The KANJI

giopapy

Registered
Today I knew a japanese guy that lives in my town,
He can speak italian as japanese with no problem.
I showed him the kanji on my Busa and I asked him the meaning of that logo.
He said that it has no meanings in his language nad probably
is not his language to.
So I wondered why???
Is not HAYABUSA a japanese name???
I told him about the falcon and all the story but... he said
that the falcon has another name ( dunno how to write it !!)
and the only things he knows who's name is HAYABUSA are just
the airplane and the SUZUKI bike.
? ?

hayabusa means strong and fast
the falcon is the Pergerine Falcon. the fastest most aerodynamic animal on the planet.

do some web searches for hayabusa, and you will find the info.....

Strong and fast...but not in Japanese.
Probably it has to be another language, or the guy gave me wrong information.

Strong and fast...but not in Japanese.
Probably it has to be another language, or the guy gave me wrong information.
I did some intense research on this a while ago. It is actually a more ancient form of Japanese than what is currently used. Translation is hard, but very loosely it means, "I'm a homo"
smileyexhibit.gif
j/k. I'm interested in hearing why your friend who is fluent doesn't recognize the symbol or the name.

Lance

A friend of mine from work says the same thing - that it means nothing to her. But she's from Hong Kong.

rock.gif

The Hayabusa kanji is the name of the Falcon, the bird is strong and fast. In japanese names given to things are discriptions, the falcon is stong and fast, thus why some translate the kanji as meaning 'stong and fast'.

Kinda hard to explain, similar to how kamakazi means 'devine wind'.

Most likely the japanese people you are talking to just dont know the kanji. There are over 6000 kanji in the Japanese language, but only about 2000 that are commonly used. Kanji, in simple term, is just a way of shortening the lenth of a sentence and to define other meaning of a word pronouced the exact same way. Since only 2000 are commonly used, most people dont bother to learn the other 4000, understandably.

Thats the japanese lesson for today
Class Dismissed
tounge.gif

My mother is 76 years old. When she came to visit me in Japan she had not been back except for a 3 week trip in 92' in 42 years(my mother is Japanese and left after marrying my father in the late forties or early fifties). My mother would not speak japanese to strangers and had me translate larger conversations. When I ask why her response was this, "I grew up here in this city but the japanese that is spoken now is different. Its not the language as it was". I guess as more western influences enter the asian culture there is a need for new words and certainly newer dilects. When I purchased my scooter(in japan) there was no doubt what it was. Yes it does mean powerful and fast also used for WWII plane and once again a peregrine falcon. Kanji symbols mean many things it depends on the context.

FATJAP

Sheot, I had to install a petcock valve on my account so I could drain it as the busa asked for it. There is always something she wants, worse than my girlfriend and a lot meaner!
wink.gif

that's weird, my girlfriend is from Japan and when she saw the Kanji on my bike, (which is a Chinese character), she said "Hayabusa" - she knows nothing about bikes and immediately recognized the character as Hayabusa, the falcon ....  she is from southern Japan if that makes a difference ...

and no she didn't read the english "Hayabusa" either - ha ha, she recognized the symbol.

<!--EDIT|banditoo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074102202 -->

I lived in Japan for about 8 years. 5 in Yokosuka, 1 in Yokomama, and 2 on Okinawa. It was always interesting to me that when asked about the various Kanji symbols some of the Japanese people would readily explain what the symbol meant, and others would simply stated that "I don't understand that one." Japan is a very incredable place to live and visit by the way. Very beautiful roads for motorcycling, and very nice people.

I seem to remember reading in another thread on this subject, long ago, that there is also a high-speed train in Japan called the Hayabusa.....
rock.gif

I think it looks cool on the bike.........................lol thats all the meaning i need to know.I also learned it adds 3.5 hp on the top.

that's weird, my girlfriend is from Japan and when she saw the Kanji on my bike, (which is a Chinese character......
Say what? I thought that Kanji are Japanese symbols not Chinese. Explain please? I am always open to learn if you have the facts.
To my understanding Kanji is the Japanese word for the Chinese characters they use in the Japanese language. The Japanese language has 3 sets of characters, (4 actually), there is Hirogana, Katakana, Kanji and Romaji. Kanji is the old ancient language from the old country China, most Japanese only know a few of the Chinese characters of this language, (which is where our Hayabusa logo is from). Hirogana and Katakana are the mainstay of the language today and Romaji is the Japanese language using English characters - for example "Sayonara" is the Romaji for goodbye.

Does that make sense ?? Geez, I almost lost myself on that explanation - LOL !!

I thought the busa would get me a Japanese girl friend. It has not worked. The dealer told me there was a gaurantee of girlfriend in the manual, I took his word for it. Still, no girl friend. Some say it has to do with my face. Still waiting for Japanese girl friend.

Back