Temp gauge fell off gauge cluster?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
So, I start up the bike this morning as I normally do to start my 60 mile run to work. It is getting darker now in the morning, so something stood out to me once I started my ride this morning. As I got onto the interstate I noticed a flash of light coming from the cluster near the temperature gauge. Upon further inspection, the needle and mount seems to have fallen off of the post by about 75%.

It is hard to tell, but I think that the peg may be broken, but the gauge still works. As the bike sits still, it looks fine and stock, but when you hit a bump it is clearly not right. The gauge still works, so I really don't know what is going on with it and need to take it apart.

The previous owner of the bike had put an aftermarket face plate on the cluster, so I am hoping that the temp gauge has just come lose, but not sure.

I will do some research on how to remove the clear cover off the cluster because I have not done that before. I have had the cluster out a couple of times before to wire up accessories, but not had the clear cover off of it.

The search for a how to begins now..........

Sounded loose to me. I'd catch it my first day off instead of taking the risk of doing more damage. Best of luck.

Sounded loose to me. I'd catch it my first day off instead of taking the risk of doing more damage. Best of luck.

I'm with Do3 on this... You wouldn't want to have something happen and lose the engine because you didn't know it was getting hot. As much as you ride, I'd get on it ASAP.

Upon further inspection on the way home in the blazing heat, it almost looks like the entire mechanism is balancing on the rod for the needle. It rocks back and forth like a pendulum or something like that, it is hard to explain.

Does this sound possible for those of you that have had the Gen II cluster completely apart?

I will be breaking it down this weekend though and will not wait until the winter.

Update: I am one of those guys that if something is not right it will bug the hell out of me. So, it only took about 10 minutes of me cooling off before I went back out to the un-air conditioned garage and took off the cluster.

The cover the the needle which is the nice black and orange part has come unglued from the base of the gauge which is the white plastic part. It was not completely unglued, so I pried it up and bit and super glued it. It is drying now, be back in 10 minutes with install/operation update.

Problem FIXED! My guess is that the previous owner removed the needle incorrectly and slightly damaged or unglued the temp gauge needle from the base. It took it 2 years to come off almost completely, so I should be good until 2013 now :)

Back