Bolt on vs. full system exhaust

bdowdy

Registered
I have an '06 Busa with Yoshimura bolt on cans. I haven't noticed any number markings on them, so I don't know what model exhaust they are. I'm considering installing a full system of some type. I already have a PCIII and a TRE.

I've read that the increase in performance is because the full system exhaust allows for more horseposer AND the full system is lighter than the stock. Is the weight savings in the the headers or in the cans? Is there a lot of difference in weight between stock headers with the bolt on Yohsimura's vs. a full system?

I'm looking for a "feelable" increase in performance. I don't race and I don't understand or care much about Dyno numbers. I like to "feel" the power, and I don't think I could "feel" a simple 2% or 3% increase.

the weight is probably a bigger issue than power gains... and it comes both from the cans and pipe..

the stock head pipe is mammoth in weight and then you get half the cans... I think you shed about 20-25 lbs... and you can feel that weight loss... not sure that is worth the price of admission but I like a bit more pipe sound than stock but not something really loud.. I dumped Micron slipons and went with a TiForce.. the slipons were louder

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the Muzzy M-10 or Brock's Alien Head?

I actually prefer the look of dual cans, but if I change to a 4-2-1 I like the small exhuast like the M-10 or A-H.

I appreciate the info you shared.

Any thoughts on the Muzzy M-10 or Brock's Alien Head?

I actually prefer the look of dual cans, but if I change to a 4-2-1 I like the small exhuast like the M-10 or A-H.

I appreciate the info you shared.

Those systems will create power and loud at the same time

I have an '06 Busa with Yoshimura bolt on cans. I haven't noticed any number markings on them, so I don't know what model exhaust they are. I'm considering installing a full system of some type. I already have a PCIII and a TRE.

I've read that the increase in performance is because the full system exhaust allows for more horseposer AND the full system is lighter than the stock. Is the weight savings in the the headers or in the cans? Is there a lot of difference in weight between stock headers with the bolt on Yohsimura's vs. a full system?

I'm looking for a "feelable" increase in performance. I don't race and I don't understand or care much about Dyno numbers. I like to "feel" the power, and I don't think I could "feel" a simple 2% or 3% increase.
I went from slip ons to a yoshi full system and got a BIG sotp jump in performance. You go full system and put a 42 rear sprocket on to go with the 16 front, and I guarantee you'll grin every time you twist the throttle :thumbsup: Between the much lighter feel of the bike, and better handling from the weight loss, and the big hit when you twist the throttle, you'll love a full system upgrade :beerchug:

i went from stock to a full yosh system and it was a big difference in weight, i really could feel the weight diff.

Going from slip on to full exhaust I believe is only worth 2-3rwhp max. Now add a sprocket in the mix and you'll really feel the difference.

I had my stock 06 for 3 summers before I finally installed a full exhaust. It made a big difference in feel. You can tell the weight is gone.

I also went 16t sprocket and got a tune from Johnny Cheese...so I am in high heaven.:thumbsup:

I had my stock 06 for 3 summers before I finally installed a full exhaust. It made a big difference in feel. You can tell the weight is gone.

I also went 16t sprocket and got a tune from Johnny Cheese...so I am in high heaven.:thumbsup:
you are just "high" Rodney :) I think the weight is the big plus (well minus if you wanna get technical :laugh: )

Thanks guys. I had considered getting a Gen II Busa, but I've changed my mind. I like the looks of the rear end of the Gen I better, and my Busa already has some add ons like the PCIII, Speedohealer, GIPro/TRE, etc. (Hope I didn't offend any Gen II owners out there, just a matter of preference)

I think I'd rather spend money on my '06 rather than start over on a new one.

I'm geared 16/40 right now, but I'll try the 16/42. I also want to extend the swingarm about 6", just for appearance. I also like loud exhaust!

See ya'll

Back