Japanese Translation

LA Busa

Top 5 Femme Moto Finisher
Donating Member
Registered
Today, a friend and I took a visit to a newly opened Japanese restaurant here.
After stumbling through the menu and placing our order I "popped" the question.
I deliberately wore my Busa hat!
I held up the hat and asked them, "what does this writing mean"?
Each one of them, man and woman alike not only gave me a translation but thought that it was cool that someone (here in Alabama) was inquiring about thier native language.

So, the first guy holds up his arms like he was pointing a rifle, he said "center". It means "focus on the center of the target". A Japanese chick came by seeing the stir I had created and she said, in broken English "Focus".

The guy at the counter, the one who seated us, came to the table and asked what the English writing on the hat said and I told him "Hayabusa", "I think it is some sort of bird". He agreed and looked at the script, then pulled out a piece of paper and more or less made the same character on it with his pen.

From there we talked about Nextel Cup, they did not think stock car racing was all that cool because we just race in circles. Then I told them that Toyota was about to enter the competition and they sorta smiled.
They asked me if "GM was a bad make of vehicle", again in broken English. I told them "no, they are just big and slow, like our motorcycles tend  to be"!!!
Some big redneck dude who was in there eating and sorta watching me work the group was not enjoying all of this near as much as I was!

Anyway, they all told me that our beloved Kanji script means "FOCUS"!

Not speed and power, just.....
FOCUS!

How bout that?

<!--EDIT|YH2K
Reason for Edit: "My Japanese is terrible!"|1138320067 -->

cool.gif

There are so many variations of Kanji.  we went through this a while back and even had a Japanese expert with definitions.  Symbol for swift as in Falcon.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138326707 -->

Last summer we had some people at our house they both were from Japan. The man has always lived in Japan and it was his first time in the US he did not speak very good english but when they walked out to my garage and he saw my bike he pointed at the Kanji on the side and said Hayabusa. So I ask him what it ment and he said through his wife who spoke better english strong and fast. He was very impessed with the bike he had never seen one.

When your doin 190 mph + you better be strong, fast, centered .... and VERY FOCUSED!
cool.gif

Hey lets get to the bottom of this once and for all!

How about we have Dr. Sachiko Matsunaga Professor of Japanese at UCLA decipher our kanji and get the right answer.  Her current research project involves the learning processes of Japanese syllabic symbols by nonnative readers.

If anyone would know she should http://www.calstatela.edu/academic/mld/sachiko.htm

I emailed her about a month ago no success but I will keep trying.  Maybe if we all asked somebody would get an answer.  

Maybe it has no meaning?

you people are alll wrong.  the kanji translates into FAST!!!!!!!!"

<!--EDIT|rubbersidedown
Reason for Edit: "no need for that word. did you 4get."|1138339964 -->

Geez Rub, I hope for your sake that the '07 doesn't suck. You might have to get a big ugly Paul Snr cover job. Well, I guess no can question your loyalty.

"They asked me if "GM was a bad make of vehicle", again in broken English. I told them "no, they are just big and slow, like our motorcycles tend to be"!!!"

You ever want that little fallacy about "slow" above corrected, me and my little old Chevrolet can help ya.

"They asked me if "GM was a bad make of vehicle", again in broken English. I told them "no, they are just big and slow, like our motorcycles tend  to be"!!!"

You ever want that little fallacy about "slow" above corrected, me and my little old Chevrolet can help ya.
Just dont sic that Nova on me dude!

Hey, I have a '74 Vette with a ZZ4 in it - I have not pitted it against the Busa yet, I dont want either of them to get their feelings hurt!

Back