The florida trip from hell (bike week was the plan)

chrisrod

Registered
Ok just got back from Florida by the way. Went there for bike week and it turned into a mounth trip. Nice yes and no!! Big problems, I figured you guys would injoy this one.
So for starters my wife loves Disany World so of corse we have to fit that into the bike week trip. I live in CT and I have a friend that has never been out of New England, so what do I do I tell him he is going to have the time of his life, and show him there is a big world out there. Well he doesn't ride doesn't have a licence, so what do we do. I know in CT we see 49cc mopeds every where serched the web didn't find any info about needing a licence, reg, or ins. When ridding a 49cc moped and like I said we see it all the time and I thought that would have been great a Hayabusa and a 49cc moped rolling down the road together. Well bad idea I guess. We went to Kissimee first to do Disany then planed on going to Daytona. What do I do I came from CT which just got like 12 to 18 in of snow I want to ride my bike. Within the first 3 hours of checking into the room my buddy gets arrested and thrown in the slammer. He isn't the type to be in jail eather, and the jail's in CT are alot different they made him change into an orenge jump suit and everything. All for driveing a 49cc moped with no licence, reg, and ins.
Tell me that isn't rediculouse. Talk about reuining a vacation. The cort system doesn't even care we are from out of state. We decided it was cheaper to just stay around and wait till they give him a court date. So we flew my wife home cas she had to go to work I'm curently laid off and my friend doesn't work eather his parents help him out. Now the good news the wife is gone my bike is here I'm in Florida and who ever went to bike week knows when we got there it was kinda chilly, well the weather was changing and did I menchon I have my bike with me. We canceled my room in Daytona to save some money cas we had a kinda exspensive room. Well I made it there anyways found a cheap room and seen the bike race on friday and the motor cross on saterday and then went out on saterday night for a while and yes I had a blast.
It even gets better your probably thinking how, but did I mension I have a cousin that lives in little tourch key which is about 30 to 35 min from Key West and it's spring break. OOOOOH Ya I have a pic of me at the most southern point on my bike. And did I tell you my cousin is a party animal. We stayed with her for a week they have a boat and everything we did some fishing and just watched the sun set a couple of times, it was a blast. If you haven't been on the 7 mile bridge with your bike on a nice day well you need to put it on the list of things to do.
And no the fun doesn't stop here I have about 5 cousins that live in West Palm Beach. So we moved the party to there. The water in WPB is almost as nice as the Keys. I belive all thing happen for a reason and I haven't seen my family in like 10 to 15 years. It was a blast and I had my bike.:thumbsup:
My buddy is probably going to end up with about 1000 to 1500 dollars in fines. He went to cort for the reg thing and they made him pay a fine. They provided him with a public defender and he said we didn't have to appear in cort he could go for him, so trip ended we came home on thursday on no sleep. I got 3 hours of sleep in like 48 hours we tried to stop but I just couldn't sleep so I kept driveing. Then on friday night we got stuck in traffic getting on the Jersy Turnpike it took 3 hours to go 6 miles not happy, but there was so much traffic it kept me up. Finnaly got home at 1 in the am. Hope you guys enjoy my exstended good and bad vacation story. And yes it feels good to sleep in my own bed.:thumbsup:

Something tells me the people who rented the moped to your friend should play some kind of larger role in your vacation...

Sounds like a wild time!

Three cheers for spell-checker, though! Dayum.

FL motorcycle laws are worse than ever and they are cracking down big time because of the state defecit this year. Just sold the Busa and likely to get a track bike where I won't need to woorry about tickets, insurance or having a motorcycle endorsed license.

No need for license and ins on a 49cc scooter here as far as i know. Florida is really tightening the screws on bikes i hear. Glad ya'll had a good time and got home safe.

Not sure how to work the spell check thing on here and ya not that good with the computer and tryed to type this kinda quick. I'll work on that. I think the prob was that once you bring the scooter on the road everything changes. The scooter wasn't rented we brought it with us to save money, bought it for 550 dollars and planed on selling it when we got home, it would have costed like 500 dollars to rent one for a week.

And for the future, paragraphs are your BEST friends! Makes it really tough to read a huge wall of text.

Not sure how to work the spell check thing on here and ya not that good with the computer and tryed to type this kinda quick. I'll work on that. I think the prob was that once you bring the scooter on the road everything changes. The scooter wasn't rented we brought it with us to save money, bought it for 550 dollars and planed on selling it when we got home, it would have costed like 500 dollars to rent one for a week.

No worries, bro...just bustin' your chops a bit.

Though I will admit, I almost gave up a couple of times...:rofl:

Did I miss something? Why did he get pulled over in the first place. They don't just pull people over for no reason around here. Glad you turned it into a positive time and had fun anyway.

FL motorcycle laws are worse than ever and they are cracking down big time because of the state defecit this year. Just sold the Busa and likely to get a track bike where I won't need to woorry about tickets, insurance or having a motorcycle endorsed license.
You don't have to register off-highway vehicles?

Sorry for your friend, but sounds like you made the best of it, and I think you top Sambusa as far as the bum thing goes :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great time, sorry to hear about your bro going to jail for riding a scooter! I always rode without a endorsement before but now that I live in Florida I left my bike sitting while I sat around through the living hell that was a 20 hour basic riding course that you HAVE to take to get your endorsement! Insurance was only $220 for a year so thats no big deal.. You need insurance to ride without a helmet here. Anyway that trip to the Keys is the best, I have not made it on my bike yet but I went down in the Vette a few months ago and stayed at the Casa Maria which is the only resort in the keys with a beach that I could find!
Does your pic look something like this? :thumbsup:

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

I always see alot of people complaining about Florida laws. It's beautiful to ride year round. Wear a helmet, have a liscense and keep your tag mounted the right way. What is so difficult about that. People getting rid of there bikes because of the laws , I just don't understand that. Sorry I just had to vent a little.

I always see alot of people complaining about Florida laws. It's beautiful to ride year round. Wear a helmet, have a liscense and keep your tag mounted the right way. What is so difficult about that. People getting rid of there bikes because of the laws , I just don't understand that. Sorry I just had to vent a little.

x2:beerchug:

Did I miss something? Why did he get pulled over in the first place. They don't just pull people over for no reason around here. Glad you turned it into a positive time and had fun anyway.

Ya he went through a yellow light and of curse I followed so he didn't get lost. I don't mind paying the ticket, but the whole scooter thing a ticket and a warning would have been nice. Wasn't really trying to go to FL and cause problems. The cop said he ran the light also, but thats the least of his worries.
To the other comments yes my pic looks like yours, but there where a lot of people around and I had no time to wait so I have some people in my pic.
The cort system and police are just like everyone else money is tight, and thats how they make there's. It would have been nice to just pay the tickes and left, well I still would have went to the familys house's just without the worries of cort on the back of our minds.

Wow sounds like a crazy time...Florida is off the chain...if your over 21 and have medical insurance....you don't need a helmet...you don't have to have insurance on a bike (just don't crash or thats yo ass)....no turn signals...:rofl:.. whew I love it here....:laugh:

Back