The florida trip from hell (bike week was the plan)

So let me get this straight.. you talked your buddy into buying a mo-ped that got him locked up in jail. Then you proceeded to enjoy yourself at Spring Break while his sorry arse sat locked up in jail??

With friends like you.... well..... you know how that saying goes.

Very interesting story. :laugh:

Put your buddy on a moped and take as a riding partner to Daytona, whom of course has never left New England or ridden either :whistle:

But you are on a Busa ? ....

Was this the offending vehicle that you brought ?

Florida moped.jpg

Crazy...you would think they would give him a ticket for riding the moped. Actual jail time is just plain rediculous. Glad the rest of the trip was fun for you. :thumbsup:

Guys,
Here's what I can figure out happenned with your friend. First let me say. I live in Miami, ride to the keys all the time on my Busa. So I'm familiar with the laws here. 1: You don't have to go through a motorcycle training course. However, if you want to just get your bike endorsement and not have to take the DMV test, you take the course . Otherwise you take the test. Your insurance is also cheaper when you go through the course (that is if you find a company crazy enough to ensure a Busa here). 2: As for insurance, not needed for the bike. However, if you're going to ride without a helmet, which is permitted, you need some type of medical coverage. If you don't have it through your job, then you need to get some kind of insurance. However, still not enforced here. Thats it. My Busa is paid up and I have no insurance on the bike and I have been stopped by the police. So that is my proof that it is legal to ride without insurance. I can't seem to find an insurance company here crazy enough to insure a Busa due to the risk. So I ride without it but at least the bike is all paid up and I have medical for myself.
Which leads me to the cops cracking down. I posted something relevent to this on another thread....I did mention that no one in Miami wants to ensure a Busa here? Many of the Bikers in this city are Freakin CRAZY! Thats why they don't insure Busas here and why the cops are cracking down. Too many dead sport Bikers each year! It really gives us a bad name here! We only have our fellow bikers to blame for that.
As for your friend and the scooter, yeah...thats pretty exagerated! They were taking advantage of the situation becuase it was bike week! However, thanks to alot of the immigrants moving here and riding mopeds without any type of education and paperwork, and also causing alot of accidents, they had to tighten the reigns on scooters and mopeds and other small 2 wheelers. Sorry to hear man. Now I'm upset because writing all of this reminds how alot of our fellow bikers make things worse for the rest of us!
On the lighter side, sounds like you had a blast. South Florida is a great party place when its done right. Sounds like the other parts of your trip went just right! ;-)

I like the part about the long bridge on a hot sunny day and the sun setting.:beerchug: I can picture myself being there.

I was told the NEW Florida law states that if you do not have a endorsement from another state you are required to take the basic rider course ($275.00)for 20 hours. DMV no longer offers road tests for motorcycles. My insurance for my 08 is $230 a year in Coral Springs through Geico.

Guys,
Here's what I can figure out happenned with your friend. First let me say. I live in Miami, ride to the keys all the time on my Busa. So I'm familiar with the laws here. 1: You don't have to go through a motorcycle training course. However, if you want to just get your bike endorsement and not have to take the DMV test, you take the course . Otherwise you take the test. Your insurance is also cheaper when you go through the course (that is if you find a company crazy enough to ensure a Busa here). 2: As for insurance, not needed for the bike. However, if you're going to ride without a helmet, which is permitted, you need some type of medical coverage. If you don't have it through your job, then you need to get some kind of insurance. However, still not enforced here. Thats it. My Busa is paid up and I have no insurance on the bike and I have been stopped by the police. So that is my proof that it is legal to ride without insurance. I can't seem to find an insurance company here crazy enough to insure a Busa due to the risk. So I ride without it but at least the bike is all paid up and I have medical for myself.
Which leads me to the cops cracking down. I posted something relevent to this on another thread....I did mention that no one in Miami wants to ensure a Busa here? Many of the Bikers in this city are Freakin CRAZY! Thats why they don't insure Busas here and why the cops are cracking down. Too many dead sport Bikers each year! It really gives us a bad name here! We only have our fellow bikers to blame for that.
As for your friend and the scooter, yeah...thats pretty exagerated! They were taking advantage of the situation becuase it was bike week! However, thanks to alot of the immigrants moving here and riding mopeds without any type of education and paperwork, and also causing alot of accidents, they had to tighten the reigns on scooters and mopeds and other small 2 wheelers. Sorry to hear man. Now I'm upset because writing all of this reminds how alot of our fellow bikers make things worse for the rest of us!
On the lighter side, sounds like you had a blast. South Florida is a great party place when its done right. Sounds like the other parts of your trip went just right! ;-)

I was told the NEW Florida law states that if you do not have a endorsement from another state you are required to take the basic rider course ($275.00)for 20 hours. DMV no longer offers road tests for motorcycles. My insurance for my 08 is $230 a year in Coral Springs through Geico.

This is correct. If you look on myflorida.com under the DMV section it is now mandatory for anyone getting a new Motorcycle endorcement you must take the saftey course. Good thing for me, I have heard that FCCJ (community college here in Jacksonville) offers this course and if so my work will repay me because it can be considered a college course......

So let me get this straight.. you talked your buddy into buying a mo-ped that got him locked up in jail. Then you proceeded to enjoy yourself at Spring Break while his sorry arse sat locked up in jail??

With friends like you.... well..... you know how that saying goes.

No I had to pay 1000 dollars to get his broke a** out. And further more I bought the scooter so he could go and have fun. He got to enjoy everything I did, and a lot of alcohol makes you forget a lot for the time being.:laugh:

He wasn't waring a helmet and thats why he probably got a ticket for that. This didn't happen in Daytona we didn't make it there yet. It happend in in a town right near Orlando.

This is correct. If you look on myflorida.com under the DMV section it is now mandatory for anyone getting a new Motorcycle endorcement you must take the saftey course. Good thing for me, I have heard that FCCJ (community college here in Jacksonville) offers this course and if so my work will repay me because it can be considered a college course......

I had to do that in 1969 when I was in the Navy to get mine. I guess it just takes some folks a while to catch on to a good idea.

In Tennessee if you take the MSF you don't have to take any additional tests to get the MC endorsement.

I have a 08 busa and insurance is $235.00 per year full coverage ...no points age 40 with 1 car added on State Farm. Tampa F.L

Last edited:
Thats a heck of a story. More details would have been nice. :poke:
Glad you still managed to have a good time. If anything, getting arrested makes for a good beer story out by the BBQ.. :laugh:

I got caught doing wheelie for about 1/4 mile in fl during Daytona Bike week . Man that trooper was hauling ass and he just wanted to see my ride, he heard then saw my 2008 HAYABUSA TURBO orange bike winding and saw my NOS chrome bottles on each side of my ride.
I handed him my license and it had (4) $100 dollars bill attached with it on a plastic paper clip. He let me slide with no ticket and also gave back my license with the 4 bills attached.
He was a BUSA owner as well. Lucky me

Last edited:
My cousin and I took our GIXXERS to Florida about 5 years ago, and stayed in Orlando with plans on going down to Dayton and the Keys. We rode all over Orlando and never had any issued. However when we got the Keys on one of the first islands, I got pulled over (I was only going 20, cause we were stuck in a traffic Jam). Cop said he pulled me over because my license plate was on my Swing arm, which was supposedly illegal in FL, and that he could not see my rear turn signals from a certain distance (I had a hot bodies undertail kit with LED turn signals.). This was in the middle of the day, hot as hell, he had us sitting there forever. Did not care that we were from Texas and that my bike had a current inspection sticker for TX, he told me well you are not in Texas and the laws are different here. Was a real jerk too, telling me the only reason people have license plates on the swing arms are to run from the cops and go through toll roads for free by covering the plate with thier foot. Also told me that if I wanted to fight it that he would definatly show up for the court date, and I was like, I live in TX, you know I am not going to make a special trip to Florida to fight a $200 ticket. Anyhow, he finally let us go, never got stopped again by any of the other Cops in the Keys or Florida which we passed many of them, especially when cruising in Key West. I never paid the ticket, so i guess I have a warrent for my arrest or something other there, who cares, I live in TX. He was a major jerk!

Back