Things that make you go hmmm ....

vmax735

Registered
Hello, Name is Phil ...

I ran a 1500 CC vmax at bandimere for the past 15 years..... Have never seen a quicker vmax.... normally aspirated... So kinda speaks volumes to the bike itself ... anyway ... I broke it about 5 years ago and got divorced. bikes been sitting in my garage, so I picked up an 05 busa....

Now the tragedy heheh .... Was running rough couple months ago . parked it mostly .... seemed like timing ... would start then barely stay running ... Wasn't sure .... haven't wanted to wrench for personal reasons.But I did completely rebuild my max 2 times so i'm somewhat versed in motors... the bike is pretty new 7000 miles ..... So pulled tank/plugs and did a compression test and the first cylinder was 90 psi ... tested the second one and It was 30 psi... now battery low so should charge it , I know, but went back in house and checked online for compression and I was seeing 190 psi ? is that about right ? ..... So I figured I had a timing belt slip or something more sinister .....

Sat on it for a couple weeks , life gets in the way, ya know, and then went back out decided I needed to make sure that my psi was accurate , hooked to 4 cylinder , and as motor was turning , antifreeze was sputtering out the #3 cylinder ...

I immediately thot cracked block or head gasket but then I remembered on my vmax there was water jackets ..... So i'm reaching out to the community to see if anyone has any thoughts... Ironically, I almost upgraded in spring to newer bike but I like my blue/silver color so much decided to hold off ....ugh....

hey appreciate any Feedback

Colorado Phil

I would guess head gasket. Could be deeper issues. Compression is way off. What's that oil look like and is she exhausting vapor ?

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies..... Do I have to yank motor to remove head ? What's the degree of difficulty on yanking motor ? Where do I start from a reference point , documentation ? MicroFiche online anywhere ? is it common for a Busa motor to tank like this after only 7000 miles ? Kinda taken back by the unreliability .... I thought a Suzuki inline would be super reliable.....

I thought a Suzuki inline would be super reliable.....

Normally they are. You have an 05. Do you know the history of it at all.
If you treat it like crap it will not serve you very well. If you take care of it it is almost bulletproof.

There are links to service manuals on this site and elsewhere.

Cylinder head covers are listed as NOT having to remove the engine (section).
However all the pictures they show in the manual are with the engine out. So I'm not sure how easy it will be, only
that you should be able to get it off and replace the gasket etc. with the engine in the frame.

The history of an 05 or this history of this particular bike ? I bought this bike from my friend who had bought it to drag race it specifically ...It was bumped to 1400 CC and I ran it down the track once posting a 11.0 / quarter mile around 128 MPH ...I'm in Colorado, so if the number shocks you then know that typically, were about .8 seconds slower than sea level.... 5800 feet.... Anywho, define treating it like crap if you don't mind..... I'm a redline kinda drag racer .... how else do you rocket it at top speed...... Thanks for the replies... Phil

if it has been redlined repeatedly and used for drag race i would say its time for refresh....When you bore them out like you did to 1400 the water walls will get a little thin. It sounds like to me like you may have a blown head gasket or a shot ring. Remove the motor and tear it down. You will get your answer soon as you pull the head. Easy as cake to yank the motor. Take maybe 1 hour 2 at most depending on your skill set.

V-Max & 05 Busa, sounds like a good combo to me.

V-Max.jpg

Busa1.jpg

Nice !!! I wish my max was still running .... what year max you have ? mine's 85 ... bored to 1500 cc ... 205 HP .... chain drive .... low tens at bandimere..... pretty damn quick ... haven't raced it since it broke down .... just parked in the garage....

it really hasn't seen that many track runs .... there is no way its time for a refresh ... something just broke is all .... yanking the motor is likely my next step... i'm still searching for documents that show me how to deep dive in the motor .... Taking heads off is relatively cake if you have all your ducks in a row... I don't know who to get parts from and I don't have torque specs or cam timing steps .... i'm not sure why there is antifreeze on top off the #3 cylinder.... so I like to line up everything before I deep dive .... Thanks for you input !!

Back