The great idle speed controversy

xzvs

Registered
I have an 05 Busa (California model)and for the first 2 years I owned it I had to keep bumping the idle up (stalling etc)
I moved back home to Louisiana and now the opposite is true -- I keep having to lower it.
Weird eh?
Is the gasoline the difference -- altitude?

it's not logical..... if I was to try to guess.. crappy gas in cali making injectors dirtier.. lots of high detergent fuel in loui trying to clean them back up???

Ya I know -- its for sure weird
She has always run like a raped ape tho. The more I ride her here tho the more the idle creeps up on me.

I thought everyone knew that they do things a bit backwards in LA.

j/k - That is strange though. The screw should want to vibrate out, not in. Has one of your buddies has recently purchased a long skinny screwdriver recently?
I have a devious mind

In cali i thought the screw was vibrating out on me, so I took it out and loctited it -- it then became apparent to me that it wasn't backing out.
It's gotta be different gas, because I run in the general same altitudes here (with the exception of the mountains in cali)

I've noticed in cooler air temps it'll run a higher idle and in hot air temps it'll run lower.

So colder air is more dense than hot air, which means more oxygen in cold air. So when its hot, my bike is too rich and idles low. While in the cold, the mix is just right and it idles higher.

A guess anyway...

I've noticed in cooler air temps it'll run a higher idle and in hot air temps it'll run lower.

So colder air is more dense than hot air, which means more oxygen in cold air. So when its hot, my bike is too rich and idles low. While in the cold, the mix is just right and it idles higher.

A guess anyway...
temperatures here are similar -- but humidity is a lot higher here most of the time -- wonder how big a factor that is ?

Mine does that too. I'll set the idle speed and over a few weeks, it will increase somewhat.

Weird.

--Wag--

California gas has a LOT of alcohol (an oxidizer), the liberals thought it would be good for the air.......It wasn't. So, we still have this mix and it will cause the mixture to be lean.

Ron

Back