The Ride

MrGxr

Donating Member
Registered
The Ride

The stars were out and shining bright as the moon was setting for the night with a glow in the western skies. Rising from bed the rider dresses in his leather pants and a white t-shirt. He could smell the aroma of coffee in the air and made his way to the kitchen for the first cup of the day.

After sipping the hot brown liquid, a blend of Sumatra roasted beans; he heads towards the garage and his ride. He turns on the light, opens the big door and there she is sitting waiting to go glistening in the starlight. He feels the adrenaline start to flow through his veins as he retrieves a rag and begins to dust off the bike. Not much dust has accumulated since yesterday the last time he dusted her, but he still goes through the motion of caressing the dust from her skin. He notices the stars as they shine within her colors a deep black with purple. How many months did he wait for her? How many times did he have to argue with the dealerships about this was the only bike for him and he would wait as long as necessary for her. Finally, the call that she was in; a trip to the dealer, a crowbar, removing the corner of the crate and peering in with a flashlight, there she was and he new the wait was worth it.

He stops to stare at the bike again taking in a deep breath of fresh morning air filled with the scents of the season and a freshness that awakens him more than the coffee can or has. He watches as his breath mists and rises into the air and out of the garage. Life is good, relaxing and waiting for the adventure ahead. He closes his eyes and imagines the ride, out to the local mountains and the curving roads that carve their way through the passes to the valleys located deep within them. He can feel the vibration of the bikes engine and hear the tires as they chew up the miles of road to a destination that is yet to be determined.

Shaking his head he opens his eyes and with a smile on his face he begins his pre-ride check; fluid levels, air pressure and dusting any dust he may have missed. All is within the recommended range. He reaches in his pocket and removes the key. Placing the key into the ignition he feels his pulse increase and the adrenaline running even more, he turns the key, pulls in the clutch, places the shift lever into neutral and pushes the starter button.  The bike leaps to life and riders smile becomes even larger, if that is possible this morning. There may even be a tear in his eye, but he doesn't pay attention to all that, he is hearing the engine, feeling the vibration and watching the exhaust turning into clouds of moisture and flow from the garage.

As the bike settles down it's idling rhythm the rider begins to finish dressing. He pulls on his leather jacket that zips onto the leather pants both the made in the color scheme of his bike. The two-piece suit fits him snug, but allows all the movement he needs when riding. He thinks on how this will help if he ever goes down, he doesn't plan on it, but he dresses just to be on the safe side. To many Friends have gone down without the proper clothing, some just scarred for life"¦ others"¦ he remembers riding with them and misses them dearly.
He puts on his leather and armored gloves that extend up his forearm over his jacket sleeves. Adjusting the Velcro straps he ensures they are tight, but not constricting. They are worn, stretched and have come to take the shape of his hand when he is gripping the bike. These gloves have been on many rides and have seen some long days.

The helmet was next, tight yet comfortable on his head, it does not move around when he riding at high speeds or twisting his head side to side running through the curves in the road. It does not make him feel closed in when the shield is down. This is a good helmet and he likes it above all the others he has owned and worn through the years. Again, he pauses and imagines the road ahead of him. He knows what road he is going to take this morning. It is a tight turned road that winds it's way through the mountains under an umbrella of trees. There is no real traffic on it these days, so he will push a little today and enjoy the thrill of hanging off the bike through the turns and tucking in tight on the straight runs. He feels the pressure in the palm of his hand as he begins his entrance into a turn, the shift of his weight to the inside of the bike, the weight on the ball of his foot and the road has it lifts up towards him as he comes into the apex of the turn. He can feel the bike start lift when he twists his right wrist and the power begins to ebb under his body. She is a fast bike, a heavy bike, but she handles well for his riding style. They are one when they are out together on the roads. Coming back to the now the rider ensure all his gear is on correctly one more time.

Putting his hand on her tank he is ready to ride, as is the bike. The bike is idling smooth and the adrenaline his running through his body. He is getting the shakes as he usually does, he is scared and at the same time excited. What is this ride going to bring? Who is he going to meet out on the road? Will he meet some crazy in a car that is out for bikers? Is going out alone the right thing today? All the questions go through his head and he overcomes the doubts and climbs on the bike.

Standing her up he kicks up the stand and turns the throttle, just a quick twist to hear the roar of the exhaust. He feels the bike beneath him and all worries disappear he is ready to ride.

He looks out of the garage out to the road that will take them on an adventure along twisting roads, through valleys and over the mountains. All is good in his life, no stress, no worries, just him and his bike and road to ride. This is what freedom is to him, the open road the wind in his face and two wheels beneath him. Some just do not get it and they never will, but he does and always will. The bike, the road, the ride.

Another quick twist of the throttle, hands on the grips, head lowering, body sliding back against the hump and feeling the power of the bike and coming to grips with the excitement of the anticipation of the ride.

Reaching over with his right hand the rider turns the key to off, the engine goes silent immediately, and he sighs. Raising the face shield up he looks out at the snow-covered world outside the garage. The adrenaline subsides, the excitement goes away and the rider puts the stand down and rests the bike on it. A few more months and they will ride those twisty roads through the mountains and valleys"¦ just a few more months.

You know I fancy myself a writer. That being said, I like your effort and style. Must admit, everybody has their own tendencies and I would do things a bit differently but it is still quite good.
Love that last paragraph, it is exactly what I would do to end the tale.  
beerchug.gif

Ummmm...errr..uhhh....NOPE-NOPE-NOPE.....more like....

"I dismounted, sweaty from the ride and tired. Pulling the damp helmet off, I entered my hotel room not quite shutting the door behind me. She entered, and quietly latched the door behind her.............
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

You know I fancy myself a writer. That being said, I like your effort and style. Must admit, everybody has their own tendencies and I would do things a bit differently but it is still quite good.
Love that last paragraph, it is exactly what I would do to end the tale.  
beerchug.gif
Thank you... was sitting at my place of employment and just started to type. You could call this an act of boredom. LOL

Well-spoken, man!!

I usually put my helmet on before my gloves, though.
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

Ummmm...errr..uhhh....NOPE-NOPE-NOPE.....more like....

"I dismounted, sweaty from the ride and tired.  Pulling the damp helmet off, I entered my hotel room not quite shutting the door behind me.  She entered, and quietly latched the door behind her.............
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif
Animal!

tounge.gif

r8

super.gif

super.gif

Back