header wrap

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I wanted to start this as a new thread so maybe I can get help quicker.

I'm having trouble with my HMF install and I've got em wrapped.

They wont go up any higher and part of the problem is the thickness of the wrap added is already hitting the oil pan.

Not to mention it (the wrap) is making contact with the fairing.

I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off cutting the wrap off and leaving an air space between the insulation and the pipe or does the wrap reduce heat that much that I would just make things worse?

Aha

Alright as you can see in the pic below I have no room between the pipe and the lower rear fairing piece...I also have no room for the pipe to go up as it is already hitting the old pipe hanger as you can see above it.

hmfblows.jpg

Now what the...I guess could grind it off or something...except I dont have a grinder that'll do it.

I have no header wrap on mine. Between 2000 and 2500 mile with no issues. I have heard of ppl wrapping them and I have heard of ppl that left them bare.

Don

Well...after taking apart again, I didn't gain anything but I may have found a glimer of hope. I took a hose clamp and put it on loosely at the x pipe. It creates a decent air gap provided it doesn't melt off.

I realize the clamp will get hot but should be cooler than the pipe itself, and it's touching the heatshield.

Another area of concern is on the left side by the upper vent. I took the fairing off and I noticed a tiny brown spot at the edge on the heat shield. I hope it holds.

If I get some melting on the bottom, I suppose I can live with it. But if the left side main fairing melts...I'll go ballistic.

Right now sitting here, I wish I would just got a brocks or a slip on.  If it's over, the hmf is worth it, if the saga continues...
pissed.gif

I don't think I can recommend an HMF to anybody right now.

When i put a Muzzy Ti 4 into one on mine-----it was wrapped already----- I had to trim away quite abit of fairing where the pipe came out the right side-- plastic was burning away----
After all the trimming i still get a hot smell when idling----- Anyway-- The world of aftermarket stuff is most of the time--- not all good--- but after a bit of trimming is became worth it....
Seems a Ti pipe radiates more than steel-------all is good and had a killer ride yesterday.

When i installed the Full Akro system i bought i couldnt get any clearance on the bottom about in the same place as yours. (Right where the wing attaches to the two side fairings) I got as much clearance as i could and figured i'd be ok with the clamp barely touching the screw that holds the under belly wing on. I was wrong, i melted away about 3/4 of an inch of plastic that i had to cut off. Made me very upset to say the least and it continued to warp the two foward mount holes where the wing attaches to the side fairings. It makes it very hard to get the holes to line up now cause it is so warped. Get as much clearance as you can and if you come up with enough space, wrap it! I know its the bottom of the bike but still, i dont like having damaged stuff either.

Back