Thinking of upgrading Brake Fluid from D.O.T. 4 to D.O.T. 5

Boyer

Registered
I have a 2006 Hayabusa and I have upgraded my OEM brake lines to Galfer Stainless Steel lines. I have also upgraded my OEM rotors to Galfer Wave Rotors front and back. I sent my brake and clutch reseviours, both front and rear calipers, and my new front/rear rotors to the chrome shop to get chromed. After receiving the parts back, I reassembled my calipers with new gaskets. I dipped them in D.O.T. 4. Now I am thinking about changing the fluid on my bike to D.O.T. 5. My reasoning is that D.O.T. 5 does not absorb moisture from the air, it is synthetic, and has a higher boiling point.
In order to do this, I am thinking about cleaning my brake lines with spray on brake cleaner to remove any D.O.T. 4 brake fluid or residue from my lines. I am also thinking of taking apart my brake calipers and cleaning them as well. Also, I have removed the clutch attached to the front sprocket and cleaned the piston inside as well Finally, I am changing all by brake bleeders to Speed Bleeders (Stainless Steel) Do you all think this is a good idea? Will this change cause any problems (i.e. brake failures, or corrosion to existing parts) Have I forgotten any steps? Please let me know what you think

This thread has a lot of good information about changing fluids and cleaning the lines. They say certain chemicals entering the brake line/system can be a really bad idea. Also, you have to make sure every bit of the old stuff is out.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...-use-dot-4-brake-fluid-so-what-dot-5-1-a.html

Copied from the infonet:

Brake system contamination:

The single most common brake system failure caused by a contaminant is swelling of the rubber components (piston seals etc.) due to the introduction of petroleum based products (motor oil, power steering fluid, mineral oil, etc.) A small amount is enough to do major damage. Flushing with mineral spirits is enough to cause a complete system failure in a short time. I suspect this is what has happened when some owners change to DOT 5 (and then assumed that silicone caused the problem). Flushing with alcohol also causes problems. Brake systems should be flushed only with DOT 3 or 4.

If silicone is introduced into an older brake system, the silicone will latch unto the sludge generated by gradual component deterioration and create a gelatin like goop which will attract more crud and eventually plug up metering orifices or cause pistons to stick. If you have already changed to DOT 5, don't compound your initial mistake and change back. Silicone is very tenacious stuff and you will never get it all out of your system. Just change the fluid regularly. For those who race using silicone fluid, I recommend that you crack the bleed screws before each racing session to insure that there is no water in the calipers.

the only pros dot 5 is that it wont eat your paint dot 4 has a higher boiling point maiking it better but if u decided to change it change everthing ur line mastercylinders everthing it will turn like silicone after it mixes
This thread has a lot of good information about changing fluids and cleaning the lines. They say certain chemicals entering the brake line/system can be a really bad idea. Also, you have to make sure every bit of the old stuff is out.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...-use-dot-4-brake-fluid-so-what-dot-5-1-a.html

Back