Thinking of moving to California-Questions on Ca. m/c laws

I dont know the Palmdale area all that well, more familiar with Tehachapi, Lake Isabella, and Bakersfield. I bet map could provide more info in Palmadale. But, if you are willing to spend the day with us, I can show you some great roads in my area. I would make sure you have a place to secure your bike, thats anywhere in the Palmdale, Lancaster, Bakersfield area.

If your out before Sep. 17th I'll be in town and can show you around best i can. Always best to secure your bike down in that area better luck on the west side than the east side of town but as with everywhere can vary by sides of the street. Plenty of room if you want to store up at my place but it is about 70 miles from Palmdale. Lots of good riding to be done. Lots of the areas outside of Palmdale are where lots of magazines test cars and bikes for reviews. Also Willow Springs is about 15 miles outside of town if your into track riding. Should be cooling down by then making it more bearable riding. If you don't mind me asking whats bringing you to the area? Will you be commuting or working there in town?

If we move, I'm retiring and want better weather and I know there are countless things to do, area's to ride. The area is beautiful and LA is a place to be discovered and I can't wait to ride mullholland.

I've lived in the SoCal area for a few years, and would heed every piece of advice so far listed. Yes, the drivers here can be challenging - that old rant about SoCalers not knowing how to drive in the rain is often demonstrated true, and is a good indicator of a general mindset that develops in such a climate - but this is also one of the few states (the only one??) where lane-splitting is legal. You can google for yourself whether splitting lanes is a good or bad thing from the biker's perspective.

@groran1000 said: “south, about 1-2 hours east from LA called Palmdale, we have friends there that say it's a great place. Desert like, but a generally good place.

Generically true of all communities: generally good places and bad places. Palmdale is historically recognized for both methamphetamine production and the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works for example.

How will your bike(s) be stored in Palmdale? Desert-like, indeed. Expect scorching dry summers over 100(F) and occasional high winds (The Santa Anas) - high (and persistent) enough to shred a decent bike cover in a couple windy weekends, not to mention the effect of all that flapping against painted parts. Of course, if bike parking is indoors with even minimal climate control, then who cares what the weather's like, except as it pertains to riding, right? Personally, my bikes did (do) fine covered but outdoors, about 50 crow miles (and a mountain range) SE of Palmdale, and I've learned a pair of cheap ($35) covers last me a year, so I never bothered buying anything more expensive. I am now blessed with covered parking, but am still overcoming the occasional high winds. (But, of course, now I own a Busa and am considering a custom cover for the bike. Go figure)

Last I checked, CA had the highest # of registered bikes among US states, creating a stellar biking community similar to other like-minded geo-communities, except there are more of us. Easy to google that for an update. Also, as bikes are a part of everyday driving life in CA, cagers are slowly, begrudgingly, edging towards acceptance, and even the odd road-sharing on occasion.

To my knowledge, there is no law that prohibits anyone from registering a vehicle in this state, providing it is street legal (google "CA Air Resources Board" to learn about the ever-changing emissions rules, for starters). Also check out the CA DMV website
According to a page on that site:

Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Or here, for starters: Registering a Vehicle From Out of State Checklist

@groran1000 asked: “are the tags expensive? Here in Miss. they are expensive, my truck valued at about $30,000 is $650. But it goes down as it gets older.
  • 2014 gsx1300r registered last month in CA: $235. Stated purch price: $9,000 - ish. So that's 2.5%.
  • Your reg of $650 at a $30,000 vehicle < 2.2%

The “Snake”, SoCal, part of Mulholland:

Hope this helps!

Why would you have issues registering an out of state bike?

I was stationed in Cali twice.....1st time in Monterey (loved it) and 2nd time Ft. Irwin (Barstow)....

Why would you have issues registering an out of state bike?

I was stationed in Cali twice.....1st time in Monterey (loved it) and 2nd time Ft. Irwin (Barstow)....

Not a problem if you’re a non-resident moving here, but there are restrictions on residents bringing in vehicles from out of state.

Not a problem
if you are a
non-resident
moving here ,
but there are
restrictions

on residents
bringing in
vehicles from
out of state .

Took my Aprilia RXV 4.5 to the DMV here in California ~ asked them for April tags & it still does not have 7,500 miles .

It was registered on road in Nevada ~ but was originally sold off road in California *

Took my Aprilia RXV 4.5 to the DMV here in California ~ asked them for April tags & it still does not have 7,500 miles .

It was registered on road in Nevada ~ but was originally sold off road in California *

Aprilias are currently 50 state bikes. Not sure how many years that goes back though...

Could not pay me to live in Commifornia..... No Way No How!!!:banghead:
I lived in Mississippi and Louisiana, close enough to the east coast. Lived there 60 years and you could not pay me to move back!! As far as meth production, that's everywhere, no place exempt. My expenses here are the same or cheaper than in the south. here's your sign, if your a bikeaholic like me, and you get 300 plus days of sunshine, where do you move, if you are able that is, well duhh here in California!! Even when it's 110 here in the desert, it's by far more comfortable than the east or south. Something about that low humidity at about 5-7 percent does it for me.:super:

Thanks but no thanks I’ll live south of you in AZ!!!

Commifornia has too many issues for me....

I’m glad you like it but you can keep all that traffic, weirdos, restrictions, laws, taxes, wild fires, etc. In San Francisco they actually have an app to track where the homeless takes sh@ts on the sidewalks!!! Not making this up :crazy:

You can’t change a headlight bulb on a car or motorcycle without breaking some EPA restriction. Pay outrageous amounts of $$$ for registration and inspections on vehicles . Worst quality air in the country ......

Was stationed out there and seen enough to know I don’t ever wanna go back.

Thanks but no thanks I’ll live south of you in AZ!!!

Commifornia has too many issues for me....

I’m glad you like it but you can keep all that traffic, weirdos, restrictions, laws, taxes, wild fires, etc. In San Francisco they actually have an app to track where the homeless takes sh@ts on the sidewalks!!! Not making this up :crazy:

You can’t change a headlight bulb on a car or motorcycle without breaking some EPA restriction. Pay outrageous amounts of $$$ for registration and inspections on vehicles . Worst quality air in the country ......

Was stationed out there and seen enough to know I don’t ever wanna go back.

Of course some places in Ca are undesirable, are there none in AZ and other states, of course there are? There are bad places to live in ALL 50 states. Find a place in your state that is desirable and move there. Everyone sees all the homeless etc and there are a lot of them know why? There are so many more people in Ca. I'm sure the ratio of the homeless etc is just as bad almost everywhere, but if any state has a few people, you have a few homeless,meth heads, etc, makes sense? To me it does. I see less meth heads here in Ca than I did in Miss. I saw on youtube, there are loads of meth whatever in Kentucky, not near the number of people. I tell you one thing that is a super fact, the air here smells sooo good and clean. As soon as you cross the border of any state, you can immediately smell the difference and it's a BIG one!!! Also, when it's raining 300 days a year in a lot of states, I'll be riding my sweet Busa while some look out the window wishing they were in Ca. The scenery, mountains, Mulholland dr, Angeles Crest, hwy 178 thru the Sierra mountains, just gorgeous. phew man that road will make any biking road look puny compared to them.Tornados, hurricanes, don't get me started. So, leave California alone, LOL.:)

Last edited:
Like I said to each is own..... If you like the taste of the Commifornia Cool-aid more power to you. I lived and traveled in the West, Mid, East and South so I’ve got perspective. There are 3 states that I will NEVER reside in and that’s CA, MD and NY. My life my reasons my choice.

Back