think outside the box...

Don't get me started... Twice Papa-Johns has refused to place pepperoni on their cheesy bread for me... Like it's some sorta federal law. I offer to pay extra... Nothing... No amount of discussion could make them do the unthinkable...

SO, I order a small pepperoni, well done, no sauce, cut like cheese sticks? Done and Done... Heck I can even order Cheese sticks with a side order of well done pepperoni... They can manage that but god help em' they cannot place those pepperoni on the bread or the place explodes...

hahahahaha that's funny stuff

One of my major gripes has been:

I hate tomatoes. Can't stand them. Pizza sauce, fine; Spaghetti sauce, fine; Raw, sliced, crushed, stewed, etc - I can't do it.

So, I've asked for no tomato on every burger, taco, enchilada, and burrito that I've had since I was old enough to order for myself. That's got to be in the thousands of whole tomatoes that I've had the opportunity to consume and been forced to pay for as if I had.

Now, the last couple years, I've asked something to this effect, "Can I substitute the tomato for (insert extra condiment here - ie. cheese, bacon, sour cream, guacamole, etc), please?"

The answer is always a firm, "No, I'm sorry sir that would be extra", or something to that effect. Yet the price of the burger that I pay for remains the same even though I'm not getting the tomatoes. If the dang restaurant (fast food, fine dining, or somewhere in between) is going to worry that strictly about the cost of ingredients they need to do it in both directions. I mean really, they add bacon to a burger and the key changes both the order AND adds $.25 to the total cost. Can we not add to the "remove the tomato" key a subtract $.25 function as well? Then the problem would be solved completely. How hard can it be?!

And ranch you forgot the damn ranch!!! I told you to bring the ranch. Geeezz

OH your about to get me started on chinese delivery now:banghead: I ask for and STRESS LOTS of duck sauce cause this store has a habit of forgeting to bring it. SO I make VERY clear we NEED duck sauce LOTS.

Yep they give us 2 packets AND forgot our egg rolls. They said they wont have another delivery in our area for awhile so it may be a couple hrs.:poke: THAT WAS UNEXCEPTABLE. I'm usually calm and cool about this stuff but enough was enough I called the store and demanded "you best come back SOON or I'll come to your restaurant myself and get it and none of us are gonna want that"

15 min. later I had my stuff but I NEVER order from there again.

And daggonit I wish they could find someone to answer the phones that can speak fluent english.:banghead:

As an ex delivery driver, Tip your driver WELL! You have no idea how evil anchovies and Jalapenos in a car are... The Anchovies leave it stinking of fish and the Jalapenos burn your eyes all the way to the door... :laugh:

my brother would deliver and if someone got anchovies that order rode in the trunk:laugh:

One day, way back when I was poor, living in an apartment and had next to nothing, I devised a plan (like most people once did) to put a couple shelves in my pathetically small, studio apartment. I do love my books!

Soooo, I figured that four four-foot 1x16's would be perfect, stacked on a few cinder blocks. You've seen it before in the typical bachelor pad.

I went to hope depot and found two eight foot 1x16's and asked if the guy could cut them for me. He says, "One dollar per cut." Now, believe me, a dollar isn't all that much, of course, but I had the opportunity to save a buck. I asked, "Will you stack the two on top of each other and charge me for one cut instead of two?"

The guy paused and I thought for sure he was going to tell me No or tell me that there was a safety issue or some other such nonsense. After thinking about it for a few more moments than really necessary, he said, "Sure. No problem." He cut my boards for me, charged me for a single cut and I went my merry way, sure that I had gotten a better end of the deal.

Eh. Just a thought. . . . :D

--Wag--

I hate tomatoes. Can't stand them. Pizza sauce, fine; Spaghetti sauce, fine; Raw, sliced, crushed, stewed, etc - I can't do it.

So, I've asked for no tomato on every burger, taco, enchilada, and burrito that I've had since I was old enough to order for myself. That's got to be in the thousands of whole tomatoes that I've had the opportunity to consume and been forced to pay for as if I had.

Now, the last couple years, I've asked something to this effect, "Can I substitute the tomato for (insert extra condiment here - ie. cheese, bacon, sour cream, guacamole, etc), please?"

The answer is always a firm, "No, I'm sorry sir that would be extra", or something to that effect. Yet the price of the burger that I pay for remains the same even though I'm not getting the tomatoes. If the dang restaurant (fast food, fine dining, or somewhere in between) is going to worry that strictly about the cost of ingredients they need to do it in both directions. I mean really, they add bacon to a burger and the key changes both the order AND adds $.25 to the total cost. Can we not add to the "remove the tomato" key a subtract $.25 function as well? Then the problem would be solved completely. How hard can it be?!

"You have to pay to have it your way" BK's new slogan......

OK Here's my favorite...

Big Macs are $3 something...

But Double Cheeseburgers are .99 so, I order my Double cheeseburgers
ONLY:

Mac Sauce, Lettuce, onions and pickles. Basically turning it into a 99 cent Big Mac. Most of the time it works great, one of the rare successes at fast food...

Same with nuggets, 3 four-piece chicken nuggets are less than a single 10 piece. Go figure.

One day, way back when I was poor, living in an apartment and had next to nothing, I devised a plan (like most people once did) to put a couple shelves in my pathetically small, studio apartment. I do love my books!

Soooo, I figured that four four-foot 1x16's would be perfect, stacked on a few cinder blocks. You've seen it before in the typical bachelor pad.

I went to hope depot and found two eight foot 1x16's and asked if the guy could cut them for me. He says, "One dollar per cut." Now, believe me, a dollar isn't all that much, of course, but I had the opportunity to save a buck. I asked, "Will you stack the two on top of each other and charge me for one cut instead of two?"

The guy paused and I thought for sure he was going to tell me No or tell me that there was a safety issue or some other such nonsense. After thinking about it for a few more moments than really necessary, he said, "Sure. No problem." He cut my boards for me, charged me for a single cut and I went my merry way, sure that I had gotten a better end of the deal.

Eh. Just a thought. . . . :D

--Wag--

:clap:

now that was fair deal there. Were are those people today. Not in the pizza bus.

wow Wag, that is cool! Humans being HUMAN!! Always good to hear.

Since we are ranting on foods, I've discovered the pleasure of accepting randomness. No longer do I get upset by screwed up orders, I look forward to the variety it brings my life, rather than the same old thing. Roulette wheel of life there. I oder cheese burger, no pickles, no onions.... will I get onions anyway? Maybe some pickles to pull off and taste pickle juice? Will I get a cheese burger at all? It's a lot more fun wondering what I will REALLY get and looking forward to the variety stupidity brings

Waaayyy back in the 80's when I worked at a chain pizza joint, the problem with this seemingly simple substitution was an inventory one.

The register tracks what is sold, and the appropriate amount of cheese, pizza sause, etc. is automatically deducted from inventory.

Some seeminly innocent substitution/transactions cant be accounted for in the register system, so it isnt in inventory, Food cost goes out of line, (if done often enough).

In essence it shows up as waste, waste takes money away from the Managers bonus.

Some managers would "short" toppings on pizzas to lower food cost, if someone did too much of this, the numbers would be too good, and a district manager would look into it.

Yes, it is a ridiculous situation, just trying to give some insight

Last edited:

Since we are ranting on foods, I've discovered the pleasure of accepting randomness. No longer do I get upset by screwed up orders, I look forward to the variety it brings my life, rather than the same old thing. Roulette wheel of life there. I order cheese burger, no pickles, no onions.... will I get onions anyway? Maybe some pickles to pull off and taste pickle juice? Will I get a cheese burger at all? It's a lot more fun wondering what I will REALLY get and looking forward to the variety stupidity brings

Dood... That's funny as heck, I've been doing that exact same thing! I ask for something complex or different, especially at the drive through I feel like I am merely placing my bet, or buying a lottery ticket. :thumbsup:

True "life is like a box of Chocolates" style, I just don't worry about it.

OK Here's my favorite...

Big Macs are $3 something...

But Double Cheeseburgers are .99 so, I order my Double cheeseburgers
ONLY:

Mac Sauce, Lettuce, onions and pickles. Basically turning it into a 99 cent Big Mac. Most of the time it works great, one of the rare successes at fast food...

Same with nuggets, 3 four-piece chicken nuggets are less than a single 10 piece. Go figure.

We use to do that here at work all the time the 99 cent big mac only thing your missing is the middle slice of bread well they cought on to us to now its like an extra 50 cent to make it like a mac.

Okay, I'm officially hungry now.

Good thing I still have an apple from my lunch.

:D

--Wag--

Yeah I gotta go start dinner and bake some bread...

Seriously.. :thumbsup:

Going to make some Poppyseed bread, some dinner rolls, and something for dinner... Haven't decided what yet....

Since we are ranting on foods, I've discovered the pleasure of accepting randomness. No longer do I get upset by screwed up orders, I look forward to the variety it brings my life, rather than the same old thing. Roulette wheel of life there. I oder cheese burger, no pickles, no onions.... will I get onions anyway? Maybe some pickles to pull off and taste pickle juice? Will I get a cheese burger at all? It's a lot more fun wondering what I will REALLY get and looking forward to the variety stupidity brings

Sometimes when they ask me at the local joint what I would like to order I just tell them to surprise me with something. And one time this girl at McDonalds heard me say that I wanted a surprise so she told me it was 2.50. so I paid and waited and then she handed me a kids happy meal toy. I died laughing at her. She didnt know why I was laughing so I just walked out and handed the toy to my buddies kid.

Last edited:
Sometimes when they ask me at the local joint what I would like to order I just tell them to surprise me with something. And one time this girl at McDonalds heard me say that I wanted a surprise so she told me it was 2.50. so I paid and waited and then she handed me a kids happy meal toy. I died laughing at her. She didnt know why I was laughing so I just walked out and handed the toy to my buddies kid.

:rofl:

Waaayyy back in the 80's when I worked at a chain pizza joint, the problem with this seemingly simple substitution was an inventory one.

The register tracks what is sold, and the appropriate amount of cheese, pizza sause, etc. is automatically deducted from inventory.

Some seeminly innocent substitution/transactions cant be accounted for in the register system, so it isnt in inventory, Food cost goes out of line, (if done often enough).

In essence it shows up as waste, waste takes money away from the Managers bonus.

Some managers would "short" toppings on pizzas to lower food cost, if someone did too much of this, the numbers would be too good, and a district manager would look into it.

Yes, it is a ridiculous situation, just trying to give some insight

In the 80's, sure, I can see that. Today though? Never. I write computer software for a living and it's just too easy to have the computer do the thinking for person behind the counter. They push the "add bacon" button, bacon comes out of inventory, right? They push the "hold the effing tomatoes" button and those tomatoes remain in inventory and off my burger. Everything -can- be accounted for, even the shrinkage, with the right smarts in the system.

At least 60% of the time I still get the flipping tomatoes. It boils down to laziness and padding profits, imo.

Back