Thinking of buying a 2005 hayabusa.

Darkflame

Registered
I called my local dealership today and inquired about the hayabusa's. I wanted to get a 04 model because of the deals I could get seeing that a 05 is now available but they are all sold out.

They dealer told me the 05 is 11,800. I told him when's the next sale cause I want to save some bucks he told me they rarely go on sale unless they are leftover stock when the new year comes in.

11,800 is a little steep for a bike that's never changed much throughout the years. I do however really want to aquire a new bike for the sake that I can never tell what the previous owner has done to the bike. The last thing I want is cruising down the highway at 70mph only to find out there's a bolt missing in some critical place that i'll come to realize when my $&*!& is smeared all over the pavement.

How do I go about trying to negotiate a deal?..Do I just walk in and say I got 10,500 right here, le's do this! or do I go in there and say well 11,800 is nice but look man there's a sticker for paint here and you know the busa ain't changed much since it's production, how's about cutting me some slack?...or should I offer really low and try to bounce high low high low till we reach somewhere in the middle?...I've never purchased a new bike before so i'm not to keen on wheelin and dealin. Well any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also i'd appreciate if some of you could give me some price points to work with. I don't really wanna hear stories about how you got a 05 for 8 grand cause I know that won't be the case in my situation.

I live in hawaii so I don't have much head room to "shop around" and the thought of buying something I can't physically critique sorta scares me off from the "show room condition" (yea right) bikes sold on ebay.

Thanks a million!

You will probably get screwed being in Hawaii. Try a different salesman and find the one who will go the lowest. MSRP is what 10800, 10900. I definately wouldn't pay a penny over that if possible in Hawaii. Try at the end of the day, end of the week, end of the month with cash and the most desparate salesman.

Hope that helps.

Ok sounds good. A friend of mine offline told me I should go in, talk to him about prices then just leave my name and number and leave. He said they'll probably talk it over while you're gone and offer you a better deal if they can't manage to sell you in on one while you're there...Kinda goes to show you're serious about getting a good deal. Yeah i'm gonna try go in and offer 10.9 out the door. I know I can't squeeze 9's like I see in the mainland simply cause they have a monopoly here on the island..Can't shop around....:(

I'm thinking you are pretty much at their mercy, since there is no other dealer to shop with? You can buy them all day long state side for under ten. Maybe you should check on buying one Stateside and having it shipped? I'm sure you would save a thousand bucks pretty easily?

Haggling is a strange animal and I don't know if there is a cookie-cutter approach that works all the time. I would check on shipping from stateside to the Islands to at least give yourself an idea. If you want to go with your dealer it may take a few attempts to get him to move if he is the only dealer with a nice inventory. If you start with a lowball offer the worst he could do is laugh you out of the store, but you are probably right the best you would get is something in the 10s at this time of year. Maybe start at $10.5 OTD and see how it goes. Good luck.

Only one dealership on the islands? You are screwed. I contacted at least 6 dealerships. A couple phoned or emailed me back with little info, others were barely interested, only one phoned back with serious prices, and I ended up getting my long time dealer to meet the one low price quoted me. Dealerships hate competing and most will not cooperate.

buy from somewhere else and have it shipped to you, shouldn't cost more then 500 for shipping. 9.5K TO 10.5k max OTD

I would go in dealing for gear as well...  When i bought my '04, i got them down to $10,250 including helmet, jacket, gloves to match and an extended warranty.  But that was on an '04 which MSRP'd at like $10,900 or so (Limited Edition).  I wouldnt go for anything more than $10,500 including gear + warranty on an '05.  If you cant find that, wait it out a bit, there'll be deals.

<!--EDIT|04BusaLE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104938162 -->

Darkflame....

Dealing for Gear is a good option. But I have found over the years, when they are convinced you are serious, then they will seriously negotiate. The guys above are right, you can have the bike shipped. However, buying your bike at the same place you have it serviced does have some merits.

Bring your check book and tell the guy you are prepared to pay X amount....if he will throw in gear. Tell him you will be a loyal service customer too as they make more on service than on the bike. If that doesn't work....you have little choice except to buy from someone else.

And used bikes are a good deal too...if you know what to look for. Even if it costs you some dough upfront, you will still save tons of money on a used busa.

good luck. Bring your checkbook next time....he will get more interested....you'lll see.

Hey guys thanks for the tips, All of you have given me some great insights on my approach. I've been a fan of the busa for quite sometime and have just indulged myself in the great wealth of information i've came across from here. I am hoping to try the deal in gear approach as this is something i've definately gonna need to obtain in the process as well...A deal with gear is equal to me then a great deal upfront with expenses in gear to follow.

Seeing that they are a suzuki dealership. I am most certain they will be my one and ONLY shop for service. I've had experience with them before for an old kawasaki ninja 6R I had.

I am hoping i'll be able to come on here one day with great news on a deal i've managed to get.

My uncle tells me maybe I should settle for a lesser bike and get the busa later but i'm gonna try to explain to him i'd rather spend my days paying off the bike I want, then spend today paying off the bike i'll have to put up with untill I get around to paying off the busa in the future.

Seems futile for me to settle for less when i'll just end up paying later anyway.

Damnit, why can't some 95 year old guy just come up to me and tell me he wants to give me a busa for 4 grand cause the bike is making his heart stutter and he doesn't know how much more he can handle.

Back