowdown.gif

Interesting.

Why some folks become Sergeant Slaughter after active duty service?  Simple I think, folks who have served but never deployed, never experienced any action, nor combat, and they feel insecure about their contributions, or their lack of decorations.
Good point.  I think those who haven't been in a combat situation tend to glorify it.  I can't imagine anyone who has actually been there doing it.

As for those how leave the military involuntarily...um, that's actually pretty hard to do once one has been there for a couple years, isn't it?  Doesn't that usually mean mental illness or criminal record?

As for the media researching his military record claims...why would they do that and ruin a good story?

Interesting events, especially given that you and he had crossed paths...

I'd say that 1) he likely glorified his "war stories" to his family, so they don't know any more than what he's told them, and 2) sure a guy that snaps and starts thinking it's perfectly OK to shoot down helicopters will further embellish his life's story to the press and anyone else that will listen. He's not quite right; I wouldn't expect much less I suppose...in his world, he's something completely different than the guy everyone else sees.

Now I'm going to Google his name and info and read more
smile.gif
Just be glad he's someone else's problem now Shawn...

Everyone I've known that has realy been in WAR or combat and has seen the aftermath of battle,don't brag about it.They want to forget it.Bragging throws a flag
bs.gif

Back