Thinking of buying 08 Hayabusa.

Kat99

Registered
So as some of you know, I am a former Katana rider and sold it a few months ago. Im now looking to buy an 08 I checked out recently.

Ive attached some photos, im asking your advice on two things as im not a former Hayabusa owner so I had a few questions about 2 things I observed when looking the bike over.

1. WHen i started it after it had been sitting for a while and cold , it sputtered for a split second until the choke kicked in and then reved up to about 2k rpm. As it warmed up the rpms dropped. I dont think "sputtering" is the right word. Its like it started when I pushed the button, and then for a split second seemed like it was going to die but then the rpms pick right up.

My Katana used to do this when I put the choke on. I think this is normal is that so??

2. When the bike is in nutral and on its side stand etc. it almsot seem like the top part of the chain is resting on part of the swing arm. I was unable to see if it comes off it when in gear. BUt its like the chain is resting on part of the frame and physically touching it. I have attached a photo to show what I mean. Is this the way it is designed??

Other than that the bike is mint and only has 7800 Kms. Not a scratch on it. My gut instinct tells me there is nothing wrong with the bike.

Image049.jpg

Image047.jpg

Image048.jpg

Yes the chain does need to be cleaned. He used a ton of that chain wax. Im not a big fan of it.

The rear sprocket is in excellent shape.

Im just concerned about the chain placement. WHen you place it in gear does it pick up the slack or something??

Nothing to worry about lad. You could try the spark plugs in the idle issue just to calm your nerves about it. Maybe someone with an 08 will chime in. Nice Bike:thumbsup:

Thats all normal !
I knew a guy that came off a Katana for many years, bought the 09' ... he hasn't been able to stop smiling for three weeks, he says his mouth is starting to ache, I hope this doesn't happen to you !!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: >> Hobo

The Gen IIs crank on demand, like yours. You just push the starter. Clean, wax, and adjust the chain :thumbsup:

I'm not 2sure where ur located BUT u did usa "kms" vice "mph" so ur not in the U.S. if indeed u are in the U.K. I was there late 2006 and remember seeing some kind of constant chain oiling system.
it was gravity feed, mounted behind the GIANT license plate. had a rubber hose that ran from the resevour(spell check?) to near the chain. had some kind of "wick" or similar absorbant tip that contacted the chain. kept the chain looking like that its whole life. look for signs of that.
this system will cause a little more neglect to the chain because the owner will assume that the chain will NEVER need maintenance.

good luck and "nice bit of kit" :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

The chain is filthy.Got to clean it up pronto or else the life span of the chain will be shorter.About the starting part i am not that sure,maybe those with gen 2 can help to answer that.Other than that what are you waiting for?Although its not my choice of colour:laugh:

I have a Gen II and the starting is exactly the same. You hit the starter, it fires right up, sputters (sounds like it's dying) for a few seconds, and then revs up and smooths out. have watched a few other Gen II's do the same thing. have to assume it's completely normal. My chain doesn't touch the swing arm like that. It's a little slack in that position, but doesn't touch. Your's probably just needs adjusting. Nice looking bike; I'd go for it.

I have a Gen II and the starting is exactly the same. You hit the starter, it fires right up, sputters (sounds like it's dying) for a few seconds, and then revs up and smooths out. have watched a few other Gen II's do the same thing. have to assume it's completely normal. My chain doesn't touch the swing arm like that. It's a little slack in that position, but doesn't touch. Your's probably just needs adjusting. Nice looking bike; I'd go for it.

my gen2 is the same

I HAD TO ADJUST THE CHAIN ON MY 08 3 TIMES IN THE FIRST 1500 MILES DUE TO "NEW CHAIN STRETCH", HE MAY HAVE NOT ADJUSTED THE CHAIN ENOUGH YET SINCE NEW. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replys guys,

I figured it was all normal but just wanted to check.

All the oil changes and maintenance was done at Racers Choice in Brantford.
It still has the original tires on it and looking at the tire its apparent that it was never cornered hard, mostly riding on highway.

The bike is in goodshape. The guy has to sell it due to the fact he is going ot be having surgery over the winter and getting a whole bunch of screws and plates in his leg from a snowmobiling accident.

Get copies of the service/maintenance records from the shop. How much will the shop charge for a PPI (PrePurchase Inspection)? Factor what needs servicing/replacing based on PPI in the purchase price. Best of luck.

The dude may have downsized the countershaft sprocket (dropped teeth on the drive sprocket) thus reducing swingarm clearance. Could be why it is riding low. I don't think mine is that close (too cold to go out & look :laugh:) The starting is typical, no problem, I speculate they want a soft start while oil purges through the system, all computer controlled, no "choke" per say. Clean that bad boy up, and get the correct countershaft sprocket if it drags into the swingarm. :beerchug:

The dude may have downsized the countershaft sprocket (dropped teeth on the drive sprocket) thus reducing swingarm clearance. Could be why it is riding low. I don't think mine is that close (too cold to go out & look :laugh:) The starting is typical, no problem, I speculate they want a soft start while oil purges through the system, all computer controlled, no "choke" per say. Clean that bad boy up, and get the correct countershaft sprocket if it drags into the swingarm. :beerchug:

bike is totally stock.

Funny thing is , he sold his harley for the BUSA.

how ironic, I sold my '01 to get back on a Harley (actually a veiled excuse to buy a Gen II next year). Good luck with the purchase :thumbsup:

Back