The long way to a Hayabusa :)

Dmitrius

Registered
Hi,

My name is Dmitriy. I have never ridden a motorcycle and have never owned one. I am going to take the basic rider's course in April and hopefully will get a Ninja 500 shortly thereafter.

Here's my question: What kind of experience does it take to a ride a hayabusa safely and confidently? 500cc->600->1000->1300 ? Can the transition to a Busa be made from 600cc? And how many miles do you need to ride before doing that?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

To ride safe and confident on a Busa is building up your confidence and safty on the 500cc or 600cc tha you are looking at. You can be just as NOT safe on a smaller bike. Ride with your head and not your balls and you will know when you are ready. Ride the way you like and want not how others wnat you to ride and you will be fine.

good point ne.

to the new guy:
there's really no 'beginner's bike'. if you fall those 600cc ninjas would hurt you just as bad. since you are going to take the course first, save the 'getting a beginner's bike' money and put it in a busa and take your time on it. you'll be fine if you are patient and ride at your skill level.

It is all about the mindset. If you want to go out and stunt on a bike a 600 can hurt you just like a Busa. If you respect the bike and understand what it is capable of you will okay. The only difference will then be the cost of bike repair if/when something happens. Taking the MSF course is definitely the right move and you may want to add some riding skills books as well. Good luck!

You can kill yourself on any size bike. It's mainly about you. The more you ride hopefully the more you will learn. Some people will become good riders in a few months, others may take a year or two. Start with the MSF class and remember to respect the machine and to look out for others. Some of the biggest mistakes made by new riders is to ride too fast on a unfamiliar road, and to try and keep up with faster and more experienced riders on a road you are familiar with but not at their pace.

I disagree with Willgetbusa, I suggest you DO buy a smaller bike to begin. I would recommend the SV650. It behaves very well, and still has decent power, with acceleration is equal to a 600. And insurance is MUCH less than a 600. I'm confidant a rider could go from a SV to a Busa, and save a lot of bike-jumping.

As with any bike, it's up to the rider to think safe, and ride safe.

why would you even want any big bike as a first one. get a smaller ride and have some fun LEARNING on it!try a enduro for a season or two. theres more to just riding its not crashing also and really being able to ride the bike. not just controlling it.

Its all about having the right mind set, use your head, anticipate other vehicles actions and respond accordingly, keep a mental inventory of traffic around you,... and ease in to the power of the busa, and oh yeah enjoy it its a hell of a bike.

I disagree with Willgetbusa, I suggest you DO buy a smaller bike to begin.  I would recommend the SV650.  It behaves very well, and still has decent power, with acceleration is equal to a 600.  And insurance is MUCH less than a 600.  I'm confidant a rider could go from a SV to a Busa, and save a lot of bike-jumping.

As with any bike, it's up to the rider to think safe, and ride safe.
"As with any bike, it's up to the rider to think safe, and ride safe."

that's exactly my point so why waste so much money on starting on a sv600 first to get to a busa?  he might as well start on a scooter and move up every 50cc increments until he reaches 1300cc. if an inexperience person cracks the throttle or floor a gas pedal in a car while learning how to drive, the chance of him/her getting hurt is very high and it doesn't matter what the size or type of the vehicle is.

to the new guy:

all the suggestions on this topic are good and my suggestion about being patient and ride at your skill level is base on my and my friends' experiences because we all started on big bikes and made it out okay. however, you should do what makes you comfortable.

like some suggested already, 'mindset and attitude' are more important than what type of machine it is so think patience, safety and always ride at your skill level on any bike.

<!--EDIT|willgetbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102299358 -->

Start with the smaller bike. A used one that runs good is all you need. Keep it a couple of seasons and learn how it works with you. Then step up to a higher class bike.

I rode a 600 first and I'm glad I did...would you learn to drive in a racecar?
Not everyone can buy a 600 today and a Busa next month.
alien.gif

I went Kawasaki ZR7S to SV1000S to Busa in the span of about 5 months. Seems to have worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

If you never rode before don't get a Busa. I think the main thing to remember is if your "showing off" you will wreck!!! But that is not just limited to a Busa. Motorcycles are great but can be very dangerous. If and when you go out riding always, always expect a car to pull out. I have owned a few bikes and have crashed many times, luckly nothing life threatening. Not to scare you but chances are you will probably crash. Infact I know very few people who have not crashed.

I appreciate everyone's responses. My question, however, was not about how to begin riding motorcycles, but about the proper/typical transition to high CC bikes. Special thanks to Noltez and Chronos for addressing that issue.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

P.S.
I understand that you can hurt yourself with any kind of bike. Although my knowledge of bikes is purely theoretical, it is my understanding that some bikes are less demanding than others, and therefore more forgiving of rider's mistakes. It seems one is less likely to get hurt due his own mistakes on a Ninja 500 than an R6 or GSXR600.

I agree with just about everyone here. I am looking to get a busa as my first bike soon, although I have ridden lots of bikes, I just never owned one. I do agree that getting something like a 600 to learn on is a great idea. And eventually work your way up. But not everyone can afford to buy one bike, then go and sell it and get another bike. I'd love to get an SV1000S to ride for a year or two, then sell it and get the Busa, but financially I'd be better off just buying the Busa and taking it easy and learning the bike itself. And a lot of people have recommended taking that safety course as well. You really have to watch out for old people and people that just don't see you on the bike, they will cut you off and keep on going. You have to be defensive out there.

After you start riding, put in a year or so in on a used 600 in-line 4 ,preferably Suzuki, because you are going to need to start learning the designs for service and repair.
After you have ridden a least 10000-12000 miles, think about the move up to a larger bike.
If you think you are ready( for a Busa) go for it.
And get all the training you can (I.E) track days, suspension seminars,and whatever else you can find.

I don't believe it is dangerous to ride an Hayabusa as 1st bike, but it will be more difficult to learn properly in an heavier bike. Buy a cheap and used bike to learn, than move on to the Busa. My 2 cents.

Back