thinking about drag racing

lot boy

Registered
was thinking about getting into drag racing--what can i expect from a day at the local track? i have been to a few car drags but thats it really--never as a driver or anything--
i dunno jack about the behind the scenes, or how its run.
Is it a cut throat racing scene (generaly speaking) or is it a bunch of people having a good time?
It seems kinds cut throat judging from this forum--tons of negative smack talk ect..
My local track races 1/8 mile i heard, is that standard for "anytown usa" or does my track blow?
Dial in what huh ? do i have to? i dig heads up "i crossed the finish before you" kinda racing- they still do that right?
I was just trying to get a feel for the whole thing ,thanks for any input
smile.gif

See, Creekboy will hook you up. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm far from a pro but have a clue on what and what not to do.

i cant speak 4 all tracks but at ours if you had a mech prob just about everybody there would try help loan parts ect.

Get with one of the members or just go on a TEST & TUNE night so you don't have to mess with all that other crap.

Just get your bike teched, ask another biker a few questions and then take your time and make a smooth run. Don't be nervous and don't get in a hurry to run. Go watch them line up and figure out the lights then take your time and HAVE FUN!
wink.gif

The smack talk is just friendly kidding here. There are some that take it seriously, but you will find that most are there to have fun. I am just starting and have already made friends and have had a great time. Tke your time and have fun.

Once you go down the track you will be HOOKED!
Just have fun & don't worry how fast you are the
first few times. I seen a guy flip over backwards on
his very first pass!

make sure you take your leathers with you....most tracks require leathers and a teather kill anymore expecially the NHRA sanctioned ones, and if a bike goes 9:90 or better which busa's are known to do from time to time lol you'll need full leathers and a kill switch...

He probably won't run a 9.9 first time out but the reason he needs leathers is because he will TRAP over 125mph....
wink.gif

Kill switch is a must at most tracks now.
smile.gif

As far as technique goes, what kind of advice can anyone of you give me? Im preparing for a race in 3 weeks with a (supposingly) 9 sec mustang. I want my busa to spank that mustang.

NHRA changed the rules so that if you have a factory tip over switch (which most fuel injected bikes do) you do not need a tether/lanyard. Full leathers are required after exceeding 120 mph, leather boots/shoes that go above the ankle, leather or kevlar gloves with knuckle protection, full face helmit with snell 2000 or better are all required to race. Most racers are very friendly and helpful. All you have to do is speak up and ask. Take your time and you will consistantly get quicker. After some practice and then more practice, you may reach the 9 second barrier. When you go 9.99 or faster NHRA requires a special license.

By the way, not sure if I would run a car anyway. Good way to get run over. Just be careful. Get your bike ready before going to the track as well there are many things to help.
cool.gif

Back