What air pressure do you run

Busa Dreamin

Registered
Pulled this off another site.

He is talking about the track but I would think that it pertains to the road also.
The dealer set my psi at 42 and now I'm wondering if the pressure goes up when the tires warm up how much traction do I have.
It just seems that the traction would be less then it could be at that psi on two wheels.
I know this has been asked before, but after reading this and a recent lockup on my front wheel (and accident) it has me wondering. I will check this 5 psi rule on my bike when I get it back.

"One way to arrive at your correct cold tire pressures is the 5 psi rule.

What you're shooting for is for the tires go go up 5 psi from the time that they are completely cold to the time that you are just coming in off the track.

The first step is to set your front and rear tire pressures to whatever your track tire vendor recommends for your combination. If you don't have a recommendation, 30 psi front and rear is as good a place to start as any.

Go out and get the tires hot. Like your out-lap (warm-up lap), 5 hot laps, and then come back in. Immediately check your front and rear tire pressures.

If your tire pressure has gone up more than 5 psi, that means that your cold tire pressure was too low and you need to add a pound of air.

If your tire pressure has gone up less than 5 psi, that means that your cold tire pressure was too high and you need to release a pound of air.

So let's say that you go out at 30F/30R cold and come back in at 36F/34R hot. That means that you need to add a pound of air to the front and release a pound of air from the rear. So for your next session, you'll be going out at 31F/29R. If you come back in at 36F/34R after the second session, that's a 5 psi increase front and rear, and you've got it nailed.

I know it sounds backwards, but it's not. Re-read it until it makes sense to you and you'll get it figured out."

Interesting, and I'm sure our track-guys and -gals will have a more educated comment than I. But for normal street use, Suzuki recommends 42 psi cold pressure. The tire will heat (and the pressure will increase) when ridden, but I'm sure Suzuki has that factored into the numbers.

These are PSIs from the michelin rep at the trackday events I've been to.  Recommended for Pilot Powers only, but other brands should be close.

Trackday when the temp was 99degrees.  37/37  front/rear

Trackday when the temp was 60 degrees   34/33  front/rear

Street PSIs should be higher as you don't push the tire as hard as on the track.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152727832 -->

38 front
38 Rear

I tried the 42/42 on the Michelin PP's but I just find the 38/38 works better for me. Sometimes I run the rear at 36 psi, but never let the front fall below 38 psi.

PP's on the street: F38 R38

Qualifiers on the track: F35 R33
Cold track (60-80F) -2
Hot track (100+) +2

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152677621 -->

touring / long trips: 42

normal street / twisties: 36ish

trackdays: 30

I prefer stick over wear, like a larger contact patch, agree with the 4-5 psi rule above, don't matter which tires I use

Great information. Thanks for the post!
smile.gif

42 for me.
+2
idea.gif
 Remember Track tires are constructed differently than Street tires. So what works on one does not mean it will work on the other !  For Track days (on my Duc) I always go with the Manuf. suggestions. I'am not Rossi nor do I think I am Rossi and I sure don't ride like him . So, 110% of tire usage is not an issue to me  
race.gif

Bridgestones:
Frt - 39
Rear - 40

I have found that the way I ride these are good. If I go 40 on both I feel has if I am on skates and on long straight runs I don't like it.... at 39 in both it feels squishy in the twisties... might be phsyco sematic here but hey its my world and I live it...
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Ive been running the new M3's at 38/38. Seems to be a happy medium for the roads around here and my fat a$$. Wear pattern about perfect....so far, so good.

Bridgestones I ran 42psi and I am running 42 in my Metzeler z3s now but I think I will be dropping it slightly because the ride seems to be firmer than the Stones at these pressures.

Thanks for the replys.

Looks like most people run the pressure at the recomended psi or close to it.

I wonder about the guys that do stoppies (i'm not looking to do that) do they lower the front pressure for better traction? Just wondering.

<!--EDIT|Busa Dreamin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152804427 -->

the main reason I don't use factory spec PSI of 42 is this:

Story14_Pic2_Lrg.jpg

Once I took a track day, I found out the SECRETS of how those guys do that without sliding out:

1. very special sticky rubber
2. pre heating tire warmers
3. lower PSI, larger contact, more heating

I can't do 1 and 2 in public [I don't own tire warmers] but # 3 works great

Stunters I film have 10 PSI in the rear. I never found out about the front, but you could obviously SEE the front was lower PSI than normal

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152804877 -->

the main reason I don't use factory spec PSI of 42 is this:

Story14_Pic2_Lrg.jpg

Once I took a track day, I found out the SECRETS of how those guys do that without sliding out:

1.  very special sticky rubber
2.  pre heating tire warmers
3.  lower PSI, larger contact, more heating

I can't do 1 and 2 in public [I don't own tire warmers] but # 3 works great

Stunters I film have 10 PSI in the rear.  I never found out about the front, but you could obviously SEE the front was lower PSI than normal
I dont do that though.

I don't think this rule is valid. I think it's more of a ballpark rule - and it's more like 10%. I recently installed SmarTire (www.smartire.com), and know tires' pressure/temp any time.

I tried 40 in the rear, and on the highway (speeds 80 - 100) the pressure goes to 45. I also tried 35 and on the highway the pressure goes to 40 - again increase of 5 psi. So what's the right one?

Also, keep in mind the following when it comes to comparing tire pressure for the front vs. rear. Since the rear is wider, the same tire pressure will let the rear flex more than the front. That's why I always have rear pressure about 10% higher than the front. E.g. 33F, 36R, or 30F,33R. I always prefer to have a bit more traction at the front, and if anything starts sliding, I wanted it to be the rear and not the front. Makes sense?

Back