The front vibrates at high speed

IG.

Registered
Ever since I went down in '05, my front end would vibrate slightly at high speeds depending on how bumpy the road is. Also, would move if I hit a bump. If I pull on the nose up, there is a little bit of play there (about 1-2 mm). I traced it to the upper bolt which holds the fairing stay bracket - that's the one the front cowling is attached to and it's the one the gauges are attached to. So, I looked with a flashlight thinking I just need to tighten that sucker, but it seems there is a rubber bushing in there, and also the nut is one of those which is closed on one end. So, do I just try to tighten it, replace the nut and tighten?

I know, at the time I replaced the whole bracket with a new one. Maybe I tightened OK at the time, but the rubber bushing weakened. Maybe I didn't tighten it enough.

The manual says 16.5 lbxft. Pain in the neck to reach, too.

Any suggestions?

Either check or have your head bearings checked. Make sure the rim/tire is true and balanced.

I may have been imprecise in my description. There is no vibration like something is out of balance. It's that the nose has a little bit of a play and as you go over a bump or when I ride over road imperfections (which create more impact at higher speeds), the nose goes slightly up and down. Which I don't think it should.

the bushings for the front fairing stay are pretty tough. I would also check the mounts for the intake snorkles they also help support the fron nose and prevent to much vibration. Check the gromets where the headlight attaches to the fairing stay too. There's two of them that attach to the headlight assembly. If they're not seating it could cause vibs.

So its not a suspension type issue or it is? If so, I would recommend getting that looked at by a pro. It'll be cheaper/safer/smarter to get that worked out rather than going down in a corner from unexpected bump in the road. Let us know how you fixed it...and stay safe until then.
Posted via Mobile Device

So its not a suspension type issue or it is? If so, I would recommend getting that looked at by a pro. It'll be cheaper/safer/smarter to get that worked out rather than going down in a corner from unexpected bump in the road. Let us know how you fixed it...and stay safe until then.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not a suspension. It's the nose part which has some play in it as I described in my original post. Bike been way into triple digits numerous times, inclduing a number of track days with no issues in corners or on straights.

OK, I tightened the upper bolt which holds the nose bracket. Much better. Almost no play. Rode a little and the front shakes a lot less. I am guessing I didn't tighten it enough whenn I installed it. :thumbsup:

Back