The movie      jarhead

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Great cinamatography, good sound...crummy story line.

If thats what it was really like over there for some of the soldiers...ok then.

The flick just painted a poor picture of marines if you ask me.

If it was factual ok then.

I hope it wasn't.

Yer thoughts?

haven't seen it.
ok then.... thank you for that well thought out commentary.
laugh.gif

I too have viewed this movie and it was very accurate, especially the waiting....I was in the first wave of Marines arrived on 5 of Aug 90 and did not come home until April 91. IMHO outsiders (civilians) do not really understand how things happened over there.
wink.gif
Alot of events were not portrayed, but then again it's only a Hollywood portrayal....

Rub, I have been interested in seeing this movie sometime. I read the IMDB quite a lot for intelligent references and sometimes that works okay. http://imdb.com/title/tt0418763/usercomments?filter=chrono

Sounds like it's perhaps not as "positive" as most standard hollywood war flicks or portrails where we win, everyone kicks tush, and we all learn lessons in life. it's based on a book or memoir of one guy just doing a job. so misses all the action and intrigue of a well planned movie, I guess. I wouldn't mind seeing a change of pace war movie for once. I know two people in the service and I'll see what they thought of it. I know the stories I have heard so far are way less than movie worthy: sitting around waiting for nothing for 12 days, sleeping on dirt....

The best part of PVT Ryan to me was the very ending where the guy wants reassurance.... REALLY makes you think about life and what you are going to put into it, how fragile it is. Awesome power in that movie

Hey Rubb

How this take a vote from the Marines that were there and see how accurate the movie really is..:D

Respectfully
from a former Jarhead

<!--EDIT|321CYA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141964559 -->

I too have viewed this movie and it was very accurate, especially the waiting....I was in the first wave of Marines arrived on 5 of Aug 90 and did not come home until April 91. IMHO outsiders (civilians) do not really understand how things happened over there.  
wink.gif
Alot of events were not portrayed, but then again it's only a Hollywood portrayal....
so a good percentage of this movie is fairly accurate then?

It seems then that the writers and directors took a fairly boring part of military history and made a movie of it.

Did the "in fighting" portrayed in the movie really happen to some extent "over there" ?

Hey Rubb

How this take a vote from the Marines that were there and see how accurate the movie really is..:D

Respectfully
from a former Jarhead
neat idea....some where probably in different circumstances/different locales/etc...so it may or may not be accurate to what the movie is suggesting.

cool idea thou.

It wasnt to that degree, on occasion a blanket party was called for..However when you have that much aggression on tap... something has to give, a release has to happen it keeps Marines at the ready....OOHRAH

RSD-
Was deployed then - and deployed again for Enduring/Iraqi Freedom.

The movie was fairly realistic - this is what happened with us - both times:
We had a huge work up. Marines (and other services) got all worked up and psyched out for combat. Then we got there and sat. And sat. And sat. And sat. We got very board withe the thought that we were going, then not, then going....then when we started out it, there wasn't the big enemy that we thought we were up against. The longer we sat and waited, the more that people began to question the importance of people being there and what the American government was doing. Then factor in all the times when people got hurt in non-combat related accidents. Then factor in the dumb things that people did when they got bored --- in the heat, etc.
Then - factor in the significant others and family problems that come in thought letters (remember most people didn't know what email was at that point)....
So, personally - the movie was fairly realistic. We Marines think very highly of ourselves, and we are fortunate that many poeple worldwide think the same. But the bottom line is that we are people just like everyone else and if a schmuck becomes a Marine, more than likely they will be a schmuck Marine. But, all that said, Marines can be pretty intense and when you place us in an environment where we are worked up but with nothing to do, we find ways to amuse ourselves.

Just my .02

Back