JARHEAD - MOVIE

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
Lord... I wasted my money today on a political flick...
sad.gif
That movie was soooo boring, I wanted to walk out... They didn't shoot a single person except for the accident that occurred during boot camp... grrrrrr.....

To sum it up... It was about a bunch of marines jacking-off in the middle of oil fields... Those that have seen it will know what I mean... ;)

Save your money; if you must see it, see it when you don't have to pay for it...

I saw it tonight as well, was disappointed that they didn't get any action. It was an ok movie, emphasis ok.

It had its funny moments, had the dirty too (think about what guys would do if they were alone together for a long time). I agree with the first post, or at least wait until it is on video.

a friend at work has a son in the marines and they are going to go see it. having been over there, I wonder what his perspective will be on this movie? maybe it wasn't suppose to be an action flick. I thought it looked good but sounds like maybe thetrailers are misleading [again!]

If you think about it, the first war was exactly that...sitting in the desert and waiting for 9 months before the war and then it was over in a matter of days. I was all hyped up and ready to go to war....but it was over before we even got out of Boot Camp. I'll skip it. Doesn't sound like it rates with the rest of the good DVDs that I collect...Platoon, FMJ, Private Ryan, Green Berets, Dirty Dozen, etc.

They Kick a cool soundtrack for the trailer...it had me ready to kick somebodies a$$!
biggrin.gif

thanks for the heads up

From my perspective....
The movie was probably about as realistic as it could have been.  I found myself following where the movie was going and knowing where it would end up.  I laughed at parts and a couple of places actually made me think back to those days.  But there are a lot of people who were there, then.  This movie is dead on about the preparation, the arrival, the waiting, then the throw into what we knew to be a combat environment vs. what it actually was.  All the waiting, SCUD alerts, in and out of MOPP gear, etc.  This movie depicts what was going on over there pretty well.  As far as Iraqi freedom, there are no parrallels between this movie and Iraq/Afghanistan, other than they all occured in the Persian Gulf.  The movie depicts a Marine Corps somewhat different than what exists today.  I went to see it expecting that it would be crap - and found myself reflecting on a lot of things I hadn't thought about in around 14 years.  My best friend, a GySgt (18 years in) went to see it yesterday and he took several of the Marines that he works with to see it.  A lot of them hated the movie, thought it was a bogus story.  They came in between '98 and now, after a lot of lessons learned had been incorporated Corps wide.  Some had been to Iraqi Freedom, and stated that it was nothing like that over there - and I agree.  Operations Desert Shield/Storm were nothing like Enduring or Iraqi Freedom.  Again, the movie wasn't a bang bang shoot them up, because, for the most part, neither was Desert Storm.
Just my .02

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131217384 -->

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to take the wife to it last night but decided against it. Now I'm glad I didn't go.

It's a military movie so it still has to be added to my DVD's. I'm kind of compulsive about war stuff.

Chris

I saw it tonight as well, was disappointed that they didn't get any action.  It was an ok movie, emphasis ok.  

It had its funny moments, had the dirty too (think about what guys would do if they were alone together for a long time).  I agree with the first post, or at least wait until it is on video.
Anyone who's ever been in the fleet and in the field for any period of time, realizes exactly what can go on when guys have a sh#t load of down time and are bored out of their minds.

I haven't seen the movie and don't plan to anytime soon, but I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Back