Thermal Heat Wrap For Exhausts

Blazing-Saddle

"Kowalski"
Donating Member
Registered
I can't seem to find a thread on here about this so is it a good idea to cover your header pipes with thermal wrap? I've read pros and cons all over the web about this but the camps seem evenly divided. What does the B.oRg have to say?

I wrap my head pipes only with Thermotec wrap...

Is it really necessary? nope
Does it help? well a lot of heat quit coming out the plastics and it does help power (although probably very little) The amount of heat coming out on my legs is down maybe 85%?

I can tell you that it works much better than any of the spray coatings I have used but it is both more bulky, and a bigger pain to use.

JetHot coating has worked well on our race car headers "Zoomies" (these pipes can not be welded even, they will blow apart)

Cons:
WIll shorten the life on most pipes by a bit, however, I have never seen a bike with worn out pipes (other than OLD OLD bikes)

Do NOT use on Titanium pipes.. it will allow the metal to change properties and they will become brittle and break
Do NOT over wrap.. double overwrap is too much.. again the pipes will run too hot.. a 1/2" overlap of material is plenty.

The system is going to be a stainless Yosh TRS full so it should be ok to wrap them? And yes, I was looking at ThermoTec for the wrap material...

Back