The Shinko 003 Drag Radial! First Look!

will post more information on tire wed...rite here in this post

again if you would like to be on the call list please just pm name and contact number

Ive been using the 003 ultra soft both at the strip and on the street for 27k miles now....I love these tires, but recently switched to some pirelli angel st's as Im going to go back and do some much needed cornering in my life...:thumbsup:

How did you get a lighter tire, softer sidewall and a softer compound in a tire that will hold up to the modified bikes? You would think with all of those awesome attributes, the tire would shred itself at the track. If it holds up to tire ripping 200mph runs, it will be the most advanced tire out there for a normal width tire. Should be interesting.........take photos of the tire after you run for a day. Remember, pictures rule!

Referring to a "DRAG RADIAL", means 1/4 mile. I haven't seen a bike yet that'll do 200 in a 1/4 that isn't running a drag slick.

The Power One is blowing away the MT shootout right now . . .:moon: so I am not sure what you mean here- the Michelin hooks better, and lasts longer.

Shinko has always been a heavy, crappy handling tire that happened to stick good for almost no money . . . I am very interested in this new tire - if it is what you say, it would have to hook on a 500+ turbo shootout bike, it would have to go 200 mph, and last around 50 runs!???

Doug, I hope it is as "incredible" as you say it is, can't wait!:whistle:

Since when does a Power 1 hook better than a Mickey? It may have better top end and midrange performance and stability , but it doesn't hook better than a mickey at the hit.

This sounds good. I can vouch for my 005's that I had. Mine stuck to the road real well for 3 1/2 hours in consistant rain. I am running 009's now and they are awesome.:thumbsup:

+1. Ran a 005 with no problem in the rain. That doesn't mean you can spool 'em up and drag knee when it's running, but I was definitely comfortable with the tires performance during the rain. Now my Maxxis, on the other hand, pure and simply SUX BALLS!!!!!

guy....we are drag racers.... prostreet bikes routinely run 200mph passes on non slick tires.. this is the class this tire is going to war in...

I will post vids from Dragbike Live.com

okay everyone...

The Shinko Drag Radial Specs:

1. Size- 190/50/17 (180/55/17 200/50/17 available mid 2010)
2. Weight- 11lbs
3. Sidewall Construction - 1ply
4. Compound - Soft
5. DOT Approved
6. Tread Depth- 6/32nds
7. Slick Dimple Design

As you can see this tire is built to be the best Drag Radial on the market. It is a new design from the ground up! A slick dimple design, light weight, 1 ply sidewall, soft compound drag radial!

Below are pics of durometer comparison test, which is a tool that measures harness of a tire Lower the number the softer the compound is. Up till now the MCR2 has been the softest with no other tire able to touch it with a reading of 49.

Tires with compounds in this range get traction in almost any condition. Now on to sidewalls. A true drag radial needs to have a sidewall that will absorb power and then apply it to the track. Stiff sidewall tires do not do this efficiently as softer sidewall tires. Basically it goes like this...wrinkle wall slicks work so well with high hp bikes bikes because the sidewalls actually flex and allow the tire to still maintain traction while the sidewall takes the initial shock and apply's the power through to the tire and track surface. This allows more power to be applied! Stiff sidewall tires apply this directly to the tire and track surface which can cause spinning on a less than desirable surface and most importantly will not allow power to be applied early nor alot of of it.

The Shinko Drag radial is a soft compound tire with a 1 ply sidewall.(same as MCR2) It will allow optimum traction and power delivery. It is light weight! Lighter than its competition! Softer than its competition and more economical to use.

Below are softness comparisons between the Shinko Drag Radial and Michelin Power One and the Shinko Ultra Soft . All est were taking at 86 degrees and measured...to provide a accurate test. From what some have posted the MCR2 measure 48-52 on the durometer test.

1st and 2nd p pic is P1 tested 86 degress measured 54

3rd and 4th pic is Shinko Drag Radial tested 86 degrees measured 47

both tires tested have 6/32 tread depth....

Michelin Power 1

attachment.php?attachmentid=31423&d=1257967161.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=31424&d=1257967161.jpg

Shinko Drag Radial

attachment.php?attachmentid=31425&d=1257967161.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=31426&d=1257967161.jpg

pics of the Shinko Drag Radial including me squeezing the sidewall with hand pressure

Final Pricing is to be released soon...I have not been authorized to disclose pricing as of yet....I do have a part number and this tire is to be available before the 1st AMA Race of 2010.

We will also have 180 and 200 sizes as well....

It will be affordable and economical and less expensive that its competitors.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31429&d=1257968195.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=31430&d=1257968195.gif

tested on a pro street 68 inch turbo zx14. Track temp was 57 degrees air temp was 51 degrees...tire temp was 55 degrees.

We initially did a heat cycle pass with minimum burnout and quickly noticed we did not have the tire to the correct operating temp. The bike hooked and left hard (1.33 short time) then spun 15 feet out for about 2 feet then hook back up stayed hooked down the 1/4 mile.

We then came back and did a 2nd pass and the tire again hooked hard and went down the track without spinning...but we again had not reached optimal tire temp during burnout...

On the 3rd pass and burnout we noticed something that was exciting. the tire was getting softer as the heat cycle was going into the tire... the tire read 55 degrees COLD in the lanes...and then durometer reading was a astonishing 50! a 55 degree tire temp with a 50 on the durometer!

WOW! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT...THE PICS BELOW ARE PROOF OF THIS!!!! Keep in mind that the tire at room temp read a 47 on the durometer

John left on a starting line with a 56 degree starting line temp with heavy dew falling (everyone down there can testified that there was heavy dew Saturday night) hooked up and was wheeling on the big end and had to let out set the bike down and then went back to throttle and the bike produced a wheelie again and had to let out again...

on the 4th burnout we had figured out the tire operating temps and all our test had produced results above expectations...

The same Shinko Drag Radial is currently with a AMA Dragbike Pro Street team and test session results will be announced later in the week as to the performance this team was able to achieve while using the tire.

I have contacted just about everyone that was on the pre order list and taking orders for the first batch to hit the country. If you are interested in ordering one...you can at the link below... the people that have placed orders or will place orders will receive be some of the very first to use the tire.

http://www.spencercycle.com/ProductD...Code=87-4008DR

The tire is $179.99 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR (lower 48 states)! and we will be shipping them in around 8 weeks. NC sales tax will apply if you live in NC.

one last thing to note....the tires have 6/32nd of tread depth....after 4 passes we still have a little over 5/32nds of tread left...

attachment.php?attachmentid=32240&d=1258579476.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=32241&d=1258579476.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=32242&d=1258579476.gif

Last edited:
Since when does a Power 1 hook better than a Mickey? It may have better top end and midrange performance and stability , but it doesn't hook better than a mickey at the hit.

Pro Street bike with a Power One:

1.20 60 - 3.18 330 -4.70 @ 165 -6.00 1000 - 7.11 @ 203

I sell both the Mickey and the Power One . . .:poke:

That was RMR Racing that did that...but they havent been able to reproduce the numbers from MIR...however they did do it...

However it is not a drag radial nor ever was designed for drag racing... it is a road racing tire

That was RMR Racing that did that...but they havent been able to reproduce the numbers from MIR...however they did do it...

However it is not a drag radial nor ever was designed for drag racing... it is a road racing tire

Yes, an off-the-shelf road race tire . . . can't wait to see this new Shinko drag radial, can't wait to put one on my own shootout bike . . .

Thanks Doug ... its about time!!!:thumbsup::cheerleader:

I'm excited about the tire, thanks for the call today Doug. Real talk, how will the new tire last as compared to a 003 U-Soft?

Back