The Ultimate handling performance upgrade

gunmetalbusa

Registered
I know this is expensive dreaming here, and I love my stock 05 LE, but I'm considering following through with some high end mods, I'd like some of your opinions...

handling

1. Dymag carbon wheel set (research tells me this is the best bang for $$)
2. Ohlins suspension (gotta be better than stock,,,right? but how much?)
3. Galfer rotors/steel lines (stock brakes are crap)

power

1. The lightest/highest performing exhaust system needs to be streetable
2. Power Commander (obviously with the exhaust system)

I want to spend several weekends per summer at Miller Motor Sports track
and I tour in empty quarter, and in the mountains. I ride hard, use all my tire now in the road twisties and I want to maximize the Busa's performance without deep engine modifications for now.:laugh: I would like to think I can stay ahead of the liter bikes in power, and hang with them in the canyons. I understand the track is another story altogether. I weight 180 suited up.

Question: Is this $8500 or more gonna be worth it? I know it will all look cool as hell, but I want to sharpen the tool some. Thanks for your time.

i couldn't justify spending 8500 on those mods but i am broke and i have never ridden a bike with a couple of those mods so i cant really say.

just my opinion from my vantage point

Hell yeh it is!

Sexs%20on%20wheels%20081.jpg

+ wheels upgraded is a fantastic handling upgrade. Less rotating mass
+ Raising links would be next 1/2 inch
+ 55 profile tire in rear
+ steel braided lines are a great upgrade

The Ohlins front end package is excessive. The after market companies make all the internals to make the stock front end work very well for 25% the price.

The biggest difference for handling on "missile" was the raising links. The extra ground clearance alone was worth this $30 mod. Not too mention the improved turn-in abilities.

Be careful in the canyons and have fun at Miller. MILLER ROCKS!

$8500 The wheel sets are alot of this cost. Having never ridden with aftermarket wheels, Lamb couldn't speak of the value in the price outlay for this, other than to say that people who get these, LOVE them.

I know this is expensive dreaming here, and I love my stock 05 LE, but I'm considering following through with some high end mods, I'd like some of your opinions...

handling

1. Dymag carbon wheel set (research tells me this is the best bang for $$)
2. Ohlins suspension (gotta be better than stock,,,right? but how much?)
3. Galfer rotors/steel lines (stock brakes are crap)

power

1. The lightest/highest performing exhaust system needs to be streetable
2. Power Commander (obviously with the exhaust system)

I want to spend several weekends per summer at Miller Motor Sports track
and I tour in empty quarter, and in the mountains. I ride hard, use all my tire now in the road twisties and I want to maximize the Busa's performance without deep engine modifications for now.:laugh: I would like to think I can stay ahead of the liter bikes in power, and hang with them in the canyons. I understand the track is another story altogether. I weight 180 suited up.

Question: Is this $8500 or more gonna be worth it? I know it will all look cool as hell, but I want to sharpen the tool some. Thanks for your time.

8,500 bucks??? Buy a GSXR 750 for the track days an leave the Busa alone:laugh: 750 will probably makes it way around the track faster than the Busa (even modded) anyway and if falls on the track your pride an joy will be home safe an sound to do a little less aggressive (hopefully) canyon cutting:laugh:

I can't speak first hand on any of the mods you proposed, but from everything I have read, switching the wheels will make a huge inprovement. If I had the money, I would swap to CF wheels in a heart beat!! As for the rest, I think Lamb's suggestions are worth serious consideration.

Either way, keep us posted and be sure and post picts along the way!!

:thumbsup:

Yep, Lamb is right on. For $8500, I would have a track only bike. and keep my busa as is.

Lamb's opinions are right on....I would add that c/f wheels are not (imo) a quantum leap over aftermarket alum/mag wheels...especially when such a big difference in $. Also, doing complete suspension mods to stock parts (Race Tech, etc.) is also so much lower priced than Ohlins but major improvement over stock or minimum mods (ex just fork springs). Raydog

The last two are great ideas. While I'm a fan of upgrading your wheels. Carbons on our bikes is a just silly & not necessary. You could go with some nice forged aluminum(also by Dymag) rims like I am and still see some significant weight loss.
Brakes are 1st on my list though! Their awful.

8,500 bucks??? Buy a GSXR 750 for the track days an leave the Busa alone:laugh: 750 will probably makes it way around the track faster than the Busa (even modded) anyway and if falls on the track your pride an joy will be home safe an sound to do a little less aggressive (hopefully) canyon cutting:laugh:
I agree

I agree with buying the track bike. Buy an insurance write-off 600 or 750 and turn it into a track only with race plastic, no headlight etc and slap some track rubber on it. Faster than the Busa around the track and no worries about burying it in the kitty litter.

I'm still pushin for performance brakes and aluminum wheels and reworked total suspension, it'll run with many of the liter bikes if you got the skill! (and save $) Raydog

P1000958.JPG

P1010334.JPG

P1010351.JPG

Busa rear.jpg

Thanks a lot for all your input, lots of new ideas. I went all out on a carbon full suspension mountain bike that cost twice as much as my truck is worth if that tells you where my priorities lay. Love mountain biking and the money was definitely worth it. I enjoy my Busa just as much and would like to make it really special, and really potent.

Truth be told, I'd even like to do a 1397 kit on top of my original ideas, it's all a matter of the dalores. I know so many people who have dumped 20-30k on their Harleys, or customs. A Busa with all the good stuff ends up being so far ahead in so many ways, it almost makes a good argument to my wife.....almost.:thumbsup:

Buy the bst's,you don't want what i have and others have had with dymag issues

Thanks a lot for all your input, lots of new ideas. I went all out on a carbon full suspension mountain bike that cost twice as much as my truck is worth if that tells you where my priorities lay. Love mountain biking and the money was definitely worth it.

What mtn bike did you buy?

Back