The new "LIKES" option

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I know many of you have seen the new "Likes" option that is on the top of each topic and you can see there is a new text link on the right side of the screen in each post.

Here is what this is for.

This is NOT to say that you like a person....

We have a good relationship with the search engines, Google, Bing, Yahoo and many others. By far the biggest way that people find our site is by using search engines. What this new likes feature is for is to start ranking individual post.

We all know that a good thread can get jacked and taken off course, what the likes button is for is to identify individual post within a thread that people like.

Several things happen when someone "likes" the post.

1. The post count on the top of the screen (A pull down menu) will tell you the rank of creators of messages. Its a counter to let you know who in that thread posted and that persons message was liked by many people....

2. Everytime someone post something that is "liked" their profile goes up by one. You might be able to use this as a gauge to see how someone is accepted on the forum. I hate to use the word reputation but in its own way it could be a way to tell if someone is well received on the forum.

3. These post that are marked as "Liked" will be submitted to the search engines each night and you should start to see in short time Google pick up and start labeling messages as "Liked" along with the topic. This allows us to put more relevant post out for people to find us on the Internet.

So....... This is not a popularity contest to see who can get the most liked post, it isnt about the person its about the content. If you see a message in a thread that you think really stands out above and needs to be marked for others to see then by all means click it.... But please don't use it as a popularity contest.

All the mods that we add to the forum are designed to help make the content easier to find, more specific to searches and more accurate to the needs of the people searching...

let me know if you have any questions...

I am working on changing the heart icon to something else so you know....

cap

I was getting some complaints about seeing the like text on each post so I changed it where it only shows up when you mouse over the post area...

Back